• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homebase turf

mccrayon

New Kit
Hi!

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place :) I've looked and can't find any threads already answering this, but apologies if I missed it.

We were looking at getting some turf from Homebase for our bunnies. We unfortunately don't have a garden, and would love for them to experience grass and mud, if that doesn't sound totally daft!

We noticed that our local Homebase sells this turf in 1 metre squared patches for £4: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=305171 but we weren't sure if it had been grown with pesticides/chemcials etc. We asked at the customer service desk, who said they'd ring the buyer in the week and ask, and get back to us. They never did get back to us, and never answered their phone when we tried to ring them. I then Tweeted Homebase, who did respond, saying: "All of our turf is treated with sprays to control weeds, insects and disease but all comply within current legislation" and that "They comply with EU legislation and current UK law's But I cannot advice any further on if the item is pet safe"

I'm assuming from that, that it might not be a good idea to buy it for our bunnies, but don't know for sure as I know nothing about grass chemicals and whatnot. Does anyone here have any thoughts/knowledge on the topic?

Thanks guys!

Whenever we lay new turf we don't let the bunnies eat it until it's had several mowings.

Have you considered using some large litter trays or storage boxes, old ones ideally, use a drill to put drainage holes in the base, fill with soil and simply seed with grass seeds.

Ooh, a storage box is a good idea, thanks! I hadn't thought of that, but sounds like it would be a good size as a digging box! :)

I was going to suggest growing your own in trays etc... some places sell grass seed loose so you won't have to be stuck with enough for do a whole garden!

Good luck...

Hannah :)

Whenever we lay new turf we don't let the bunnies eat it until it's had several mowings.

Have you considered using some large litter trays or storage boxes, old ones ideally, use a drill to put drainage holes in the base, fill with soil and simply seed with grass seeds.

Would be cheaper also x

Back