• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my new boys or so we were told.

danni_v

New Kit
Hi,
Im kind of new to the whole forum thing but I am desperate for help.
I have had bunnies before but only one at a time, on the 29th April i picked up my two boys from the pet store and everything was fine and lovely for a week and a half but I had been out one day and got a phone call saying one is mounting the other, i thought it was a territorial so i left them to it but something didn't feel right so I took them to the vets and found out that Buster is a boy but Oscar is a girl now called Beau. i separated them immediately and they have separate hutches but how will i know whether i am expecting little baby lionheads or not?
please help I am really concerned.

Hi, m
Im kind of new to the whole forum thing but I am desperate for help.
I have had bunnies before but only one at a time, on the 29th April i picked up my two boys from the pet store and everything was fine and lovely for a week and a half but I had been out one day and got a phone call saying one is mounting the other, i thought it was a territorial so i left them to it but something didn't feel right so I took them to the vets and found out that Buster is a boy but Oscar is a girl now called Beau. i separated them immediately and they have separate hutches but how will i know whether i am expecting little baby lionheads or not?
please help I am really concerned.

how old are they x

It's right on the borderline, with him being that bit older it's certainly possible she could be pregnant.

You could discuss an emergency spay with your vet, four months is a little on the young side most vets prefer to wait until 5-6 months but more experienced ones can do it as young as three.

I would certainly go back to the pet shop and talk about the possibility of them contributing to neutering, as they mis sexed them.

We went back to the pet shop a few days ago and although they were very sorry they didn't really offer any help they just pointed out a tiny sign that we must have missed saying although they try only give a 90% guarantee on the bunnies sex so they just offered to buy back any babies she may have, that doesn't help us in the mean time. Busters testicals have dropped so I'm very worried that she may have been caught as I don't want my little princess ill.

Spaying is really the only way to guarantee there won't be a pregnancy, but if you want to try that option you really need to do it asap.

I wouldn't let the pet shop buy back the babies, if there are any, you wouldn't know where they were going or if they'd be mistreated. Post something on the rabbit rehome. Although the emergency spay idea is something you should do, if the vet says it's safe.

so we have decided to get hem both done. soo worried about my babies going under anesthetic but i really dont want her to go through having babies and then finding home for them and we cant ever guarntee the homes the babies will go to will be a nice loving place so at the end of the month Beau and Buster get their op. love my babies hope it all goes well for them both.

You really need to do it immediately for the female if you want to stop pregnancy. Rabbit pregnancies only last 4 weeks so in 10 days time she could potentially be almost full term. Did you tell the vet when you booked about the possibility of pregnancy? They won't spay late in pregnancy because the amount of blood flow makes it much riskier.

The other option is to wait 4 weeks from the day you separated them and then spay, providing she hasn't given birth in the interim.

Back