• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!? Not moving / eating?!!

kt6382

Warren Scout
Just gone out to feed the buns and couldn't find Sandy. Eventually found him sitting inside the hutch looking as if he was asleep... Can't tempt him to come out and he's not interested in any food :( even though its dinner time and he's usually starving and hopping round like mad.

Do I need to phone / visit an emergency vet? or do I wait until morning and see if he's back to his normal self??

He was fine this morning when I went out but I have been out all day so don't know what he's been like....

I would take him straight to the vet, they go downhill so quickly it may be too late by morning :( sending lots of vibes xx

ok I'll try calling. Last time I had to call in evening they told me it would be fine and just to bring him in in the morning....

It sounds as if he definitely needs to see a vet as a matter of urgency I really, really wouldn't wait until morning. Good luck - sending lots of vibes for him to get better soon.

Just went out to try again and he was out of the hutch and seemed to hop ok, but not interested in food and when trying to offer it to him he gets grupmy and hopped back into the hutch and lay down :(

I would be off to vets too. If this is the first time it's happened then it's best to whisk him straight there and find out what's wrong before it develops into something more serious.

:( Vet says not an emergency :( but bring in tomorrow morning if still not eating... and says look for poo / signs of eating... trouble is Pebbles eats everything as soon as I put it in the shed! and his poops will be everywhere... it'd stress them out more to separate and move one of them???

Going to try and squeeze some fibreplex into his mouth... Going to worry all night :(

Me too but there's not alot else I can do! Managed to wipe some fibreplex in his face so he had to lick a bit off... He's hopping around as he is desparate toget away from my offerings of food!
Really worried but don't know what else to do... The vet admitted it is serious when rabbits dont eat but said I had to wait until morning and see how he was... :(

Of course it's up to you but I would take him in anyway. Surely they can't refuse to see you?

But there won't be anyone there?? They have emergency mobile numbers that g to the vet on call but he's at home in bed by the sound of it! So there's no good me taking him there and banging on the door :(

But there won't be anyone there?? They have emergency mobile numbers that g to the vet on call but he's at home in bed by the sound of it! So there's no good me taking him there and banging on the door :(

Oh I see! How awful of your vet :( Have you tried tempting him with herbs? I'm sorry I don't really now what t advise m not very knowledgable on health things!

Thanks for your responses though :)

I've tried all sorts, pellets. grass, hay, bramble leaves, strwberry leaves, spinach etc, all of which he normally loves! Just makes me so worried and hate that I have to wait until morning :( Husband thinks I'm mad! He thinks the vet is always right... but I'm not sure :( At least he's still hopping around (even if it is to get away from me trying to shove food in his face!) just worried coz I fed him at about 6:30am and have been away all day so he might have not eaten anything else since then?!!!! That's bad :(

Husband is going to have to take him to the vet as soon as it opens! I won't be allowed time off for that! :( but it won't open til *:30 - 9am and I'll have been at work for 2 hours by then worrying :(

It's a good sign that he's still moving around, is he indoors? If you cant bring him in have you got a heat pad that you could give him? you could try another emergency vets and see if they'll see you, f he doesn't improve

:) I'm so relieved, loooked out my window this morning and Sandy was out in his run!! Not munching grass but hopping about a bit. Phew! Thought I might lose him over night :(

He's now eaten a selection of dandelion leaves, brambles, plaintain and dock but is still not being tempted much by grass or hay (but then I wouldn't if I was offered better stuff!!)

Going to get husband to pop out there very hour to feed him some more and check still eating. If goes downhill again it'll be straight to the vets - before closing time!!!!

Thanks for keeping me going when I was panicking last night :)

I am glad he has picked up today. bunnies are just so unpredictable... I hope he continues to make "nomming progress"

Vets should be able to give hima wee once over anyway just to ensure all is well...

All the best
Fee x

Just got home from work and have had the update from my husband. Sandy has been munching leaves and pellets all day, and my husband managed to get him to eat grass and hay too. I've just been out and he's eaten more leaves, but not grass or hay that I've offered. Didn't get home in time for vets, but jiust read your messages.... should I still try and take him in tomorrow then? Even though he's eating again now? What does it mean if his ears feel cold? I just felt behind his neck as I've been told to do before and he's warm, but his ears (dwarf type lop) feel colder than Pebbles... or maybe he'd just been out in rain??

Do vets do just a check up for rabbits? If so how much should it cost do you reckon?? They're also due their jabs anyway, do I go for the vhd and myxi together one or the separate two?

Just got home from work and have had the update from my husband. Sandy has been munching leaves and pellets all day, and my husband managed to get him to eat grass and hay too. I've just been out and he's eaten more leaves, but not grass or hay that I've offered. Didn't get home in time for vets, but jiust read your messages.... should I still try and take him in tomorrow then? Even though he's eating again now? What does it mean if his ears feel cold? I just felt behind his neck as I've been told to do before and he's warm, but his ears (dwarf type lop) feel colder than Pebbles... or maybe he'd just been out in rain??

Do vets do just a check up for rabbits? If so how much should it cost do you reckon?? They're also due their jabs anyway, do I go for the vhd and myxi together one or the separate two?

i would take him for a check up yes, just to make sure there arent any teeth problems or something else that caused this. my vet charges about £30 for a consultation but they're quite an expensive vet! if you get the vaccinations done at the same time it will be a bit more cost effective for you :thumb: the combined one is out now so that saves a second trip and its cheaper :D the old ones are being phased out

Back