• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harvey went into stasis :(

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Poor little boy :(

He was shaking as well :(

Straight to vets and he's had fluids, gut stimulant and pain relief.

Pain relief had kicked in when we got home as he was more "spritely" but was still refusing food :(

His gut has started making some horrifyingly loud noises though and he's now been tucking into hay for a while :D

The noises coming from his tummy are so loud they've made him jump :lol:

Just need a bit of advice, now he's eating should I bother with critical care? He still won't accept treats but is munching hay very well. But he was dehydrated at the vets and they gave him some fluids under the skin and were happy he'd be getting more fluid from his critical care :? But he HATES being syringe fed so the stress of that may counteract the benefits of a bit of further hydration.... They have lots of water out for them but Harvey hasn't noticed it yet as he's so busy eating hay!!!

Poor little thing looks a bit miserable again :( he's stopped munching but he was eating hay for about 20mins non stop :shock: so maybe he's full....

He just looks off still and keep Ls laying down, standing, laying down, standing like he can't get comfy :(

Tummy noises have stopped again too :(

He still won't accept treats :(

So worried about my little boy :(

I'm sorry you are having issues.... Sorry I have never given my buns critical care but positive vibes!,

c'mon little one get well soon

Fee xx

Will he take any herbs like mint that may get him some moisture and help with tummy? Sorry I don't really have much advice, just a thought! Hope he feels better soon xx

Will he take any herbs like mint that may get him some moisture and help with tummy? Sorry I don't really have much advice, just a thought! Hope he feels better soon xx

I have no herbs in :( I almost picked some up today but then thought "I ordered some in my food delivery so I'll have some soon, they can last on dandelions til then!" I might have to go in the dark and pick dandelions and grass!

He is not eating hay still and is looking uncomfortable :(

I gave him critical care, he's physically spitting it out!!! He's refusing all food still :( he hated critical care so much he started grubdubg his teeth :( never ever hear him doing that before :(

I'm keeping them inside overnight to keep an eye on him, they're a little confused!!!

I would say contact the vets... if he isn't eating at all... that could compound issues.. have they given him pain relief to give at home???

I would say contact the vets... if he isn't eating at all... that could compound issues.. have they given him pain relief to give at home???

Nope, I'm to go back in the morning if nothing's improved, I have more gut stimulant to give him at 3am if he's still not eating and some anti-ulceration medication which may actually be anti-inflamm, not sure? He took a small mouthful of hay not so long ago but still looks uncomfy :( he's laid down but doesn't look his normal self :(

I did get some critical care into him even though a lot came back out!

I am so sorry... I really can't advise.... I hope he manages to eat a little bit more....

Vibes xxxx

I am so sorry... I really can't advise.... I hope he manages to eat a little bit more....

Vibes xxxx

Thanks, I don't think there's much to be done but to keep going :( I'm just feeling very scared and miserable about it :(

I just had him on my lap and massaged his tummy, it's a bit swollen :( it made lots of bubbly, gurgly noises and it wasn't hurting him because he was in a position to be able to jump away and didn't and he started licking me half way through. He now having a few more mouthfuls of hay so it did help :D regular tummy massages is going to be the way forwards! Critical care every 1-2 hours as well if he continues not to eat!

On the plus side Lilly is doing massive binkies across the living room, she loves it inside :lol:

If Harvey had pain relief at the vets it will last him until tomorrow
I would go out in the dark and pick some grass / dandelions.. my buns never eat hay when theyre recovering from tummy upsets / stasis... usually needs something a bit more tempting.
Try not to despair..... it can take quite a few hours for meds to kick in
Sending lots of vibes x

If Harvey had pain relief at the vets it will last him until tomorrow
I would go out in the dark and pick some grass / dandelions.. my buns never eat hay when theyre recovering from tummy upsets / stasis... usually needs something a bit more tempting.
Try not to despair..... it can take quite a few hours for meds to kick in
Sending lots of vibes x

Yep I'm going to do that soon. I put some spinach leaves down for him and he didn't want anything to do with them :( Lilly ate them all :roll: he's just rolled over twice but I reckon out of discomfort not happiness :(

Im sorry little Harvey is poorly. It sounds like you are doing everything you can for him and fingers crossed he will pick up soon :(

I put a bowl of water under his face and he drank for ages, poor thing was so thirsty :( I thought he was choosing not to drink not that he hadn't found any of the three water bowls I put out for them :roll: let's hope a it of water will get his gut moving properly!!!

