• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrhoea

caz-lou

New Kit
Hey, first time poster, long time lurker! One of my beautiful French Lops has diarrhoea which is totally uncontrollable, and is also quite lethargic. We've just been to the vets who's started a worming treatment and also given us Fibreplex to give her. She's in her hutch with fresh hay and water but seems uninterested in both.

We have no idea why shes ill, she had surgery on an artery that she caught on Tuesday but has seemed fine since and has had two long lasting anti biotic injections from the vets. So i just wondered if anyone has any hints and tips to help her along.

Hey, first time poster, long time lurker! One of my beautiful French Lops has diarrhoea which is totally uncontrollable, and is also quite lethargic. We've just been to the vets who's started a worming treatment and also given us Fibreplex to give her. She's in her hutch with fresh hay and water but seems uninterested in both.

We have no idea why shes ill, she had surgery on an artery that she caught on Tuesday but has seemed fine since and has had two long lasting anti biotic injections from the vets. So i just wondered if anyone has any hints and tips to help her along.

I suspect she may be having an adverse reaction to the antibiotics

This is potentially extremely serious. Was the Vet who saw her today aware of her recent history ?

Fluid therapy (IV or subcutaneous) is absolutely essential so I am quite surprised she was not hospitalised today

Personally I would be calling the Vet again to request this as if it is an antibiotic induced enteritis it is life threatening and needs aggressive treatment from the outset. Giving a medication to 'mop up' the 'bad' gut bacteria which may now have proliferated as a result of the antibiotics can be a life saver.

Hey, yes the vet was aware, although it wasn't our usual vet I did explain that she has had surgery and had two lots of long lasting antibiotics, although i didnt know what she had, the vet we just saw has also given her Baytril and recommended we took her back to our usual vet tomorrow.

Hey, yes the vet was aware, although it wasn't our usual vet I did explain that she has had surgery and had two lots of long lasting antibiotics, although i didnt know what she had, the vet we just saw has also given her Baytril and recommended we took her back to our usual vet tomorrow.

I would call the Vet back and ask these questions:

1- as my Rabbit has such acute diarrhoea should she not be having regular fluid therapy ? (Dehydration occurs VERY rapidly and must always be addressed promptly)

2-Given that my Rabbit has had TWO doses of a long acting antibiotic is Antibitic Induced Enteritis not a real possibility and does this not require Hospitalisation for intensive care ? ( Which should include fluids, medication to mop up bad gut bacteria and another medication (metronidazole) to try to kill off the bad bacteria, pain relief, syringe feeds, heat lamp/pad )

In all honesty I cannot think of a reason why a Rabbit presenting with acute, severe diarrhoea with a history of recent surgery and treatment with a long acting antibiotic would not be Hospitalised for intensive care.

I agree with Jane and think a second opinion from a rabbit savvy vet is needed.

I hope your bun is OK and gets the treatment she needs :wave:

Back