PDA

View Full Version : Fell in love with a bun at the P@H adoption u/d neutering#2 booked

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Looked so sad. :( A little black bun. Said he'd been 'abandoned' (:roll:) There was also a little ginger bun that looks like old stock - there were babies that look very similar in the baby enclosure.

OH said we can go rescue the black lop if I wanted him but then I've got to consider whether my two would get along with him. :oops:

happysaz133
25-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I fell in love with one in P@H too, brought him home and my existing ones hated him, still do! So I had to go out and get another one for him :roll: :lol: Just an excuse to have more bunnies really!

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 01:53 PM
:lol: thats what im afraid of! Both of mine are neutered and a happily bonded pair so hm....

Rexripley
25-05-2013, 01:56 PM
I did the same, happily bonded pair then took Alfie home, love him to bits though, he's on his own just now til he's older to be neutered

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 01:58 PM
I did the same, happily bonded pair then took Alfie home, love him to bits though, he's on his own just now til he's older to be neutered

I think im going to pop in later and find out more about the bun. They are running bunny workshops every saturday so who knows he mighy be adopted by the time i go back!

Gemmapookie
25-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Be prepared to have him as a single bun or with a different bun if the bond doesn't work out.

I adopted my Max because I fell in love with him (god knows why he was a little git!) but my already bonded pair Timmy and Mimi were having none of it!

So now Max is with Charlotte and I have 2 pairs of buns to keep happy :roll::lol:

mollyjoker
25-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Looked so sad. :( A little black lop. Said he'd been 'abandoned' (:roll:) There was also a little ginger bun that looks like old stock - there were babies that look very similar in the baby enclosure.

OH said we can go rescue the black lop if I wanted him but then I've got to consider whether my two would get along with him. :oops:

Maybe it was meant to be :love:

happybunny
25-05-2013, 02:08 PM
We fell in love with 2 buns at the adoption section of the one near us. I could not choose so I waited a week before going back hoping one had been adopted. When we got there one of them was just about to leave with her new owners so I asked about the other one. While I was talking to the assistant my hubby realised he knew one of the people adopting the other one (the sister of someone he works with).

We took Lily home happy that the decision was made for is. That was Saturday on the Monday my hubby got a phone call at work asking if we would take the other one as it kept biting the new owner. So Tess came to live with us too.

Tess has fitted in really well and was happily bonded into a trio (now pair as we have lost Benjamin).

Lily on the other hand is in her 2nd pairing after the 1st one broke down. She is a very skitty bunny and we are worried about the current pairing. I have no idea if this is anything to do with what happened to her before we got her.

P@H never seem to have much information on the adoption area buns.

Good luck

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 02:18 PM
We fell in love with 2 buns at the adoption section of the one near us. I could not choose so I waited a week before going back hoping one had been adopted. When we got there one of them was just about to leave with her new owners so I asked about the other one. While I was talking to the assistant my hubby realised he knew one of the people adopting the other one (the sister of someone he works with).

We took Lily home happy that the decision was made for is. That was Saturday on the Monday my hubby got a phone call at work asking if we would take the other one as it kept biting the new owner. So Tess came to live with us too.

Tess has fitted in really well and was happily bonded into a trio (now pair as we have lost Benjamin).

Lily on the other hand is in her 2nd pairing after the 1st one broke down. She is a very skitty bunny and we are worried about the current pairing. I have no idea if this is anything to do with what happened to her before we got her.

P@H never seem to have much information on the adoption area buns.

Good luck

Funny how it works out :lol: i think youre right though not much info available :( we will go back and see what our gut feeling is

chloeturner
25-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Good luck if you decide to have the bunny :wave: and plenty of piccys!!

Lea-Anne
25-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Go get him :thumb:.