I don't know why he got so much better and sat eating hay for over 20mins straight when we got back from the vets, and then he suddenly stopped and won't again :(

Back at vets now :(

Felt a very large lump either in his stomach or colon :( I could be wrong obviously, I'm not a vet, but better to be safe.

Vet may be a while as dealing with an emergency.

More pain relief, poor baby :( he's never been off his food for this long :( vet says he has a very doughy, swollen tummy, gave him stronger pain meds, offer to take him in but said they'd be doing the same as me just able to give top up pain relief possibly sooner. The one he just had will definitely last until 6am but may tail off over a couple of hour so need to go in then for more if he needs it, fingers are crossed that he won't!

Still refusing hay and other foods :( he just wants to lay down in his corner :(

Just gave him some more gut stimulant, although how much actually went in I'm not sure.... Given him a bit more critical care, but I'm worried that the more he has the more bloated he's going to get? He's not wanting water now either :(

Up again at 5am to try again.....

Lilly just looks bored! I don't think she wants to be inside any more :(

Oh dear, I'm so sorry you've got all this going on with poor Harvey. Such a worry isn't it. :cry: It's a little strange isn't it, because he seems to be displaying symptoms of being in pain, but has had pain relief. Roger hated Critical Care, but loved Recovery, and I used to mix it with warm water, and he absolutely loved it then. Really hope you get on ok at the vets this morning.

Just re-read your thread and was quite surprised you saying about the swollen tummy, because I've replied to a thread on here about a swollen tummy, and 2 of my friends now have had the same thing with their buns, and they have both had surgery to remove big balls of fur that were blocking the entrance to the stomach. Is Harvey moulting? Has he been grooming himself a lot? I will find the thread I replied to and copy and paste it to here, but your Harvey is sounding very similar, in that you can feel something, swollen tummy, very uncomfortable and unhappy in himself. Might not be the same, but I will find it now just in case it does help. Both buns are fine now by the way.

I'm so sorry to hear that your little Autumn is so poorly at the moment, and I know it is such a worry, but it sounds like everything is being done for her, and hopefully she will still go on to make a full recovery, in which case then, I really do suggest that you get her insured. My bunnies are all insured for just under £10 a month each.

I don't know if this will help or not, but a good friend of mine has just had something very similar sounding in her bunny, and my vet diagnosed a condition called Gastric Dilation. Poppy's tummy was really swollen and filled with excess fluid, which was caused by an obstruction at the opening of the stomach, which then leads into the intestine. This caused fluid and semi-digested food to accumulate in her tummy. Do you think something like that might be a possibility with Autumn? Poppy's obstruction turned out to be a large amount of fur that she had ingested whilst grooming herself..

So as to get a very clear indication of what exactly was going on with her, he performed an endoscopy which is where a small camera is attached to a flexible tube. Simon felt it was best to visually examine the stomach cavity with the camera, and he was also able to take a sample of the blockage to find out exactly what it was. Apparently x-rays are ok but don't tend to be very precise, as is in they will hopefully show the blockage, but you still won't know what is actually causing it. Blood and urine analyses are really important because they can tell you if shock has already set in or is likely to occur.

Poppy's treatment was emergency surgery to remove the blockage, but before that Simon did a gastric decompression whereby he intubated her stomach through her mouth to remove all the fluid. Oh dear, Poppy is doing well, but I'm not going to tell you what the total cost was, only that she has only had to pay the £50 excess. She had to stay in a few days to remain on fluids till she had returned to a more balanced state and was on antibiotics as well. At the moment she is still being syringe fed a liquid diet until she has healed more, and Sarah knows now to brush her more often and remove all the dead, loose fur especially during moulting times.

I really do hope you get to the bottom of what is going on with Autumn and that she also makes a good recovery.

Back