• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly screens over runs or rearguard?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I think someone on here used fly screens in their runs, I just wondered whether to try and sort this out for Doughnut or just get rearguard for this summer.

She's just been for her health check and they have clipped all her poopy bum fur balls off so she is nice and clean but I think she will be getting a few more since the medicine she is on is making her very loose. Just wondered whether to get rearguard or just get the screens for a permanent solution and how did you attach them to runs to fit.

I've got a wash from the vets to clean her every day, going to try but she is so hard to catch and it stresses her out. Going to try using one hand over her so she is squashed to the side of me with her face under my arm and with the other hand clean her. The nurse did this on the table but she had trouble with it too. Would be nice to try and keep her clean and wipe the urine away from her back legs. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be gratefully received!

if you're doing bum washes then rear guard is pointless as it'll just wash right off, no harm in putting fly screen up, I think I might do it this year

Hmmmm...

I'd see how you go with the washing and if you manage to wash her every day or if it ends up being too much for her.

If it does then like Georgey says then put the screen up.

If not, then I'd Rearguard AND put the screen up, better safe than sorry!

Doughnut's so lovely it's not worth the risk :love::love::love:

Ah thanks she is a sweetie. Because she's been ill I hate stressing her out more, like to give her a bit of peace.

I may look into the screens anyway, nice to have peace of mind. I know they do some online but can you think of any shops that do them? Maybe I could just get mesh and try and attach it around the run! I guess cable ties is one way to attach.

Yes I will see how the washes go. The nurse said she would put the rearguard on her free of charge as they have free clinics and it needs doing every 6 weeks. She could then have a little tidy up if necessary, so may do this too.

I'm hoping it's just this summer and hopefully she will be able to keep herself clean. Just wondered what everyone else does or if they don't bother.

Ah thanks she is a sweetie. Because she's been ill I hate stressing her out more, like to give her a bit of peace.

I may look into the screens anyway, nice to have peace of mind. I know they do some online but can you think of any shops that do them? Maybe I could just get mesh and try and attach it around the run! I guess cable ties is one way to attach.

Yes I will see how the washes go. The nurse said she would put the rearguard on her free of charge as they have free clinics and it needs doing every 6 weeks. She could then have a little tidy up if necessary, so may do this too.

I'm hoping it's just this summer and hopefully she will be able to keep herself clean. Just wondered what everyone else does or if they don't bother.

I don't know any shop that does them, I'm useless at things like that.

I did Rearguard Harry when he used to go outside, but I only got as far as doing him once and then he had to be pts. :cry:

Rearguard has lots of contra-indications including loss of appetite, which I find scary in a product designed for a rabbit.

Could your vet shave her butt as this is one of the easiest ways of managing a rabbit that is unable to keep themselves clean and dry.

Rearguard has lots of contra-indications including loss of appetite, which I find scary in a product designed for a rabbit.

Could your vet shave her butt as this is one of the easiest ways of managing a rabbit that is unable to keep themselves clean and dry.

That's interesting. Will give it a miss then. She is shaved now so should be ok for a while just want to make sure while she's on this medicine.

:cry:
I don't know any shop that does them, I'm useless at things like that.

I did Rearguard Harry when he used to go outside, but I only got as far as doing him once and then he had to be pts. :cry:

pleased you still have ludo. Poor little harry.

You can get flyscreens on Amazon and ebay. I also hang fly paper up in and around the runs and use citronella oil to ward them off.

Thanks everyone. I've seen some mosquito netting on amazon so going to buy that and put it over her run so nothing can get in.

I'm not putting her out this weekend, feel a bit mean and she seems to be clean but would rather not risk it since her stools are loose so will attract the flys anyway. There is so much to think about when you have a rabbit!

Back