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 06:32 PM
:oops::oops: he was too cute to leave behind. he is 8 months old. he has some fur regrowing as he was part of a pair but the other bun turned on him. so will keep an eye on that. he's really friendly and inquisitive :thumb:

i think he's a netherland dwarf? has little ears :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/984134_10151437345338321_418956122_n.jpg

Lea-Anne
25-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Oh my gosh he is gorgeous!!! :love:

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 06:39 PM
we're hoping to get him neutered ASAP :love: looking forward to seeing how his character develops. the lady doing the adoption said he loves cuddles and is a really chilled bun. it was nice to speak to smoeone who knew about rabbits too :thumb:

he needs a name!

silverrabbit
25-05-2013, 06:41 PM
:love:

chloeturner
25-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I've always said if I had a boy bunny it'd be Charlie or Oscar :love:

Why don't you wait a couple of days and see how his personality develops? Might be a little easier to name based on that :) xx

Tinsel
25-05-2013, 06:48 PM
He looks like my Mole! :love:

Georgeypudding
25-05-2013, 06:52 PM
aww he's a wee nethie! :love: I'd call him Alfred :)

happybunny
25-05-2013, 06:53 PM
He is a sweetheart. I am sure the perfect name will come to you as he settles in.

:D:D:D:D:D

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm letting him settle for now,, he likes the little blue igloo :D I originally bought it for Nibbles and Buttons but they're too big for it now :lol: he seems to be settling in OK though.

CookieCrisp
25-05-2013, 07:32 PM
He's absolutely stunning. :love:

He looks like a Geoffrey :D

Den
25-05-2013, 07:34 PM
He is gorgeous. I bet he's thrilled to have a loving home:D

Captain Helen
25-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Awwwwww, what a little cutie! :love:

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 07:41 PM
I think he is :D He belly flopped in the carrier on our way home :lol:

CookieCrisp
25-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I think he is :D He belly flopped in the carrier on our way home :lol:

He's incredibly happy then, mine refuse to get in the carrier let alone love it that much they flop in it.

sally1974
25-05-2013, 08:07 PM
He is gorgeous :love:

Fluffs mum
25-05-2013, 08:09 PM
That's how I became a bunny mummy. Went for hamster food came back with a rabbit from adoption section ..... Then came on here and learnt soooo much. Your little man is :love:

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 09:09 PM
why is picking an ame so hard :lol::lol:

we like loads!

he's currently licking the fridge :shock:

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 09:41 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/575773_10151437566563321_1123227496_n.jpg

such a sweet tempered little guy :love:

mini lop1
25-05-2013, 09:50 PM
aww he is lovely :love:

esupi
25-05-2013, 09:51 PM
aw he is so cute! :love:

Rabcat
25-05-2013, 10:04 PM
He's adorable - no wonder you couldn't resist him :love:

Lovely story with a very happy ending for him xx

Azucena
25-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Aww! He's so cute. :love:
I fell in love with a PAH adoption bunny too.. But couldn't get him.. I sometimes wonder how he's doing and what his home is like.

Fee
25-05-2013, 10:10 PM
He is a wee cutie indeed...!!! Its fate you taking him, ....:love:

KMazzy
25-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Oh my goodness he is so gorgeous!!

I am so frustrated, I'm waiting for the RSPCA homechecker to ring me before I can go and pick up my new little bunny. Maybe I should just go see what P@H have got in the adoption section instead!

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 10:18 PM

I am so frustrated, I'm waiting for the RSPCA homechecker to ring me before I can go and pick up my new little bunny. Maybe I should just go see what P@H have got in the adoption section instead!

I have to say I am surprised at how easy it was. I have been through RSPCA homechecks with the family dog when I lived at home, it takes ages.

I literally walked into P@H, saw bun, called up to ask more info and then went to see him. We just signed a form and paid a fee and went on our way. The lady we dealt with was quite knowledgeable with buns and we had a good natter about their little quirks :)

Alison Marie
25-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Names on the list...
Albie, Jasper, Charlie, Waffle(s)

Cute names that don't quite fit
Oreo, Domino

BettyLu
25-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Oh gosh. So. Cute. He's like a little soot ball.

I<3Rabbits
26-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Jasper!!!:D

Jojo123
26-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Too cute for words! :love: I would call him Jet

Peterbunny
26-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Names on the list...
Albie, Jasper, Charlie, Waffle(s)

Cute names that don't quite fit
Oreo, Domino

How about a foodie name seeing as your other 2 have names that sound foodie?

Treacle? Pepper?

