• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trance

Mandy

Warren Scout
I was grooming Leo earlier and after i brushed his back, I put him on his back to brush his tummy and he went into a trance. It's the first time that's happened. :shock:

I was grooming Leo earlier and after i brushed his back, I put him on his back to brush his tummy and he went into a trance. It's the first time that's happened. :shock:

Hi, although it was unintentional, trancing rabbits is a definite no no :( it is a very high state of stress, being put on their backs makes them play dead, as they are in fear for their lives :cry: it must be avoided unless absolutely necessary. I am sure that now you know, you will be careful to make sure it doesn't happen again :wave:

Hi, although it was unintentional, trancing rabbits is a definite no no :( it is a very high state of stress, being put on their backs makes them play dead, as they are in fear for their lives :cry: it must be avoided unless absolutely necessary. I am sure that now you know, you will be careful to make sure it doesn't happen again :wave:

Yep, sorry to say but this is true.

Please don't feel too bad, I'm sure every single person on the forum has done this before they realised. You can still groom tummies though, just make sure you don't put Leo down quite so far, then he won't 'trance'.

I groom my rabbits by standing them on a table and lifting their front paws up so that their back is pressed against my tummy, then I lean over them and brush them if needed. I do that so claw clipping too, rules out any chance of trancing :thumb:

I groom my rabbits by standing them on a table and lifting their front paws up so that their back is pressed against my tummy, then I lean over them and brush them if needed. I do that so claw clipping too, rules out any chance of trancing :thumb:

I do similar to the table thing. I sit bunny on my knee, then lift the front paws with their back to my belly/chest and their back paws standing, as if they are periscoping on my lap. Then brush their belly :)

You have very well behaved bunnies! :shock: :lol: there is no way mine would let me do that!! :lol: :thumb:

you should see me trying to do it any other way :lol: Imogen completely freaks out, but they're not too bad :love:

Hesperus, you can do it on the floor too, or your lap :)

you should see me trying to do it any other way :lol: Imogen completely freaks out, but they're not too bad :love:

Hesperus, you can do it on the floor too, or your lap :)

Yeah he doesn't mind the floor, he hates laps too!

Strange, he doesn't mind in the least being picked up, on the one condition that it's me who picks him up. Guess that's because I've always picked him up since he was a baby. If someone else picks him up he gets very cross, and heaven forbid a vet tries :lol::lol:

My new girl Ruthy is so wiggly she wont let me pick her up at all :( hopefully she wont mind in time, but it's making bum checking a big challenge...

I really dislike that you posted that video! I watched it and found it useful, so then I started youtube clicking and now I am MAD :evil:
There are so many idiots on the internet claiming to give animal advice that is just plain WRONG! Like people telling you deliberately trance your rabbit because they like it, wire floors are good so they don't stand in their own faeces, or a humane website showing a 3ft indoor cage and saying it was 'perfect' and that 2 hours exercise in a run would also be nice for the rabbits occasionally :censored:

Thank you for your video though :D Sorry for the rant :oops:

I really dislike that you posted that video! I watched it and found it useful, so then I started youtube clicking and now I am MAD :evil:
There are so many idiots on the internet claiming to give animal advice that is just plain WRONG! Like people telling you deliberately trance your rabbit because they like it, wire floors are good so they don't stand in their own faeces, or a humane website showing a 3ft indoor cage and saying it was 'perfect' and that 2 hours exercise in a run would also be nice for the rabbits occasionally :censored:

Thank you for your video though :D Sorry for the rant :oops:

i managed to not click on any, just looking at the titles of them was enough to make my blood boil!

Back