• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE HELP Twinkles off colour again U/D page 2

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
Twinkle was poorly 2wk ago today, the vets decided shes probably got joint pain, shes currently on 0.4ml per day of metacam. she was originally supposed to be on 1ml per day but that another story.

So this morning after a drop in outside temp I gave her 0.2 at half eight as she was just sat huddled up and didnt want breakfast.

at 10.50am ive just come back and checked her shes the same so Ive given her 0.3ml and brought her in, shes just laid on the rug with various foods around her. but shes not interested shes just laid, her heads up but her eyes arent bright and wide which makes me think shes in pain.

How much metacam can she have in a day please. shes about 2.3kg

Last edited:
Twinkle was poorly 2wk ago today, the vets decided shes probably got joint pain, shes currently on 0.4ml per day of metacam. she was originally supposed to be on 1ml per day but that another story.

So this morning after a drop in outside temp I gave her 0.2 at half eight as she was just sat huddled up and didnt want breakfast.

at 10.50am ive just come back and checked her shes the same so Ive given her 0.3ml and brought her in, shes just laid on the rug with various foods around her. but shes not interested shes just laid, her heads up but her eyes arent bright and wide which makes me think shes in pain.

How much metacam can she have in a day please. shes about 2.3kg

Firstly you need to be sure that it is the same thing you are dealing with now as it was previously

Has she poo'd the normal amount overnight ?

Wee output ?

Respiratory rate/effort increased ?

Is she abnormally cold to touch ?

Firstly you need to be sure that it is the same thing you are dealing with now as it was previously

Has she poo'd the normal amount overnight ?

Wee output ?

Respiratory rate/effort increased ?

Is she abnormally cold to touch ?

Last night she was fine, but she was in the shed again at bedtime which is what she did before when she was ill. Shes inside now which isnt her favorite place. She feel ok tempreture and not cold to touch. her ears are still up, her breathing appears normal. She is doing a very slight shiver but not all the time but Im not sure if that cos shes inside.

Shes with another rabbit so not sure about output unfortunately.

Just tried touching her back legs but she didnt like it and tucked them back in

I think another Vet check may be needed as whilst it may be that it is the same issue you cant be certain. A full examination would hopefully mean that any other problem will be picked up on. Without knowing if there has been any output her pain today may be GI tract related. So an abdominal examination would establish if that is or is not the case.

Whilst giving pain relief is obviously important so is establishing the actual source of pain. I hope she feels better soon xx

theyve very kindly seen her between their operations. ive left her there so they can see in their time. I was gutted leaving her, Im useless in these situations.

Im also struggling with how long to go on for. This is the 3rd time in 2 weeks. How fair is it on her to quite possibly go overnight or during a day in pain when Im in bed or at work.

Im not prepared to put her through the stress of constant back and forwards to the vets or I dont think I can put her through xrays etc. Its not just a financial thing although that is there its the quality of life for Twink. THen theres the stress of it on me where my constant thought is 'Is the rabbit ok', 'will she be ok if we go out for the day'

So shes not eaten today, possibly overnight, the litter tray on inspection hasnt got enough 'output' for 2 rabbits and she didnt do anything whilst in the house for 2 hours. Shes had 3 tiny laps at the water bowl. Shes growled and then ground her teeth which I know is never good.

I hate days like this.

I hope they manage to find out what the problem is and I hope it's something that can be treated. xx

Jane I just want to say many thanks for your prompt response to this thread it was greatly appreciated, what would we all do without you on this forum.

I do hope that the Vet can get to the route cause of Twinkles problem. It is so very stressful when a Bun is unwell but we dont know why.

the vet rang, theyve got a drip in her ear cos she was dehydrated and her skin was 'tenting' shes now eat a bit of hay and is really keen to drink.

The vet says that its worth trying today with her as shes picked up so quick, shes had a zantac and gut stimulant too.

We are currently just tipping the £100 mark, but theyve very kindly offered me a payment plan as we just dont have that sort of money having spent £60 in the last 2 weeks on her.

The thought at the moment are as shes doing well at the moment I have to give her the chance, plan is to bring her home tonight. But if she goes down hill again then we have to consider the Twinks welfare of being in pain and maybe feeling ill for a long time before we see her in the morning etc.

The vet says that the lump removed last year probably wont be connected as its too long ago and they cant feel anything. She also said it was probably benign as we would have had issues with it by now.
Think we could have 2 house rabbits tonight.

the vet rang, theyve got a drip in her ear cos she was dehydrated and her skin was 'tenting' shes now eat a bit of hay and is really keen to drink.