If not I love Jasper
:)

mollyjoker
26-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Crumpet /Lucky/Smudge.:wave:

Alison Marie
26-05-2013, 10:11 AM
I was thinking of something to go with Nibbles and Buttons but they don't seem to suit him :lol: I think Jasper is probably the front runner :thumb:

CookieCrisp
26-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Crumpet, nasher, pudding.

What about any herb names? Parsley, oregano, dill?

Alison Marie
26-05-2013, 02:03 PM
we seem to have gone for Jasper at the moment :D

he is booked in for neutering on wednesday, eek!!!

Fee
26-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Good luck for Jasper and the plum fairy......!,!

Rabcat
26-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Jasper seems to suit him :love:

Good luck for Wednesday :wave:

Jolysium
26-05-2013, 04:43 PM
He's gorgeous :love:

Jasper suits him!

Babsie
26-05-2013, 05:13 PM
we seem to have gone for Jasper at the moment :D

he is booked in for neutering on wednesday, eek!!!

He is gorgeous. I had a black bunny I called Jasper - just seemed to 'fit'.

CookieCrisp
26-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Good luck Jasper!

emz281
26-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I think it's great that P@H are doing an adoption scheme! Maybe it is a little to easy to adopt from them?? but still a great idea :)
Jasper is gorgeous, melts you heart looking at him. :love:

Alison Marie
27-05-2013, 08:56 AM
He is a sweetie, the lady wasnt kidding when she said he loves being cuddled! They give you a free neutering voucher whih os great if youre near a companion care vet, nearest one for us is 18miles away so it could be problematic if you dont drive

buttons could smell jasper yesterday and nipped nibbles, thats concerned me a bit! They seem fine now ive moved jasper a bit further awau. (Hes indoors theyre outside)

Bailey's
27-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Lucky Jasper to have found you!!! :thumb: gorgeous little boy! :love:

That's exactly how we came to acquire Jenson and Cooper. They are black too.

Did you get a voucher for the cost of neutering?

Alison Marie
27-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Lucky Jasper to have found you!!! :thumb: gorgeous little boy! :love:

That's exactly how we came to acquire Jenson and Cooper. They are black too.

Did you get a voucher for the cost of neutering?

I think i remember jenson and cooper :love:

We did ! Think OH was relieved about that as he thought it cost too much to neuter bunnies! (Itcost 100 per bunny for our two) :) bit nervous about it, hes so tiny and sweet!

Angie65
27-05-2013, 09:50 AM
He's a beauty :)
I realise the igloo is only temp accom, but just watch the heat in the plastic while the sun is out :)

Bailey's
27-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I think i remember jenson and cooper :love:

We did ! Think OH was relieved about that as he thought it cost too much to neuter bunnies! (Itcost 100 per bunny for our two) :) bit nervous about it, hes so tiny and sweet!

Well that's good. It's a huge saving isn't it? I just wish they would neuter before rehoming, I know people like us see it as the right thing to do but other people might not bother. I know some people disagree with rehoming from p@h but to us it was only right thing to do. J&C are now living the life of Riley, happy cheeky boys :love: I know your little one will be as well given time :thumb:

Alison Marie
27-05-2013, 11:36 AM
He's a beauty :)
I realise the igloo is only temp accom, but just watch the heat in the plastic while the sun is out :)

Ah yes, we wouldn't put it in the sun! His accommodation is in a shady part of the kitchen :)

Alison Marie
27-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Well that's good. It's a huge saving isn't it? I just wish they would neuter before rehoming, I know people like us see it as the right thing to do but other people might not bother. I know some people disagree with rehoming from p@h but to us it was only right thing to do. J&C are now living the life of Riley, happy cheeky boys :love: I know your little one will be as well given time :thumb:

yes it'd make sense for them to neuter beforehand but i guess they like to give people the option :s i liked that the lady, when we called up to ask about adopting jasper, said she would recommend having the bunny neutered before pairing with a friend etc, so she did at least give some sound advice :thumb: i know a lot of peopl get the impression from p@h that they don't know what they're doing but i felt this lady did have a good knowledge about rabbits :)

Alison Marie
27-05-2013, 11:40 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/253301_10151438563333321_1683154036_n.jpg

