• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head Tilt - Physio/massaging the neck area

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
Hi All:wave::wave:

My mini lop rabbit Holly who is 7 years old developed a head tilt at the start of April. The vet prescrided four weeks of dog metacam, Baytril and six weeks of panacur. The only symptom was the head tilt - Holly was eating and moving ok. The vet has now said that Holly is ok but will always have a tilt.

I've been massaging the area around Holly's neck since the start of the head tilt but I'm not sure how long I should continue for.

Any advice would be appreciated;)

Hiya :wave:

My youngest bun started with head tilt at 4 weeks old. In addition to his meds I used to very gently massage his neck (as he was so tiny) and sort of roll his head very slightly from side to side - a bit like you do when you have a stiff neck. I did this all the time that he had his meds, which was around 6 weeks and continued after as part of a daily cuddle with him. Must have been a good 3 months or so but it wasn't a chore. Fortunately his head tilt went in the end. His face is slightly lopsided and I do still massage him on occasions. He seems to like it :D

I so hope your bun improves x

I had a head tilt bun, Kermit.
He had EC and was left with head tilt after recovering. He just managed to cope fine. It is amazing how well the adjust.

Your bun might just be left with the tilt, but if she gets contentment from the massage and you have time to do it then I would continue.

I have heard of a few bunnies who's tilt corrects after a few months so there is deffo hope :)

With Mischa I did very, very gentle massaging on his neck. I also very, very, VERY gently turned it to the right position a few times. He ended up making an almost complete recovery.

With Mischa I did very, very gentle massaging on his neck. I also very, very, VERY gently turned it to the right position a few times. He ended up making an almost complete recovery.

Ooh this is a very good description of what I was trying to say about moving my buns head from side to side - more like back to straight etc :thumb:

Roger had the most severe head tilt my bunny vet had ever seen, but I worked relentlessly on his neck to stop the muscles contracting and everything shifting to the new bizarre position. All evening I would sit with him laid on my lap long ways, and with one leg slightly raised, because that made Roger lay straight against it then, and while he was in that position I gently massaged his neck for about 5hrs a night, and had little lavender pillows that could be put in the microwave, as the warmth is very therapeutic for the neck muscles as well, and I used to put these up against his neck while he was laid straight to keep everything warm and supple. He did make a full recovery with no head tilt whatsoever, so it really is worth putting the time in on it.

Back