• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Joining the nebuliserers... (another qu. #13)

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Nutmeg again :(

Just ordered one from Amazon and paid a bit more so it's here for tomorrow.

Any tips?

Last edited:
I was quite daunted when I first got mine but they really are incredibly easy to use.

I am lucky in that Furby is deaf so the noise didn't bother him. If I had had a hearing bun I would have just let him sit on my lap having cuddles for a while listening to the sound, as I found it quite noisy.

Initially, I held the mask near Furby. He didn't react at all so I held it on him and eventually put the elastic over his face to hold it on. He was totally laid back about the whole experience and seemed to almost go to sleep.

I watched a video on U-tube to get an idea of how to hold Furby but he used to wriggle around until he was comfy and his preferred position did change slightly from day to day. Once he was comfy he didn't move at all, yet when I tried to bathe his nose he struggled like anything.

My brave bun:love:

Good luck!

Aw!!! :love: So cute!

I didn't know whether to go with a box or mask, thinking I might start with the box first and see how she goes. Theres an adult and childs mask included so have options. :)

I just pop Pansy in a storage box with some food, she is happy enough to just sit and eat and doesn't really seem bothered by it :)

Just want to add some vibes for wee Nutmeg (((((((((happy nebulising vibes)))))))))) xxxx :)

She didn't like the box, at all, kept trying to get out. So I sat her on my lap downstairs with the mask and she settled with that. Probably got about ten mins worth into her from 3ml and ran out of stuff so going to put 5ml in tomorrow and hopefully that will last the twenty as we lost a couple of mins trying to get her to take it.

I can see she's already feeling a little better as she's up to mischeif :roll::lol:

We've been using a spare bunny carrier with plastic badgs taped over the side vent holes and then pegging plastic onto the front when Willow is in. He gets a bowl of noms and some hay to munch and isn't bothered at all by the noise!

I've got some photos (as he's just been boarding at RNGPWelfare so I wrote instructions....) but I need to do photobucket faff to get them up....

Back again:

098cb380d04b36f3daacd4ade6965091.jpg

And under the front cover
2986786296751dc19d90d10145ca1f20.jpg

Last edited:

We've been using a spare bunny carrier with plastic badgs taped over the side vent holes and then pegging plastic onto the front when Willow is in. He gets a bowl of noms and some hay to munch and isn't bothered at all by the noise!

I've got some photos (as he's just been boarding at RNGPWelfare so I wrote instructions....) but I need to do photobucket faff to get them up....

Back again:

098cb380d04b36f3daacd4ade6965091.jpg

And under the front cover
2986786296751dc19d90d10145ca1f20.jpg

Thanks, unfortunately our carrier is quite big so I'm not sure how well it would work? I'm assuming you don't want the box too big or it would take longer to fill?

Even though she had her carrot mush with meds in there she just ignored it trying to get out. :(

To start with we used to wrap Bramble in a towel to use his nebuliser, then no towel but still on my lap and now he will just do it sitting on the floor and I don't even need to pick him up. He is so good :love:

008pdq.jpg

Nutmeg started to fidget after a while with the mask, she's too damn nosey!! So I've been covering their carrier with fleece blankets and doing it that way.

The carrier (Cabrio) has a very handy hole where there is supposed to be food/water bowls but its perfect for threading through the nebuliser lead. So I have that hooked inside the carrier (another very handy vent just in the right place) and plug that and the other gap with a rolled up fleece. I then made the fleece into a cover for the carrier which goes over, round the sides and back and then underneath. Added velcro near the front for another piece of fleece which covers the vents at the front, these leaves a handy window on the carrier to see through. Honestly it's like the carrier was made for it :lol: I also put a piece of fleece under the unit on the table to quieten it a bit. The vents are at the sides so it shouldn't overheat.

I think it's helping, she seems to be flopped more than hunched now. She's still noisey though, especially at night when asleep, I'm wondering if that is where the mucus is being shifted. I'm thinking of asking for some more bisolvon next time I go to help thin it.

We've got into quite a routine with it and I think she secretly enjoys eating her pellets in there all to herself. :lol:

One question, I've been cleaning the cup every time, do I need to do this? If not, how often does it need to be cleaned out?

we have a clear plastic 80ltr storage box with a hole put in the side. works well. recently, because matt has been too warm for the box (he doesn't like it if it's warmer weather) i have just been sitting on the floor with him and holding it to his nose and he just sits there and goes to sleep :love:

he will have to go in the box for his stronger meds, but when it's just saline, i might try this new method. :love:

we have a clear plastic 80ltr storage box with a hole put in the side. works well. recently, because matt has been too warm for the box (he doesn't like it if it's warmer weather) i have just been sitting on the floor with him and holding it to his nose and he just sits there and goes to sleep :love:

he will have to go in the box for his stronger meds, but when it's just saline, i might try this new method. :love:

Nutmeg panicked in a clear box for some reason. :(

I have to hold the mask over Buster, he struggles the whole time. I did mention doing it in a box to my vet, she didnt think it was a good idea because he'd get wet? His nose is dripping when the mask comes off so i can see what she means, also surely if your putting food in that means its getting covered in saline, does that matter? Ive been thinking about doing a box but im not sure about it really :?

Nutmeg panicked in a clear box for some reason. :(

oh that's a shame :( matt prefers it because he can see us through it. i sit by the box and so does bisc so he likes that. at first he used to scratch to get out and would even fall over he was scratching at the lid so much. i had to build up the time gradually and he was fine after that. now he loves it. except when it's warm, then he doesn't like going in there. :?

I have to hold the mask over Buster, he struggles the whole time. I did mention doing it in a box to my vet, she didnt think it was a good idea because he'd get wet? His nose is dripping when the mask comes off so i can see what she means, also surely if your putting food in that means its getting covered in saline, does that matter? Ive been thinking about doing a box but im not sure about it really :?

they don't get wet, just slightly damp maybe. they don't seem to mind and they dry quickly. it's never been a problem with my two anyway. :?

i put probiotic pellets in for them and they just sit and eat them straight away, again no problems, although i wouldn't personally put any veg in or anything. i find pellets are fine but i tried dried herbs once and they didn't eat them. it doesn't matter if they get covered in saline, although they don't really get chance because they eat them straight away and then spend the rest of the time either licking the steam off the sides of the box, or just snoozing in there. :wave:

Nutmeg normally has a drink straight afterwards so I usually use the time she's in there to check and refresh that. I don't think it matters if what they eat has some saline on, after all they'll probably groom themselves and ingest it that way anyway. Smudge the other day went in the carrier afterwards and started licking the door :roll::lol:

Back