He's a big fan of hay. He also likes to make sure it's everywhere :lol:

Bailey's
27-05-2013, 12:50 PM
yes it'd make sense for them to neuter beforehand but i guess they like to give people the option :s i liked that the lady, when we called up to ask about adopting jasper, said she would recommend having the bunny neutered before pairing with a friend etc, so she did at least give some sound advice :thumb: i know a lot of peopl get the impression from p@h that they don't know what they're doing but i felt this lady did have a good knowledge about rabbits :)

The store where J&C came from is one if the better ones too. There is a couple of girls that really know there stuff about rabbits which is a refreshing change. I was in there yesterday ( mum's piggie had an accident and I had to take them to get her lip glued), we got chatting to the girl on the till and a lot of what she saying really made sense, she also told us they had a special offer on neutering for rabbits this month.

Alison Marie
28-05-2013, 12:41 PM
OH saw Jasper do a binky this morning :D I was doing my essay so I missed it :(

He is being neutered tomorrow morning, we are taking him at 9am... so vibes would be good. I'm nervous!

elmoandfern
28-05-2013, 12:50 PM
sending lots of vibes for the adorable jasper, sure all will be fine! :wave:

midori1999
28-05-2013, 12:57 PM
I see you got him! Good luck with the neutering!

I have to admit, I hate PAH, having seen one of the breeding facilities they buy from as someone at the livery yard I used ot keep my horses on rented a barn and field to keep/breed the animals in, he clearly did the best he could for any large scale breeding facility, but it was very obvious numbers and profit were precedent. :(

Having spoken to them recently about a neutered doe they have in the adoption section though and I am going to go ahead and adopt her, I am more impressed. She has been there for 10 months and they have been very honest about her issues etc, so although it's awful she's been there for so long, it seems like they are fussy where she goes. Even when I spoke to them at the weekend about her they kept saying to think about it. The information they had about her did seem limited, but on further pushing to get to speak to someone with proper information it seems they do actually have quite a lot of info, just not every staff member knows it...

It's good to see they are giving out vouchers for free neutering too, I would never have thought they'd do this, although is this a limited offer? I agee it would be best to get them neutered before rehoming though and their rehoming policies could be more strict.

Alison Marie
28-05-2013, 05:14 PM
So Jaspie is being neutered tomorrow... how long should i wait before introducing the bunnies for the first time? (My pair is already neutered and spayed?

elmoandfern
28-05-2013, 06:17 PM
So Jaspie is being neutered tomorrow... how long should i wait before introducing the bunnies for the first time? (My pair is already neutered and spayed?

I would wait a minimum of 6-8 weeks for hormones to die down

Alison Marie
28-05-2013, 06:23 PM
I would wait a minimum of 6-8 weeks for hormones to die down

Alvins mummy
28-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Lots of vibes for Jaspers neuter tomorrow. Xx

Alison Marie
28-05-2013, 06:43 PM
He is a little monster :lol: loves hiding in the corner under the coffee table, zooming around the living room, he is also a big foodie :lol: and he loves cuddles :love: but he's getting so much braver now!

Hope tomorrow doesn't make him upset with us... :(

Alison Marie
29-05-2013, 07:53 AM
We're leaving shortly. I feel really sick with nerves!

Alison Marie
29-05-2013, 09:13 AM
They wont neuter tday as he only has one descended testicle. Have to check with head offoce if theyll cover cost of a biggee op to descend the other

gemmagore
29-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Just been reading through this and Jasper looks like my black bun I picked up from a rescue on Sunday! I think mine is a Netherland dwarf/cross and he looks spitting image! Really strange as I was looking at calling mine Jasper! Quite a few people say he looks like a Borris though lol

I hope the op will go ok if he has to have the other descending :)

He is very cute xx

xClairex
29-05-2013, 09:47 AM
They wont neuter tday as he only has one descended testicle. Have to check with head offoce if theyll cover cost of a biggee op to descend the other

Aawwww bless him.
My boy had the same when he went to be neutered, I got a phone call saying they'd had to bring him round from the anaesthetic because they could only find one testicle.
Next time he went in they had to do an op in the same kinda way they do a girl (cut through the belly) to find the other one.
But......he recovered very quickly and he's still here 8 years later!

