• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lethargic Rabbit With semi-closed eyes

Inka&Binky

New Kit
My poor little rabbit Binky is very lethargic and has semi-closed eyes. She is drinking but shows no interest in eating.

She is 3 (almost 4), neutered and Began doing this overnight. Looked on the web for help but it was all a bit vague. She seems to not be able to hold her head up. Please can I have any help?

You need to phone the vets now and get her in as an emergancy tonight.

Rabbits being prey animals tend not to show that they are poorly until they are very very poorly. Not eating is also a sure sign of pain :( please get her seen ASAP!

Just reiterating what others have said: your rabbit needs to see a vet urgently - they go downhill so quickly.

Please let us know how you get on.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the vet has sent Binky to the glorias rabbit nivarna in the sky. It was abrupt but we miss you dearly. God's speed with you Binky and may the clouds be your endless feild. Run free our baby. X

Binky free little Binky... sorry to hear this devastating news.....

Did the vet say what the cause was,,,,?

hugs
Fee x

The vet said that it was most likely digestive problems and that some rabbits are more susceptible to it. However they didn't give us a definitive answer. :( Thank you for all your support, it is very comforting.

Yep, sadly bunnies digestive systems are incredibly fragile and not eating for ANY length of time can prove fatal,., unless you take immediate action things can sooo quickly go downhill.. I really am very sorry,,,,.

All the best
Fee x

Back