• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Message for Munchingbunny / Syringe Feeding

cara

Alpha Buck
Have just used your method and it was spot on!

I have struggled over the years with various methods and yours is the ONLY ONE that has worked. The photo's certainly added to the explanation.

Husband said 1ml syringe is far too small, we need a bigger one but I wanted to go with your method exactly and he was very pleasantly surprised at the success. One thing we did do was use a screw driver just to open the very tiny amount of end piece up a little more, bearing in mind the black bung issue which at that point the syringe still had a smidgen of a narrow(ness!) to prevent it choking the rabbit. So the syringe was, throughout the length, fat, narrow and then the last minute piece opened up a little. To clarify further, the syringe had a 'bottleneck' to prevent the bung flying into the rabbits mouth.

I think your method should be a sticky somewhere as I know a lot of people despair over syringe feeding recovery food.

Thanks a mil!

Cara

no problem just glad it worked out for you. works with baby birds too! really surprised that no one has designed a proper oral syringe for feeding small animals. hope your bunny is ok : )

Absolutely. I am spreading the word!

Teddy is a lot better, eating well and pooping although very small poops. Bond has broken down so are going to try and sort that today - not my idea of fun!

Thanks once again.

Back