• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free to run, in run at night ?

Fluffs mum

Warren Scout
The run we are building has hot dipped galvernised 16 gague mesh and will have bolts on to secure the door and panels on the top secured down. My concern is should I lock then away in thehutch at night? I know of foxes in the area.mwill have a playhouse in the future just not at the mo. so can I ask how many lock buns away at night and how many leave them for their runs please?

Oh and I heard if you get the men of the house to wee on the border of garden it puts foxes off. :shock: mind boggles thought of bro in law and husband seeing around the garden :)

if your run is secure they will be fine in the run at night (if it isn't safe for night time it isn't safe for day time, foxes don't just stick to night time adventures now) that said it took me months to let mine stay in their aviary over night, I felt better shutting them in the their shed :oops:

I've started letting the buns have access to the run at night now, it's a secure wooden and welded mesh one, and sits on concrete slabs. It's connected to the hutch via a runaround tunnel, which is very strong and secure. They seem to put themselves to bed at night anyway, but like to be out in the run early in the morning as the sun comes up.

This topic prompted quite a heated discussion on here a couple of weeks ago.

I let mine have access to their run day and night, but I certainly used to shut away my first rabbits as I thought that was what everyone did.

Oops sorry ! Thee is no foot in mouth icon ...... Did search before I posted but again brought up so many variables ......<slides away to read post under covers with torch.... >

Thank you for your replies !

Oops sorry ! Thee is no foot in mouth icon ...... Did search before I posted but again brought up so many variables ......<slides away to read post under covers with torch.... >

Thank you for your replies !

Ha ha dont worry about it. I worry so so much about my outdoor rabbits. I wish they could all fit in a large downstairs room with a big tunnel to a run outside but...I dont have one. But sounds like your set up will be lovely and secure. I have double meshed our aivery just to be extra sure... (although I'm not, but its worry not logic).

Back