• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those who buy 15kg readigrass or similar, how do you store it?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
http://www.equidiner.co.uk/GrazeOn_15kg/p928461_4304937.aspx like this, or another brand or something.

I'm finding that keeping it in the bag is a bit of a nightmare for me. I keep it in the bag in the garage which my mom and stepdad are very precious over. Every week or two I have to use a pickaxe (literally!) to loosen it up to transfer to two smaller boxes with lids and handles that I keep in the shed. However, it's a massive ordeal and it gets everywhere. I also find that the sharpish bits go under my nails into my nail bed which really hurts, yet if I wear gloves it goes everywhere as I have less precision.

Does anyone put theirs into a bin or similar, or any kind of storage where it fits well, even if you have to use two/three of them?

Hopefully there's something suitable for my situation now, but also for the future I'd like something I can transfer it into... so even if you don't find it makes less mess, it'd definitely be worth knowing about for the future :D

I put mine in a black bin. I keep the main bag in the garage then fill a black dustbin full and it lasts ages so I am not doing the messy bit every week.

I keep mine in the bag but I use my hands to gouge the clumps away. Sometimes I use a claw gardening tool as well.

I just keep the 15k bale in the shed but I agree, it can be a nightmare to get any out! I keep a small hand fork in there and break it up with that. I find that if I lever it out with the fork, it doesn't get under my fingernails too much but I do end up with green fingers :lol:.

I just keep the bag in the shed too, it's sooo hard to get out :lol: I churn a top layer up with a pitch fork end :shock: :lol:

I just keep the bag in the shed too, it's sooo hard to get out :lol: I churn a top layer up with a pitch fork end :shock: :lol:

I'm so glad it's not just me being feeble :lol:. Although I do find some bales are more compressed than others. Unfortunately, mine won't touch Just Grass or Graze On, which is much more free-flowing.

Thanks everyone, it's so glad to know you all have to hack away at it too - that it's not just me being a weakling :oops:! And yeah the dirty green fingers are not a good look :lol:!

I put mine in a black bin. I keep the main bag in the garage then fill a black dustbin full and it lasts ages so I am not doing the messy bit every week.

That's a good idea, thanks. I think I might look into getting a big clear box and putting a load into that, however I think my mom and stepdad would be rather unimpressed :lol:! Perhaps I should put it in a large bag that I can hang in the shed...

I'm so glad it's not just me being feeble :lol:. Although I do find some bales are more compressed than others. Unfortunately, mine won't touch Just Grass or Graze On, which is much more free-flowing.

Ooo! This is my first bale, so hopefully my second will be more loose! I haven't tried just grass or graze on, and I'm hesitant to buy a massive bale in case they don't like it! Hmm.

Back