• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch on the back of my rabbits neck

BunsterBun

Young Bun
HI eveyone,

I am new to this forum and rabbits and have posted an introduction on the intro thread.

I was just wondering about my gorgeous new lop eared rabbit I have had since he was 9 weeks old and he is now 4 months old. He has a bald patch on his neck that he has had since I got him from the breeder but is does not look sore, red, he doesn't seem to be constantly scratching it as far as I can tell as I spend a lot of time with him or no signs of mites that I can see or dandruff. It is not growing , not got any worse so was wondering if anybody has any ideas. Is he just poorly furred there, is it to cool him? I just don't know, he looks healthy, eats, drinks fine, he loves to be chased about the room and chase me and he does lots of binkies etc and drinks well, foes toilet well etc and he litter trained straight away, did not need to do anything to encourage, very clever rabbit. Anyway so I do not go off topic I am just wondering if I should worry or if it is a defect or something please.?

It actually looks like something he was born with maybe as it is not patchy or a bald spot like an infection, hope I have given enough info.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure she didn't, I have sent her a msg to double check but as far as I know , no. He has good fur everywhere else and it has a nice shine to it.

The do have a thinner/softer patch of fur on the back of the neck just above where the shoulder blades meet - is that where you mean?

Any chance of a photo? :)

Yes, that is exactly where I mean, I wasn't sure whether it was there to keep them cool and normal or not, I think it will be that you are referring to. I just wanted to check to be sure. How do I post a photo on here as my photos are HD and don't want to slow loading pages down, I can gladly post you 1 then. :D

Have you checked in his ears for signs of mites ?

He may be scratching at his ears a lot and catching the back of his head/neck with a sharp toe nail as he does so.

Hi, I will go and check them in a moment, I have checked them a few times as he does scratch his ears and clean them a lot, well I think it is a lot, not sure how often they clean and groom but I did not see any a few days ago. I will check again, I posted a photo for people to take a look at too.

I spend a lot of tiem with him and check his fur too and brush him, I do try and brush him every day or other day, is this too much? but I do not tend to brush there with being bald.

It does look a little thin there, but as you said, the skin looks perfectly healthy :) It could be just him or if he lost fur there in the past it may just not have grown back yet. Bunnies fur doesn't grow all the time like human hair so they only get it back when they moult.

Are you in the UK? If so,and you haven't already he'll need vaccinations as myxomatosis risk goes up with the warm weather. The vet will do a full health check as part of that so it's a good opportunity to get little things checked out :)

Thanks for all your help, I am in the UK and have not yet got him vaccinated but plan on oding so very soon. Hardest thing is trying to pick him up, not yet mnaged it, my dad did twice when he was here but he is not 1 for being held. He lest me do anything else round him, run after him playing chase, clean cage around him, stroke him, lies near me, brsuh him etc but not handle. What is the best way to do this? I will definately get him to vets som though fof full check up and get his vaccinations for sure.

Thanks for all the help, it probably is just him ye, as no change since getting him etc and he is 1 happy binking bunny lol. I do live in the Uk and will get him vaccinated very soon, have not done so yet. Hardest thing is handling him, he lets me do ewt round himm ,cleanm cage and room he is in, storke him, bursh him, play binky boo lol, where we chase each other and jump etc and he plays peek a boo, allsorts lol, but he will not let me pick him up, he doesn't bite he just really kicks etc. That is gonna be the heardest part to get him to the vets and yes it will be good having a full health check. Sorry if I double posted this btw, it wasn;t showing that I had posted it earlier so reposting to be sure.

This is very helpful , thanks, I am going to try this later when I spend more time with him when he is awake. Spent all morning with him but did not check the post until later.

Back