The vet says that its worth trying today with her as shes picked up so quick, shes had a zantac and gut stimulant too.

We are currently just tipping the £100 mark, but theyve very kindly offered me a payment plan as we just dont have that sort of money having spent £60 in the last 2 weeks on her.

The thought at the moment are as shes doing well at the moment I have to give her the chance, plan is to bring her home tonight. But if she goes down hill again then we have to consider the Twinks welfare of being in pain and maybe feeling ill for a long time before we see her in the morning etc.

The vet says that the lump removed last year probably wont be connected as its too long ago and they cant feel anything. She also said it was probably benign as we would have had issues with it by now.
Think we could have 2 house rabbits tonight.

Did the Vet mention her Kidney Function at all ?

Hm, I wouldn't be thinking about giving up on her yet. If she is going into stasis because of joint pain, I think it might be just a case of managing her pain. Fiver has recently been in pain, and it's suspected that he has arthritis in his hips/spine. You wouldn't think it, the way he runs around and binkies, but he sits hunched up, refuses to lay down and grinds his teeth. He was originally on 0.5mls twice a day. After he seemed more comfortable, I very slowly dropped his dose down by 0.2mls a week. He now gets 0.2mls twice a day and seems to be more comfortable and is acting much more like himself. He has problems with his hocks (most likely secondary to the arthritis) and this is something that now needs addressing.
However, he has not been going into stasis due to the pain, and I understand that it really isn't fair if they are suffering so much. Money permitting, it might be worth to have her bloods taken to rule out any kidney problems, then perhaps she can have a higher dose of metacam.

I would certainly discuss with your vet what they think is causing the bouts of stasis.

Sending your bun lots of vibes. I know how hard it is to see your rabbit in pain. x

Well shes home. Shes been under a heat lamp all afternoon,shes had zantac, metoclorpramide, then 500ml of vetivex, hypnovel and then they had to sedate her cos she was biting the IV line so shes had Hypnorm sedation.

Shes a bit spaced out with lucid periods at the moment, but eating and drinking. they commented how much she drank at the vets and shes drunk plenty since getting home.

Weve brought them both in so we can keep an eye on her. She goes back tomorrow night unless things arent right in the morning.

We simply arent in a position to do blood tests etc. Ive had to put this on a kind of payment plan. My husband wasnt best pleased with the £134 bill I got today, added to the £25 two weeks ago and £33 last saturday. He understands my love of my pets but when you aint got the money, you just cant do everything. Tomorrows appointment is free as its classed as a post op check.

Well shes home. Shes been under a heat lamp all afternoon,shes had zantac, metoclorpramide, then 500ml of vetivex, hypnovel and then they had to sedate her cos she was biting the IV line so shes had Hypnorm sedation.

Shes a bit spaced out with lucid periods at the moment, but eating and drinking. they commented how much she drank at the vets and shes drunk plenty since getting home.

Weve brought them both in so we can keep an eye on her. She goes back tomorrow night unless things arent right in the morning.

We simply arent in a position to do blood tests etc. Ive had to put this on a kind of payment plan. My husband wasnt best pleased with the £134 bill I got today, added to the £25 two weeks ago and £33 last saturday. He understands my love of my pets but when you aint got the money, you just cant do everything. Tomorrows appointment is free as its classed as a post op check.

To me it sounds like her Kidney may be the problem- the excessive drinking and the episodes of pain

Could you discuss this with the Vet ?

To me it sounds like her Kidney may be the problem- the excessive drinking and the episodes of pain

Could you discuss this with the Vet ?

Ive to take her back tomorrow evening so yes I will definately talk with her about it. Im presuming metacam is the same with rabbits as it is with cats and isnt good with kidneys? Thank you Jane, I shall now google kidney problems in rabbits.

At the moment shes laid on the rug, shes been in and out of the indoor cage a couple of times, shes eating dandilions

Ive to take her back tomorrow evening so yes I will definately talk with her about it. Im presuming metacam is the same with rabbits as it is with cats and isnt good with kidneys? Thank you Jane, I shall now google kidney problems in rabbits.

At the moment shes laid on the rug, shes been in and out of the indoor cage a couple of times, shes eating dandilions

You could suggest treating as if for Pyelonephritis/EC - so an antibiotic and Panacur

Back