• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

brushing bunnys fur

I just bought this one

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-animal-massage-slicker-by-boredom-breaker-31151

It gets off only the loosest fur, it's very very gentle, they quite enjoy it though because it's so gentle, so whilst it may not be the most effective at getting all the loose fur out in one go, you can sit there for quite a while with them :lol: I don't think it would work for a long haired bun who needs regular brushing, just short haired buns in moulting seasons who appreciate a little extra help getting rid of their extra fluff :D

Mine are all short haired so don't need brushing, although in the past I had a short haired male who's back legs got very knotty and I'd just use a soft bristled brush to tease out the knots

If they're moulting badly I do use a furminator on them though along with plucking out loose fur with my fingers

But yeah if they're short haired and don't tend to get knotty they don't need brushing unless they're going through moult and even then a lot of the products sold in pet shops aren't very good

it was mainly the moulting that I wanted to help with as they are short hair x

The cheapest and probably the most effective way is just put them on a high surface outside somewhere where they aren't going to run off, and use your fingers to go all around the rabbits body pulling out fur. Obviously don't grip too tightly, do it gently but enough to get hold of the loose hairs. It will take quite a while to get all the loose fur out if they're in heavy moult and it will probably need repeating a few days after but it's definitely worth it

Oh and don't do it on a windy day unless you want a face full of fur :shock: I love seeing at the end how much dead fur I've actually gotten off, you can sometimes end up with a pile the same size as the rabbit :shock:

I quite like furminators too. Well I like my cheap knock off version, the real thing is probably even better

Have seen a thread on here where someone had a disaster with a furminator, her rabbits skin was badly torn. Also seen people advising stroking the rabbit with a damp hand to remove loose fur.

Back