• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Discharge from Young Female Dutch

Firstly, may I begin by saying 'Hello', and 'Thank you' to any member of 'Rabbits United' who may be reading this post!

Secondly, I would like to say 'Thank you' in advance for any time, energy, or effort spent replying to this post!

However, my niece has recently become owned by two young female Dutch rabbits. . . Unfortunately, today, my niece has noticed one of the females has a discharge!

Therefore, I told her that I would not be overly concerned, providing the discharge is clear, thin/ watery, and odourless. . . However, to seek veterinarian advice if at all concerned!

Unfortunately, my niece has just informed me that the discharge is 'quite dark'. . . Therefore, I will be advising my niece to seek veterinarian advice/ to have the female examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible. . . However, I was wondering how concerned we should be?!

Thank you for your reply, Hele!

My niece has said that the discharge is coming 'from below'. . . If I know my neice as well as I think I do, I believe that my neice means from the rabbit's genitalia. . .

Are the rabbits spayed as I'm so sorry to have to say this, but this can be a common symptom of a reproductive cancer, and so, I would yes be very concerned. Really do hope she can be seen quickly, and that it turns out to not be anything so serious or sinister.

Thank you for your reply, RogerRabbit999!

However, considering both rabbits are very young (Approximately three months old), I believe that any concerns relating to cancer can be dismissed!

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, RogerRabbit999!

However, considering both rabbits are very young (Approximately three months old), I believe that any concerns relating to cancer can be dismissed!

I agree as well, but you hadn't mentioned their age. I guess most likely then is an urinary tract infection, which does still require urgent treatment so as to ensure a full recovery can be made, as this is a very abnormal symptom. Good luck, hope it all goes well at the vets.

Firstly, may I begin by saying 'Hello', and 'Thank you' to any member of 'Rabbits United' who may be reading this post!

Secondly, I would like to say 'Thank you' in advance for any time, energy, or effort spent replying to this post!

However, my niece has recently become owned by two young female Dutch rabbits. . . Unfortunately, today, my niece has noticed one of the females has a discharge!

Therefore, I told her that I would not be overly concerned, providing the discharge is clear, thin/ watery, and odourless. . . However, to seek veterinarian advice if at all concerned!

Unfortunately, my niece has just informed me that the discharge is 'quite dark'. . . Therefore, I will be advising my niece to seek veterinarian advice/ to have the female examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible. . . However, I was wondering how concerned we should be?!

Has the Rabbit been fed dandelion leaves, broccoli or kale ?

I'd suggest taking both bunnies along when she gets the check and confirming the other is female (it's very easy to missex young rabbits). Another possibility is it could be pregnancy related - as they can be fertile very young, although 3 months would be quite young for this.

The other thing to clarify is whether she's actually seen the 'discharge' on the rabbit or on the floor and is just assuming. If it's the later then I think Jane might have it - red urine rather than anything untoward.

Charlotte_Jordanna - Thank you for your wishes!

RogerRabbit999 - Thank you for your reply, and wishes!

Jack's-Jane - Thank you for your reply! However, I am not sure whether my niece has introduced either rabbit to fresh food. . . However, I believe that the rabbits have been allowed to explore the garden/ lawn, weather permitted?!

Tamsin - Thank you for your reply!

Regrettably, despite my advice to adopt/ purchase rabbits from either a reputable rescue, or breeder, my niece decided to purchase the rabbits from a well-known company. . . Therefore, when I found out the origins of the rabbits, the very first bit of advice I offered my niece was, that she may wish to consider taking the rabbits to a veterinarian, or find a experienced, knowledgeable individual to have the rabbits sexed!

However, I am now beginning to question, especially as the rabbits have recently been allowed access to the grass, that the 'discharge' is urine. . .

Charlotte_Jordanna - Thank you for your wishes!

RogerRabbit999 - Thank you for your reply, and wishes!

Jack's-Jane - Thank you for your reply! However, I am not sure whether my niece has introduced either rabbit to fresh food. . . However, I believe that the rabbits have been allowed to explore the garden/ lawn, weather permitted?!

Tamsin - Thank you for your reply!

Regrettably, despite my advice to adopt/ purchase rabbits from either a reputable rescue, or breeder, my niece decided to purchase the rabbits from a well-known company. . . Therefore, when I found out the origins of the rabbits, the very first bit of advice I offered my niece was, that she may wish to consider taking the rabbits to a veterinarian, or find a experienced, knowledgeable individual to have the rabbits sexed!

However, I am now beginning to question, especially as the rabbits have recently been allowed access to the grass, that the 'discharge' is urine. . .

