• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suspected Kidney Failure

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys :wave:

Two weeks ago I had to rush my little Misha to the vets because he wasn't eating. It was my first visit to this vets as I've moved back with my parents, but of course when I moved I checked out the area and had a recommendation from my previous vet and from some other bunny mums that this vets (Wilsons Vets) are very rabbit savvy. The vet was brilliant, really bunny savvy.

He ended up staying overnight to be rehydrated. I thought it might be his teeth because he was pulling food into his mouth and sucking on it but his teeth were checked and were fine. The vet suspected kidney failure and said chances are he would need to be PTS. I also explained to the vet that he has been exposed to EC in the past - I lost 5 of my 10 bunnies to EC last year. So EC again was a worry because of that and because his weight loss was so rapid. Luckily he pulled through and came back home with the advice to feed him up and see how he gets on.

Then I got ill myself with suspected measles (!) so my dad has been feeding him up for me. He is still pretty skinny. I have tried feeding him separately but he won't eat alone he hates being away from the others and gets very distressed.

When he went to the vets he was too thin for a GA for blood tests and he still is. I guess my question really is what can I do from here? Are there other tests that can be done such as urine testing? He is much brighter than he was two weeks ago when I took him to the vets.

And if it is kidney failure am I ultimately looking at a PTS? :cry:

Apart from the weightloss what made the Vet think it may be kidney failure ?

Is he drinking a lot and weeing very dilute urine ?

What is his eating like now ?

when I took him in two weeks ago he was very dehydrated and hunched, and like I say, not eating but sucking food into his mouth. I think it was the dehydration and weight loss that made her think it was his kidneys.

He is eating well now and loves food, he isn't drinking any more than usual and in terms of urine it's hard to say as he's in a group

did your vet doing any blood tests to see what they show too?

he was too underweight for a GA and blood test :wave: and still is. As I say this has been a pretty rapid deterioration/weight loss.

My mind automatically goes to EC because that is what they had in the past and Misha was very affected by it :/ one of the reasons I moved was to get away from the old house because I felt it was 'contaminated'

when I took him in two weeks ago he was very dehydrated and hunched, and like I say, not eating but sucking food into his mouth. I think it was the dehydration and weight loss that made her think it was his kidneys.

He is eating well now and loves food, he isn't drinking any more than usual and in terms of urine it's hard to say as he's in a group

So no more dehydration since the initial episode ?

Was he discharged on any medication ?

he also never stopped passing stools and hasn't shown any diarrhea :?

he is only young, about a year and a half old.

Is he gaining weight again now ?

What about the others, is their weight stable ?

he seems to have gained a little bit but not a massive amount he is still far more underweight than I would like.

The others are all a healthy weight and haven't lost or gained.

I think obviously the best course of action is going to be taking him back to the vets to see what they think and to see if we can have some tests done. They are open weekends so I might see if I can get him an appointment on Monday.

could you feed him away from others to monitor what he is eating etc? how much does he weigh, how old is he? and breed?

thank you for the vibes xx

I tried feeding him away from the others, which is what I've done in the past with other rabbits, but he hates it he gets really upset and won't eat. So I sit with him to make sure he's getting plenty to eat - he's the smallest in the group so I was concerned he might be getting bullied away from the food but that isn't the case.

I haven't weighed him I just go by feel, he is about 1 and a half and he is a lionhead x nethie, he is definitely nethie size and a small nethie at that he's teeny.

Back