• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I understand if she eats enough?

Tonya

Alpha Buck
Since we moved out Chrissy is a bit anxious. She lifts and throws away her food bowl. Since her bedding is woodshavings I can't see through them if she has eaten her food or not. Soon it'll be time for a dental (her last dental was done on 1.01 :D so almost 5 months have passed, I suppose she'll need one end of june in the best case). So it's pretty annoying, it's exactly the time when I need to monitor her closely to get when her appetite is not so good anymore. Her poop looks quite good and I see her eating hay/greens/pellets from time to time so I suppose it's still ok. I suppose I'll put her foodbowl out of the cage so that I can see better what she eats without all those woodshavings, but this can confuse her a little I suppose...what do you think?

It is actually really good for rabbits to have an 80% hay diet and a restricted diet of pellets. My vet recently told me they could pretty much live on a hay only diet and be healthy. I always keep an eye on the weight of my two to check that they are a nice stable healthy weight. I weigh them roughly once a month keep a check on it. Again this was something the vet suggested.

If they are pooping and they look a nice healthy size and colour then that is good but weighing them is a really good way of monitoring it.

Back