Mandy
29-05-2013, 10:44 AM
He's beautiful. Shame they couldn't do the neutering. Hope his next op goes well.

foxy2279
29-05-2013, 10:47 AM
If your having the neuter done with the adoption voucher they should pay the extra. They did for my Bramble when he decided to retain one, it was a extra 50 for his.

The store i got him from paid for it.

Alison Marie
29-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Aawwww bless him.
My boy had the same when he went to be neutered, I got a phone call saying they'd had to bring him round from the anaesthetic because they could only find one testicle.
Next time he went in they had to do an op in the same kinda way they do a girl (cut through the belly) to find the other one.
But......he recovered very quickly and he's still here 8 years later!

Thats good to know :D have to say i was a bit nervous when he mentioned a bigger op!

Alison Marie
29-05-2013, 11:06 AM
If your having the neuter done with the adoption voucher they should pay the extra. They did for my Bramble when he decided to retain one, it was a extra 50 for his.

The store i got him from paid for it.

Thanks :) we're calling someone shortly about it ! Its a pain as their vet is 45 mins away :( bit of a wasted trip!

Alison Marie
29-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Haven't called yet, but how likely is it that his testicle will descend by itself if he's already 8 months? Is it worth waiting an extra 2 months to see if it drops, or just go ahead with an op?

parsnipbun
29-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Haven't called yet, but how likely is it that his testicle will descend by itself if he's already 8 months? Is it worth waiting an extra 2 months to see if it drops, or just go ahead with an op?

I am afraid I havnt read all the posts but just to mention that its not an easy op to root about inside for the other one - and you may want to ensure you have a very specialist rabbit vet who does specialist surgery do this one. There is also a risk of leaving a small part in there which can them cause hormone issues.

He looks so very tiny that I might also be tempted to consult with a specialist vet about whether his other might descend. How sure are they of his birth date? If he was given up for adoption by pvs owner then many of them will lie as they are ashamed of how quickly they got bored of the pet.

Alison Marie
29-05-2013, 01:59 PM
I am afraid I havnt read all the posts but just to mention that its not an easy op and you may want to ensure you have a very specialist rabbit vet who does specialist surgery do this one.

thank you :wave: we are going to have him vaccinated this weekend with our own vet and will ask for their opinion :)

parsnipbun
29-05-2013, 02:01 PM
thank you :wave: we are going to have him vaccinated this weekend with our own vet and will ask for their opinion :)

sorry - added some stuff to my other post whilst you were posting!

PS if he had any GA this morning then really he should have 2 weeks before he has vaccination - otherwise the immune response may be lower and the vaccine not work so well. ditto bewteen vaccine and next GA

Alison Marie
29-05-2013, 02:04 PM
I am afraid I havnt read all the posts but just to mention that its not an easy op to root about inside for the other one - and you may want to ensure you have a very specialist rabbit vet who does specialist surgery do this one. There is also a risk of leaving a small part in there which can them cause hormone issues.

He looks so very tiny that I might also be tempted to consult with a specialist vet about whether his other might descend. How sure are they of his birth date? If he was given up for adoption by pvs owner then many of them will lie as they are ashamed of how quickly they got bored of the pet.

The vet we saw today did ask how old he was, we said we were told 8 months. Apparently he had come from a lady who gave up numerous rabbits for adoption. He IS very small though, I agree.

Will ask my vet for their opinion when we go and see - how easy is it to predict a bunny's age? I know Nibbles had descended testicles at around 15 weeks old so 8 months seems late.

e: the vet had a look at the testicles before taking him, so no anaesthetic etc:thumb:

Alison Marie
29-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Jaspie has found "his spot" - a corner near the tv behind the computer tower :lol: had to unplug it and remove all wires just in case :shock: he loves it there! he does seem to prefer small, dark spaces.

