• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

free Ranging Advice

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all

Looking for advice here.

Today has been lovely sunny weather and I allowed Willow and Smudge out to free range. HOWEVER ,....Willow has been quite vicious to Smudge today, chasing him and jumping on him when he is out in the garden....

If she is being territorial about the garden in general...What's the best way to progress? I should add. it's not the whole garden . it's a large strip of garden with mesh at either side to make a very long run...

Help... advice please as I don't want Smudge and willow to be locked in all summer, but I don't want fighting either...

Thanks
Fee xxx

Where are they usually housed? Pea and Pod get territorial over the garden sometimes so I limit them to a very small area of it, gradually increasing the space using puppy pannels. If they're housed in the garden, could you attach some pannels to their shed/hutch and create a 'run' area, and then gradually increase the space? Bit more difficult if they're normally indoors because the whole garden is already 'new' to them.

Thanks Mackers....

They usually have the shed and 2 runs attached to make a 10 x 5 run,,,,
I had out mesh panels out from the run to give them at least another 15 feet x 5 feet but this is when Willow got all feisty and nasty..... I saw them running and assumed they were just playing but then she launched herself at him!, Have NEVER seen that before... They are now both inside the run and shed again till I can figure out what to do....Wen they have the whole garden they are fine but my neighbour is doing repairs to fence and drive so can't have them up that end....

Are there ever any other rabbits in the garden?
We can't let Tulip and Mango out in the garden for a good few days after Fudge has been out, as it sets them off fighting each other :(

Well.... My previous bunnies Frankie, Benny and Floppy had all been out in the garden.....but that was about 3 months ago!!!! I didn't give that a thought...

I tried letting them out again but Wllow didn't leave the run and Smudge managed to get under the wire mesh panel and went into next doors garden... The workmen who were doing the neighbours driveway shouting... "There's a bunny in this garden". Bless them, they stopped work to have a wee stroke and shepherded him back through the gap......... I am not letting them out again Until I can be 100% sure Smudge can't escape.... The gap was minute,,, I thought it would have been a tight squeeze for a rat, let alone a bunny,,,,

Clearly my garden is lo longer bunny proof... Will need to invest

Well.... My previous bunnies Frankie, Benny and Floppy had all been out in the garden.....but that was about 3 months ago!!!! I didn't give that a thought...

I tried letting them out again but Wllow didn't leave the run and Smudge managed to get under the wire mesh panel and went into next doors garden... The workmen who were doing the neighbours driveway shouting... "There's a bunny in this garden". Bless them, they stopped work to have a wee stroke and shepherded him back through the gap......... I am not letting them out again Until I can be 100% sure Smudge can't escape.... The gap was minute,,, I thought it would have been a tight squeeze for a rat, let alone a bunny,,,,

Clearly my garden is lo longer bunny proof... Will need to invest

:shock: Scary! Good job you got him back safe and sound.

Hahahaaa... Buddies said to me that he was an escapologist... He really is.... At the mo, he is chewing the run!! making his bid for freedom.....again!!,!!,!,!

Back