• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Museli v Pellets

Muesli is regarded as "bad" because of the post above mine; however not all rabbits are picky eaters - mine eat the lot, for example, although it is only given as a treat and not as their main food. Their main food is hay and then pellets for tea.

It can cause tooth problems as it's not rough/hard enough to wear down back teeth and thus can cause spurs and apparently it can cause stomach problems too.

ditto the above warning about muesli, just to add it mite help mixing in their favourite forage, hay or fresh herbs/veg in with the pellets to trick them into eating them. also try different feeding methods like scatter feeding or using treat balls, you can make them yourself pretty easily using toilet roll tubes (there r sum great threads on this in the bonding section). good luck and wotever u try go slowly, NEVER suddenly change a bunnys diet even if the old one is terrible cos ull end up doin more harm than good :D
liv xxx

Have a read of the latest muesli food research done here:
http://www.rabbitawarenessweek.co.uk/diet/the-research

Muesli is like feeding a bun a cereal full of marshmallows and chocolates to a child, they'll pick out and gorge on the sweet bits and leave out the bits that are good for them.

Changing over to a pellet has to be done very slowly and carefully.

This research is extremely flawed and biased.

You get good muesli and bad muesli, many respected members on the forum and sanctuaries use rabbit royale. It should be noted that all choking episodes I have heard about have been with pellets!

The breeder I got Dougal from has about 7 rabbits or more who are all healthy and gorgeous and 1 is 8 and 1 lived almost 8 years and the others prob be near to that or a bit less that are still going and she has an 8 year old going, they look very healthy and you can tell they are and she feeds rabbit royale to all of hers. I did not know much about rabbit food and rabbits as it ihas been years since I owned 1 and I was just a kid but I have read rabbit royale is very good and obviously if she feeds hers it they are. I would not have changed over to pellets if I had known but he is happy on the excelbut luckily and has taken well to them and loves them and thrives from them. Rabbit royale is not yer rubbish mix you can get from pet shops, they have the rubbish versions and good versions and it all depends on the rabbit too. Some don't take to excel well and others thrive, I should imagine it is same with royale??? maybe I am wrong, it's just what I think really.

Ive fed all mine rabbit royal for quite a while and they all seem healthy and had no dental problems, and all but 1of them eat the lot.
However i got an email the other day from per supermarket saying that they will be soon not selling any museli style food any more and only pellets which isnt helpful when 1point black refuses to eat pellets!! However i just finished moving them over to excel because i heard royal was bad for them and now im just confused :lol:

You get good muesli and bad muesli, many respected members on the forum and sanctuaries use rabbit royale. It should be noted that all choking episodes I have heard about have been with pellets!

I agree with Halfpenny, that research was useless in my opinion. (And I work as a university researcher.)

Agreed.

Would have expected a lot better from the vet school as well. Some top class bunny folk working there.

Back