• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Made an appt for Saffy to be PTS tmrw - is this the right thing?

LloydFerris

Warren Scout
Please help. As much input as possible is desperately needed.
I know this decision can only be mine, but the opinions of you all truly matter to me.
Saffy is approx 11 years old. In the last few months, her mobility and vision have been going and she's rapidly losing weight even though I have been syringe-feeding due to lack of appetite. She's been blind in one eye for a few months, and recently lost vision in the other eye as well. Her back legs are very weak and her mobility isn't great, but she does still get around on her own.
She's started with the head tilt, her eyes are starting to jitter back and forth, and she circles as though she is terribly confused.
I believe she is scared most of the time, and that makes me so sad.
We saw the vet yesterday (and have always at least once a month for tooth trims), and after asking her what she would do if Saffy was hers, she said she wouldn't wait more than a week to let her go. Saffy's problems aren't reversible.
Then, last night I was on the floor with her and was giving her ear rubs and she just melted. She was in heaven - light grinding and her eyes closed half way. I saw her happy, but is that enough?
Then, her bunny-loves Clover and Lloyd were grooming her and she melted with bliss again. I don't know what to do.

For me, with an animal like a rabbit who usually can't/won't convey things in the same way that a cat/dog can, I'd personally rather let them go too soon than too late. She may be okay for another few weeks or a month but it's possible that another thing might go wrong, something more serious even and then she might suffer. I'd personally rather let a bunny go while she's still happy enough to get love from her human and her friends than let her get to the stage that she was thoroughly miserable. Of course this is just my opinion, and I (or anyone else) certainly won't think less of you if you choose to continue for another few weeks or more.

It's such a hard decision to make.

With mine I have "known" it is the right time, they lose that spakle out of their eye. Such a difficult decision, but only you and your vet will be able to make that decision. xxx

What a dilemma .. you wouldn't want your bunny to suffer.....

all the best with your decision.... Your vet seems to a good one so I would listen to their advice

love
Fee x

Such a difficult decision for you. From what you've said it sounds as if it might be the right time - I try and think if I was her what would I want and I'd probably want to slip away gently after spending time with the people who loved me. If you think she still has some quality of life you could always just take it a day at a time though. Lots of vibes for you both.

Is Saffy being treated for anything, thinking particularly about E.cunniculi. Sorry if you've said previously.

If she's scared most of the time and hasn't eaten naturally for a while then it's probably the right decision.
So sorry for you, it's heart-breaking.
xx

Cant advise either way just know it`s such a difficult call to make. Whatever you decide will be the right thing for you and your bun. x

What a horrible situation. I think you would get the sense that shes ready by looking in her eyes and asking her. I know people are going to think this is a stupid thing to say but ask her, ask her to give you a sign.
If she is still able to find enjoyment in her life then maybe that is her way of continuing the fight or maybe it is her way of saying she is happy to go to the bridge? I cant say!
I know you will make the right choice for Saffy and whether that is to carry on or say goodbye, I dont know!

My heart has joined the thousand...

I let her go.
I don't know what else to say but thank you all so much for your replies. It means so much to me that I have everyone here to lean on and go to in my darkest times in bunny rescue.
I have love for all of you, I truly do.

Last edited:
It is the last and greatest act of love.

Doesn't make it any easier though and I am so very sorry :(

Binky free Saffy x

Aww I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: binky free Saffy. It is so hard but it's the kindest thing you can do when they're suffering

So sorry to hear this news. Binky free Beautiful Saffy.

Hugs for you too.

Fee xx

Back