• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Furby has stopped eating again

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Am taking Furby back to the vet at 4.50 pm as he has stopped nomming again. He is nibbling, but not eating as much as he was. He looks miserable too.

He isn't snuffly so I am wondering if he needs a dental. If he does it will be a nightmare. He isn't really up to a GA, I have an MRI scan in Swindon tomorrow and will be sedated so can't drive and I am almost up to my overdraft limit.

I've just had my counselling and he was horrified I would consider cancelling my MRI in order for Furby to have a dental tomorrow as I have waited quite a while for the appointment and a friend has juggled his work to be able to take me.

I will have to get a bus or taxi to pick Furby up if necessary but I am so worried he won't survive the GA. I can't leave him with toothache though:(

He has been loads better and even humped Faye the other day. She was NOT impressed and looked at me as if to say 'Hmmm - Furby must be feeling better'.

Vibes for my brave Furby bun would be really appreciated. He is still on penicillin and vetergesic for his pasteurella.

I'm sure they'd be able to keep him in for an extra night or two if necessary wouldn't they? Although it doesn't really help your money situation :(

Your MRI comes first. You can't look after Furby if you're falling apart!

I'm sure they'd be able to keep him in for an extra night or two if necessary wouldn't they? Although it doesn't really help your money situation :(

Your MRI comes first. You can't look after Furby if you're falling apart!

Furby gets incredibly stressed at the vet - which is why I usually pick him up almost as soon as he has had his op. He won't eat there at all and almost freezes with fear. I wouldn't leave him there overnight as he would go into stasis. The vet knows this which is partly why Furby wasn't hospitalised when he was really bad with his pasteurella. Furby is much better at home.

I've just cleaned the outdoor buns out and popped Furby in the back yard and he hopped around exploring whereas when I did that before when he was very snuffly, he just sat where I had placed him. He seems to be grooming much more than usual too - but then he is moulting.

I have tried to look in his mouth but can't see anything obvious. Just hope the vet can help.

Thank you for the vibes xxxx

Another £82:shock::shock:

The good news is that Furby doesn't need a dental. He does have a slight lump in his jaw but this was not painful to the touch - Furby didn't react at all when the vet felt it. He has no teeth at all on one side of his mouth and those on the other side are all over the place but there is no obvious dental problem or abscess.

What I did notice when I was cuddling Furby while talking to the vet is that he has a couple of areas of bare skin. One I wouldn't have seen unless he moved his head up as he did when I was holding him on his back (but with his head up). The vet looked and said Furby has mites. I was mortified. I actually clean them all out more often now I am not working much and the evenings are lighter. Furby had mites when I first rehomed him. Apparently, they can be triggered by stress which makes sense as poor Furby has been through a lot lately.

The vet also commented on Furby's head tilt. I had mentoned this to the other vet who thought it was linked with Furby's poorly eye, although that is fully open again now. This vet has given me baytril to dispense alongside the penicillin to try and get rid of the infection in that side of Furby's face.

I have a bottle of vetergesic so I can adjust Furby's pain relief according to how he is without needing to take Furby back to the vet again.

I also have drops to put on Furby's skin once a week for three weeks to get rid of the mites.

It makes sense now why he would stop eating and start grooming - poor love must be so itchy.

I have just picked some dandelions from my very overgrown garden and Furby is nomming them.

I am relieved he doesn't need a dental as the vet said he wouldn't risk a GA at the moment. I do want an X-ray done to see if he has elongated tooth roots, but I agree that now is not the time to put Furby under anaesthetic. If he absolutely has to have a dental the vet will try sedation rather than a GA but the side of his mouth which needed the dentals now has no teeth left!!

Back