Alison Marie
30-05-2013, 09:20 PM
:love: Jasper had been too scared to jump off the sofa, tonight he found the courage to do it by sliding down my leg, when he got on the floor he must've been so happy with himself cos he did a big binky :love::lol:

he is booked into the vet for his vaccination in two weeks time.

littleboots
30-05-2013, 09:37 PM
I would opt for the op.... Not sure if its the same in bunnies (but i imagine it is)
I had a preivious dog with an undescended testicle ... I took him in at 6 months , the testicle was in the inguinal canal....it had already gone "squishy" Vet removed dit immediateley.
Testicles forming inside the body are at the wrong temperature so can quickly turn cancerous.... Id have it removed.... but would discuss with vet first..... as I said... my only experience is with a dog

Alison Marie
31-05-2013, 06:04 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/935222_10151446609368321_657798404_n.jpg

Jasper's 'new bed' :shock::shock::lol: (its a giant fluffy monster slipper!)

Hugo's There
31-05-2013, 07:10 PM
The vet we saw today did ask how old he was, we said we were told 8 months. Apparently he had come from a lady who gave up numerous rabbits for adoption. He IS very small though, I agree.

Will ask my vet for their opinion when we go and see - how easy is it to predict a bunny's age? I know Nibbles had descended testicles at around 15 weeks old so 8 months seems late.

e: the vet had a look at the testicles before taking him, so no anaesthetic etc:thumb:

I have had several rabbit that have not had their testicles descend until they are 8/9 months. Especially if they are small or under developed. Also diet seems to affect them so if they haven't had a great diet up until now this might not have helped the situation, so a few weeks on good food might make all the difference.

Obviously take your vets advice but if it were me I would wait a month while he settles in to see if anything develops.

We have a little bunny who is 19 months old and still hasn't got his testicles. He has too many issues to operate so we are constantly worrying about cancer developing :(

Alison Marie
31-05-2013, 07:35 PM
I have had several rabbit that have not had their testicles descend until they are 8/9 months. Especially if they are small or under developed. Also diet seems to affect them so if they haven't had a great diet up until now this might not have helped the situation, so a few weeks on good food might make all the difference.

Obviously take your vets advice but if it were me I would wait a month while he settles in to see if anything develops.

We have a little bunny who is 19 months old and still hasn't got his testicles. He has too many issues to operate so we are constantly worrying about cancer developing :(

Thank you :wave: My OH would like to give it a couple of months just in case he is younger than his other owner said, he is very small though. I expect we will get him weighed when he gets his vaccs done too. He is a hungry little fella! He's on Burgess pellets at the moment...

Sorry to hear about your bun, that sounds like a nightmare :( Would prefer it if it came out by itself for Jasper of course!

Snowy
31-05-2013, 07:59 PM
I would opt for the op.... Not sure if its the same in bunnies (but i imagine it is)
I had a preivious dog with an undescended testicle ... I took him in at 6 months , the testicle was in the inguinal canal....it had already gone "squishy" Vet removed dit immediateley.
Testicles forming inside the body are at the wrong temperature so can quickly turn cancerous.... Id have it removed.... but would discuss with vet first..... as I said... my only experience is with a dog

Totally agree, it can turn cancerous if left inside, I am sure if you have a rabbit savvy vet they would advise removal

littleboots
31-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Totally agree, it can turn cancerous if left inside, I am sure if you have a rabbit savvy vet they would advise removal

Absolutley..... If none had dropped .. yes i would wait..... but if one is evident it could be very dangerous not to have the missing one investigated... better safe than sorry

Alison Marie
31-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Absolutley..... If none had dropped .. yes i would wait..... but if one is evident it could be very dangerous not to have the missing one investigated... better safe than sorry

:thumb: I agree. One has dropped, the other hasn't... We will see what vet says :)

Alison Marie
31-05-2013, 08:40 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/944377_10151446801223321_1310638604_n.jpg

Here's me and Jaspie... (can you tell I just love taking photos of him :oops:)

RSPCA Macclesfield
31-05-2013, 09:46 PM

I have to say I am surprised at how easy it was. I have been through RSPCA homechecks with the family dog when I lived at home, it takes ages.

