• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question about farm hay

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
o/h is ringing around local farms tomorrow to see if they sell hay bales.

is there anything he needs to ask about it, or is it all suitable for rabbits and piggies? or do some places use unsafe 'things' on the hay. (does that even make sense?! :roll:)

Not really, a farm bale is just meadow hay baled....it is intended to be fed to horses etc so is fine.

ok, thanks. got a big list of farms that i didn't even know were close by. :roll:

if i could at least get part of the hay from a farm, it would save so much money. i spent so much on hay. :roll: hoping mainly for the piggies, because the last farm hay i tried made bisc and matt very snuffly and me and o/h very sneezy and itchy. :evil:

ok, thanks. got a big list of farms that i didn't even know were close by. :roll:

if i could at least get part of the hay from a farm, it would save so much money. i spent so much on hay. :roll: hoping mainly for the piggies, because the last farm hay i tried made bisc and matt very snuffly and me and o/h very sneezy and itchy. :evil:

we save a lot of money getting our bales from the nearby farm. its £5 for a bale but we've been buying smaller bags of hay for £2 because it was easier than getting a bale into the car - very messy and a nightmare to deconstruct it in your kitchen :lol:

The only issue you might have is mites, but I've been using baled hay for about a year now and not had any.

I've only had two dodgy bales, one had a load of vetch in it and one smelt damp. I just bought a new one each time but they've told me to tell them next time and bring back part of the bale to show them. Been buying from them for about 2-3 years so not bad going really.

Back