• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Transporting rabbits on a long journey

avjones1704

Young Bun
Hi guys,

So I'm moving house from Newcastle to West Yorkshire, I'm just wondering how people have transported their buns in the least distressing way possible?

Mathilda is very calm on a day to day basis but the second she gets in a carry case panics, but I can't think of a way I can avoid it?

Do any of you have any tips on how to keep her calm?

Thanks

I've taken the buns on the train from Aberystwyth to Reading.

I took one of their blankets (unwashed so it smelled of them) and kept it draped over the carry case in noisy places, to help keep them calm. I also gave them wet veg periodically, as they won't drink whilst on a journey, and cammomile flowers to help calm them. They had each other, which really helped reduce the stress for them, they huddled up together.

Neither of mine fear their carrier though, I always familiarise my animals with carriers to help reduce stress on journeys. So I think that has to be the first step for you - make her fear of the carrier go away. This is as simple as leaving it in their enclosure for long periods of time, with treats and yummy hay in it, so they play in it and get used to it.

I also had fibreplex and Critical Care on standby and the new local vet's number handy in case of stasis - thankfully there was just a small gut slowdown though.

Always worrying when a bunny panics but once in the carrier and on the journey she should settle, it would be more the being put into it that probably causes her stress...something that smells of her, or even some of her dirty litter will make her think it is her area
Make sure she has eaten before you start the journey, in case it does stress her a bit and she does't eat for a while afterwards
Don't be tempted to put her in a large cage for travelling, bunnies feel more secure in a smaller space and they cannot get slid about all over the place if the car has to break.
A comfy blanket or soft hay and small secure carrier. Put the carrier on top of some soft towels or a couple of layers of blanket, ect to absorb any vibrations, you can also put something over the carrier which will make her feel more secure ( as in down a burrow), but make sure she does not overheat as it's easy to do in a car.
when you get to your destination get her into her cage/hutch as quickly as possible, with a nice bowl of water and one of her favourite foods..and leave her completely alone for a couple of hours

I'm sure she will be fine :D and food luck with the move!

Last edited:
I have taken two of mine on a long car journey. Gave them damp grass and ignored them. They were fine. Had to take another two in car then bus. Made sure they had a cover over their carrier (it was mainly mesh - got a better one now) and grass. They were fine too. Have you got time to put the carrier in their cage/run with yummy treats inside to give it good associations before they go in it?

Always worrying when a bunny panics but once in the carrier and on the journey she should settle, it would be more the being put into it that probably causes her stress...something that smells of her, or even some of her dirty litter will make her think it is her area
Make sure she has eaten before you start the journey, in case it does stress her a bit and she does't eat for a while afterwards
Don't be tempted to put her in a large cage for travelling, bunnies feel more secure in a smaller space and they cannot get slid about all over the place if the car has to break.
A comfy blanket or soft hay and small secure carrier. Put the carrier on top of some soft towels or a couple of layers of blanket, ect to absorb any vibrations, you can also put something over the carrier which will make her feel more secure ( as in down a burrow), but make sure she does not overheat as it's easy to do in a car.
when you get to your destination get her into her cage/hutch as quickly as possible, with a nice bowl of water and one of her favourite foods..and leave her completely alone for a couple of hours

I'm sure she will be fine :D and food luck with the move!
Yes. Exactly.

Try adding the carrier to her enclosure now and she'll get used to it. Most bunnies quickly learn carrier = vet trip and react accordingly. If you get her used to going in and out now with no bad ending, it will break the association.

The only thing I'd add is to find a vet in yoru new area and register the rabbits before you move. That way if there are any post travel stress related issues you are already on someones books.

Yorkshires great btw.

Back