• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stair safety

Alvins mummy

Mama Doe
Did anyone teach their bunny to climb down the stairs?

Ruby has discovered them but she can't get down and now she seems to have given up trying.

T&F worked it out for themselves. Truffle doesn't like it so rarely bothers, but Fudge potter up and down relatively regularly.

Clover loved to run up them but took a good while to work up going down the but does it without thinking now

Doughnut lives downstairs but she did try once to go up the stairs but then fell when she tried to get down. I had to get the carrier for her to jump in and then took her down, she has never tried since.

I think some rabbits have learnt from others, so maybe Alvin could teach her!

Alvin has never been up more than one step. Roxy was the stair wizz, she used to love playing on them.

Layla has been going up and down and Ruby has tried but she kinda launched herself off and landed 3/4 the way down. Thankfully I was supervising to make sure she didn't fall down the rest. She keeps going up and not being able to get down. I guess it will just need practice.

Yes, I did with both of mine, but it's mainly going down which is the difficult bit. My stairs are a tad steep & narrow treaded.
Just started on the bottom step on & off then increased to 2 steps, giving a gentle nudge to encourage them to take a diagonal path down & gradually increased the number of steps, always there to catch them until they were completely safe & TBH a lot faster than I.:oops::lol:
The only prohibition now is I that don't let them use the stairs for 24 hours after a GA.

On the other hand my buns are quite big boys 3.3K & 3.8K.

Grayson races/springs up the stairs...must get a vid of him at some point, he can go down them to

Matilda is not a fan shes far to much of a princess, and demands to be carried lol she can go up the stairs, but not down!

my other bunnies used to all the time sounded like elephants charging up and down, ive not with my 2 now though, never since rosie got old and she fell back luckily i was there to catch her from doing any damage

my other bunnies used to all the time sounded like elephants charging up and down, ive not with my 2 now though, never since rosie got old and she fell back luckily i was there to catch her from doing any damage

My Bridge bun Thumper was just like that too. He sort of launched himslef upwards parallel to the stairs I I swear went up 3 at a time.
Although Benjie is a bigger bun he's just as fast but silent. Always gives me a head start until I'm about 4 from the top & then overtakes me.:lol:

Harry never needed teaching he thought they were the best things ever and did them two at a time- even when he got older and struggled with other things!

Ludo is more cautious, he's fine at the small flight (4 steps) but not so keep on the big staircase, although he can do them when he feels like it.:lol:

I think I'll try coaxing her down with some crunchies when my order arrives.

It's funny how some take to it and some show no interest.

My house is an upside down house in that main living room is upstairs for the views so bun lives upstairs. He refuses totally to even go down one stair for a crunchie. We also have big sliding doors onto a balcony and he won't go outside either even for a crunchie. I reckon its because he is worried he won't be allowed back in as he loves it inside so much!

Back