I literally walked into P@H, saw bun, called up to ask more info and then went to see him. We just signed a form and paid a fee and went on our way. The lady we dealt with was quite knowledgeable with buns and we had a good natter about their little quirks :)

Just wanted to point out that said homechecker will be a hardworking volunteer who more than likely fits the visits in between full time work, families etc :thumb: Please wait for the home visitor to call rather than go to p@h. And 'Adopting' from Pets at home is nothing like adopting from The Rspca - Its pot luck that you are a great owner, but you could have been anyone - Cannot believe they rehome without a homevisit & unneutered. Makes my blood boil. Anyway, Jasper is gorgeous :love:

midori1999
31-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I have to say, ive recently 'adopted' from the PAH adoption section and whilst it's very clearly not a 'real' rescue, we tried to adopt from our local SSPCA and they also homed unneutered bunnies with no home check. I asked how I would provide proof of neutering, a vet bill perhaps and was told they didn't need any. They 'may' do a follow up visit within the next 12 months, but it was very unlikely. :?
I showed them photos of our set up and they were happy to home a bunny to us. However, I mentioned in passing as I filled out the forms that my husband was in the army and they then refused to home to us as they apparently have a blanket ban on homing to forces families.

So we went to a local rabbit rescue and got a companion for our neutered boy and I'm so glad the SSPCA turned us down, the difference in the knowledge of staff and policies was astounding.

Alison Marie
31-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Just wanted to point out that said homechecker will be a hardworking volunteer who more than likely fits the visits in between full time work, families etc :thumb: Please wait for the home visitor to call rather than go to p@h. And 'Adopting' from Pets at home is nothing like adopting from The Rspca - Its pot luck that you are a great owner, but you could have been anyone - Cannot believe they rehome without a homevisit & unneutered. Makes my blood boil. Anyway, Jasper is gorgeous :love:

Yes, I was surprised that they didn't ask for more info :shock: just name, address... then you pay your fee and you're on your way. With L we had to go and visit him, spoke to the kennel owner, paid a holding fee, went home, waited for the home checker then waited for a pick up date, then went to fetch him :lol: took a few weeks in all :shock: never had a follow up check for him though!

Rabcat
31-05-2013, 10:53 PM
He is a really lovely little fella - gorgeous little face xx :love:

Alison Marie
05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Jasper's doing well. He's settling in :D lots of binkies and I saw a belly flop yesterday! He is at the vets next Friday for his vaccination and also to check if the other testicle has dropped or not. Will see what they say...

We are thinking of having the op / neutering done with our vet. Yes, it's free with P@H and that would be much easier on the bank balance since neutering costs over 100 with our vet, but at the same time the P@H vet is nearly an hours drive and we don't really want to make the experience more traumatic than it has to be! That and I trust my vet! :thumb:

Hugo's There
05-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Jasper's doing well. He's settling in :D lots of binkies and I saw a belly flop yesterday! He is at the vets next Friday for his vaccination and also to check if the other testicle has dropped or not. Will see what they say...

We are thinking of having the op / neutering done with our vet. Yes, it's free with P@H and that would be much easier on the bank balance since neutering costs over 100 with our vet, but at the same time the P@H vet is nearly an hours drive and we don't really want to make the experience more traumatic than it has to be! That and I trust my vet! :thumb:

So pleased he is happy and settling well into his new home. Good luck with the vaccinations, I really hope the other testicle will have dropped by then. He wont be able to have the op until at least 2 weeks after the vaccination, which is the time scale i would have left it to see if the other testicle dropped naturally anyway :D

Alison Marie
10-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Jasper's off for his vaccination on Friday. And to check whether the other testicle has descended :shock: I really hope it has.

He keeps going to the back door to grab a sneak peek of the other buns :shock: hope that's a good sign... he has learned that me = food :lol:

Alison Marie
11-06-2013, 09:25 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/996839_10151463699733321_1887740348_n.jpg

He's learned how to jump on the sofa!!! Nothign is safe on here now :lol:

Tuckerbunnies
12-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I sent Mike for a new printer as mine broke and he came back with Letty from the pets @ Home adoption part, he didn't think she would find a home with her having a splay leg and he asked if he could take her. Our local branch know us quite well and so they let us have Letty and gave us a neutering voucher which we used yesterday when she was spayed. I'm so glad Mike brought her home as she is absolutely beautiful :D

