• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's wrong? Rabbit started nipping humans and wifey bun all of a sudden.

xClairex

Alpha Buck
Quick background.... Sydnee is about 9 years old and Angel is about 10 years old. I've had them both since 2005 and they have been a bonded pair since summer 2005.
They bonded instantly and have never had any problems (apart from Angel is very protective of Sydnee)

Anyway, on 13th may I went on holiday and came home on 20th.
While I was away my brother looked after the buns and he kept phoning me to say that Sydnee would run at him and nip him when he was feeding him.
Since I've been home he's been ok with me but this morning at breakfast time he did his usual mad running round the room because he knew food was coming but as I put the food down he bit me, hard enough to draw blood.
Then when he and Angel were eating he kept lunging at her and trying to bite her and she would run off away from the food.
So in the end I had to shut him outside the room and fed him separately because he just would not leave Angel alone.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is wrong?
Why is Syd being like this all of a sudden?
He is usually so friendly, loves being cuddled and stroked by anyone. Yep he gets excited at mealtimes and dashes about but he has NEVER bitten anyone in the 8 years we've had him :(

That is really strange, after all that time, I can only think of a few things it could be but no idea if they apply.

1. My first thought would have been hormones but that does seem unlikely given his age.
2. Sometimes when rabbits are unwell or in pain they can become aggressive and take this out by nipping, as they are pray animals they do not like to show that they are in pain.
3. Your bunny is unhappy with you for going away, although this does not explain why he is being aggressive towards his wifey bun.

Hopefully someone else can come up with some better ideas.

Both spayed/neutered and were done beginning of 2005.

They were also fully vet checked the week before I went away. Neither have ever had dental problems, GI statis or anything but get a 3 monthly check up (more so because I like to be on the safe side and my vet loves seeing the bunnies!)
Both were 100% ok 2 weeks ago.
Maybe another vet visit is in order though just to be sure.

It's only when they get fed in the morning that he does it though which seems really odd.
He's not like it when they get fed at night.

I read a post on another thread that was v similar issue where bunny was aggressive about food and I think someone suggested feeding little and often rather than setting a set time of it if that makes sense? Her bun was just getting aggressive when given food.

Back