• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming question??

Are there any side effects while taking panacur?? My buns are on a 28 day course and have a week to go. Both are now having messy bottoms and seem to be peeing on themselves! Both are usually healthy and always had perfect poops and were always clean and dry. Also their third eyelid is very slightly showing which isn't normal for them at all and they have very slightly watery eyes too. they are acting normally and full of beans eating everything and lots of hay too. They are doing normal poops along with sticky ones. They alos seem to have lost weight too. Poor darllings such a list of things wrong at the moment but I'm hoping they will get through this.

They are brother and sister, both neutered and are two years old. They never had anything wrong before. They were put on the panacur course due to one of them having uring scald as he was peeing on himself. I must admit the pee in their hut is a lot less scattered around now and is in their normal spots. I'm pretty sure a vet visit is in order but just wanted to ask you guys first just in case I'm worring about nothing.

Thanks guys:wave:

I'm just really confused as to why your vet has put your buns on a 28 day course of Panacur to kill any worms when urine scald is for the main, to do with urinary tract infections, bladder sludge, that kind of thing. I would want to know what his reasoning for this was, when I would have expected antibiotics to be prescribed. I don't know if there are side effects, but I can't help wondering if giving all this wormer to your bunnies, and the most likely problem not being treated at all, is cumulating in everything worsening considerably, as your bunnies conditions continue to deteriorate, because of inappropriate treatment. Is your vet very experienced with rabbits?

Back