Alison Marie
12-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I sent Mike for a new printer as mine broke and he came back with Letty from the pets @ Home adoption part, he didn't think she would find a home with her having a splay leg and he asked if he could take her. Our local branch know us quite well and so they let us have Letty and gave us a neutering voucher which we used yesterday when she was spayed. I'm so glad Mike brought her home as she is absolutely beautiful :D

Aww :D Sometimes they kind of find you don't they! Whoops :oops:

Alison Marie
14-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Well, Jasper went for his vaccination today - he was a good boy. He weighs 1.4kg :)

But there is no sign of the left testicle. Luckily my vet won't charge us extra to take the testicle out so it will be 90 altogether with the neutering :wave: going to give it until the end of july when we are off work and have time to watch him, and of couse allow extra time just in case it comes down by itself. i've taken to calling it the pesky teste :lol:

Apart from that, everything else is all good. He's currently hiding behind hte sofa :lol:

Alison Marie
12-07-2013, 05:24 PM
An update on Jasper.

He has been here nearly 7 weeks already!!! :shock: He has well and truly made himself at home :lol: I went to work today and realised I had holes in my shoes - he'd been nibbling them :shock:

Anyway, Jasper is booked in for his neuternig on 1st August. They will retrieve the testicle, too, if it hasn't descended by then (there's still no sign of it at the moment). Bit nervous, but it's needed :D

We have also decided not to bond him with my pair. We will look at getting him a wifebun at some point in the future :D

Hesperus
12-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Just read through this whole thread, he sounds like a lovely bun and it sounds like the right decision to me.

Good luck and do keep us posted when the big day comes. :thumb:

Fee
12-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Aww, a happy result for him despite the fact he has one plum.... Good luck with the neutering,,,, What a brave boy he'll be...

Fee.

Alison Marie
13-07-2013, 12:33 PM
thanks guys :D will keep you posted.

behaviour-wise jasper shows no aggression and doesn't spray, he's quite a chilled out little boy. so hopefully he'll be the same after the op! the only thing he does is chew and dig :lol:

Tinsel
13-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Glad he's doing so well... :thumb:

Alison Marie
27-07-2013, 04:26 PM
I am so nervous about Thursday that I almost don't want to take him :oops: Must not think negatively...

foxy2279
27-07-2013, 06:31 PM
My Bramble retained a testicle.

He will have two wounds one in his poor man parts and a small abdominal wound. Bramble took a bit longer to bounce back from his then my two boys. I would have some metacam on hand in case you feel he needs it.

Good luck Jasper :love:

littleboots
27-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Youre doing the right thing.... maybe a bigger op but better for him in the long run :D
Hope all goes well xx

Rosie42
27-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Just caught up with this whole thread :) what a beautiful boy! :love: he is so lucky to have found you :D Hope his op goes okay :)

bunnylover1995
28-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Jasper is gorgeous...

After reading this I'm almost considering getting a P@H adoption bun, but I'd rather he was already neutered, I'm already biting my nails over my two girls getting done and that's two months away :oops::oops::oops: so I don't think I could cope with the stress of a third :lol::lol::lol:

Alison Marie
28-07-2013, 03:45 PM
My Bramble retained a testicle.

He will have two wounds one in his poor man parts and a small abdominal wound. Bramble took a bit longer to bounce back from his then my two boys. I would have some metacam on hand in case you feel he needs it.

Good luck Jasper :love:

Thank you :love: I am just nervous about it bless him! I was a wreck when Nibbles went it, I was calmer when Buttons went, but knowing poor Jasp has to have an extra procedure just scares me :lol:

Youre doing the right thing.... maybe a bigger op but better for him in the long run :D
Hope all goes well xx

Hope so :D I will have lots of treats for him when he gets back.

Alison Marie
28-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Jasper is gorgeous...

After reading this I'm almost considering getting a P@H adoption bun, but I'd rather he was already neutered, I'm already biting my nails over my two girls getting done and that's two months away :oops::oops::oops: so I don't think I could cope with the stress of a third :lol::lol::lol:

sometimes they have bunnies in that are already neutered :wave: so it is worth looking!

Alison Marie
31-07-2013, 11:43 AM
it's tomorrow :shock: OH is taking him as I'll be at work. :( gonna spend the whole day worrying.