• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new bunny friends when old friends pass away

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
It feels really odd thinking about this and writing it but i wondered how long to wait before getting betty a new friend?

Iggy passed away only a couple of weeks ago and i still dont feel ready to get her a friend really but she is so lonely and she has started being grunty and stamping.

Iggy was my first rabbit and i miss him terribly. He was a good friend to me and i feel like i am being callous thinking about getting betty a new friend.

But she is lonely. Esp as she is on her own all day.

What are your experiences of this?

When i lost Oscar in January, i was devastated, and Roo his wife was too, i felt all those things you are feeling, but what it came down to in the end, was Roo's happiness, she was so lost with out him and spent the first week looking for him and the following week moping about, she was so down and lost her sparkle, thats when i knew we had to do something for her, so we went to the rescue and got Jasper, it may only have been a few weeks after Oscars passing, which felt awful to me, but it was the right time for Roo, she perked up almost instantly. Someone to snuggle with!
So it really is up to Betty. It will be difficult for you but will be beneficial for her in the long run. :) x

I waited a couple of months before getting Oreo after Clent passed away :cry: ( partly because we waited a month for the rescue to reply ) and I waited a month before looking for male bunnies again after Oreo passed away :cry:. Although the thing that worries me most is telling the rescue centre, with Oreo he was only with us a week after 4 years of abuse :cry::cry::cry:. I don't think you're being callous, you just want Betty to be happy.

My experiences are... I always get my grieving bunny a partner long before Im ever ready to...
We as humans can deal with grief in our own way.... but the little furries dont understand and we cant tell them.
I always find a partner for mine a.s.a.p... and usually cry my eyes out doing it..... but to me..... my feelings are not the priority.... I do it for the bunnies xx

I've always got the remaining bunny another partner long before I've managed my grief. When BB lost Joey last year I bonded her within a few days, and when Oscar lost Sea in Feb, he went downhill so rapidly I thought I would lose him, so as soon as he had completed a course of treatment he was bonded with Moon.
I find it harder watching the remaining bunny grieve, so I get them a partner. Once they're settled I allow myself to grieve properly for the baby I lost.

Thank you for your replies. We going to take her to a local rescue (the one we got her from) tomorrow evening. They have two little boys who might be a good match. One is pure white with red eyes like a magician's assistant.

I want a bunny as far removed in appearance from iggy as possible. :cry:

Iggy took a lot longer to be ready for a new friend than betty has but then they had on,y been friends for a year and she spent time with his body which i think helped.

Im glad its not just me that didnt feel ready. :)

Thank you for your replies. We going to take her to a local rescue (the one we got her from) tomorrow evening. They have two little boys who might be a good match. One is pure white with red eyes like a magician's assistant.

Iggy took a lot longer to be ready for a new friend than betty has but then they had on,y been friends for a year and she spent time with his body which i think helped.

aww, good luck tomorrow. :love:

Aww I love REW I adopted my hatter last year from BARC and he's such a loving bunny now :)
Here he is love him he loves the camera now lol
20130218_153220-1.jpg

Aww.... wishing you lots of luck..... hope it works out for you
Youre being very brave and thinking about your existing bunny xxx

Back