It may be. Rabbit urine can be a very dark reddish brown after eating grass/dandelion leaves.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1803&aid=2839

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

I would advise your Niece to restrict grazing to a minimum initially. If neither Rabbit has had grass before (likely scenario given where they were bought) then eating too much grass straight away could cause bloat.

I do apologise for my late reply! However, life has been a bit hectic of late!

Thank you all for your replies!

However, unfortunately, my niece's rabbit died a few days after creating this thread!

I discovered that the discharge was in fact diarrhoea, most probably caused by my niece feeding her rabbits Iceberg lettuce - The individual who sold my niece the rabbits, told her that they can have lettuce!!!

However, I am not convinced that the Iceberg lettuce was the direct cause of death, rather a failure to thrive - Unlike my niece's other rabbit, who is the possible littermate to the rabbit in question, this rabbit did not appear to grow, or put on weight etc!

I'm so sorry to hear of bunny's passing.
Perhaps you niece could pop on and have a look at the advice and info that is available here?

Hoping her other bunny is allright xxxx

My niece is in her late teens, and an intelligent young woman, and these rabbits are/ were her first animal companions!

Evidently, my niece is somewhat ignorant/ naïve about rabbit welfare, but both rabbits were well-cared for, and very much loved - The remaining rabbit is continuing to thrive!

Please be assured that I am attempting to continue to educate my niece, but, obviously, I want my niece to feel free to contact me should she have any questions, queries, or concerns - At this moment in time, I am attempting to encourage her to consider adopting a neutered male rabbit, from a local rescue, to be a companion to her remaining female rabbit, once her remaining rabbit has been spayed!

Understandably, the premature loss of this rabbit has had quite an effect!

My niece is in her late teens, and an intelligent young woman, and these rabbits are/ were her first animal companions!

Evidently, my niece is somewhat ignorant/ naïve about rabbit welfare, but both rabbits were well-cared for, and very much loved - The remaining rabbit is continuing to thrive!

Please be assured that I am attempting to continue to educate my niece, but, obviously, I want my niece to feel free to contact me should she have any questions, queries, or concerns - At this moment in time, I am attempting to encourage her to consider adopting a neutered male rabbit, from a local rescue, to be a companion to her remaining female rabbit, once her remaining rabbit has been spayed!

Understandably, the premature loss of this rabbit has had quite an effect!

I am very sorry to hear about your niece's rabbit. Such a waste of life :cry: I do hope it may make her more aware about rabbit welfare. It could be that the rabbit was sick when she bought her and the lettuce and grazing exacerbated the problems.

I am very happy to hear you are trying to educate her. You seem to be going about it the right way. Is there any chance of getting her join up here or maybe to a facebook group that helps with rabbit care etc? Seeing others saying the same as you may make her realise that 1. You are right in what you are saying! And 2. That adopting a neutered buck is the way to go! :thumb:

I do hope she takes on board all of your advice and her remaining bun will do well. :)

Thank you for your reply, Vegan Bunny!

It could be that the rabbit was sick when she bought her and the lettuce and grazing exacerbated the problems.

I believe this to be the case!

I am very happy to hear you are trying to educate her. You seem to be going about it the right way. Is there any chance of getting her join up here or maybe to a facebook group that helps with rabbit care etc? Seeing others saying the same as you may make her realise that 1. You are right in what you are saying! And 2. That adopting a neutered buck is the way to go! :thumb:

To date, I have ensured that my niece is aware about vaccinations, neutering/ spaying, and flystrike, and I have recommended housing, and we have discussed diet (I have recommended that my niece visit a number of websites, including the RWAF website, for information on diet, and attempted to instill the message, 'If in doubt, leave it out')!

Lastly, I have informed my niece about how quickly a rabbit can succumb to illness. . . Therefore, should she have any concerns regarding the health of her remaining rabbit in the future, to take the rabbit to her veterinarian immediately!

However, I will suggest that my niece join the Rabbits United forum/ a rabbit forum, or group! :)

Thank you for your reply, Vegan Bunny!

I believe this to be the case!

To date, I have ensured that my niece is aware about vaccinations, neutering/ spaying, and flystrike, and I have recommended housing, and we have discussed diet (I have recommended that my niece visit a number of websites, including the RWAF website, for information on diet, and attempted to instill the message, 'If in doubt, leave it out')!

Lastly, I have informed my niece about how quickly a rabbit can succumb to illness. . . Therefore, should she have any concerns regarding the health of her remaining rabbit in the future, to take the rabbit to her veterinarian immediately!

However, I will suggest that my niece join the Rabbits United forum/ a rabbit forum, or group! :)

Sounds like she has a brilliant teacher! :thumb:

Back