• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could do with a bit of advice

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
I took on a bunny when my cousin could no longer have it (split up from his gf, had to move back in with his parent, bunny not allowed to come with him) and said either bun would stay with me or I would let him go to a good loving home. I have had a little interest in him, but on closer investigation they were all wanting him for breeding. I have no idea of his background, I know he has poor eyesight, there is no need at all to breed from him so I refused to part with him. He doesnt have the best set up, a 5x2 hutch with 4x5 run and regular free ranging. He's jabbed but not yet neutered (he had nothing to remove before winter, and winter went on forever so I didnt want him having an op then being outside in the cold). I now have the fund to get him neutered, but Im thinking maybe I could work a setup to just keep him and get him a buddy. I have a potential space of about 10x5, within which I could pop the hutch for a warm safe base. The only thing is from there they would be able to see my other pair, and I dont know if thats likely to upset a pairing if they live next to another pair. Would blocking it with a solid wood instead if mesh work? I cant keep him if I cant sort a proper setup for him, but I dont want him to go to a bad home, and with so many bunnies needing homes already, it just doesnt seem fair to them.

Would that setup be fair for another pair? I could fund the upkeep no problem, and I have a vet savings setup (work think Im awesome and have upped my hours, looking as secure as a job can be at the moment) so other than his initial neuter cost (which I have £500 saved for, in case soemthing goes bad, Im ever the pessimist) finances are sorted. I just worry that what I can offer is inadequate. Are there many rescues that would home within east anglia or from further afield to that standard? Of course regular free range time still applies, my bunnies take turns (garden is secured completely).

I know on here I will get honest opinions, because most people I know still thinks bunnies should live in a hutch and dont need company so theres not much point asking for their opinions.

Also, does anyone know what wood green animal shelter expect for accommodation? Just because our dog and one of my guinea pigs is from there, and they have been amazingly helpful with everything.

No advice about outdoor setups or East Anglia... but what about getting him insured at least 14 days before the op? That way if anything did go wrong then you wouldn't have to pay for most of it anyway. (It will probably be fine, but if you are that cautious insurance is an especially good idea.)

No advice about outdoor setups or East Anglia... but what about getting him insured at least 14 days before the op? That way if anything did go wrong then you wouldn't have to pay for most of it anyway. (It will probably be fine, but if you are that cautious insurance is an especially good idea.)

I have had bad experiences with insurers not paying out before with dogs and horses, so I tend to not have a pet unless I have a good safe pool for vet bills. I have to have a pretty hefty one for the horses, because even though theyre insured, chances are they wont pay out. We had a dog insured (when I was living with ym parents) that got cancer. The insurance wouldnt pay a penny.

Instead I get a bit overkill safe with my money, but at least I know that no matter what I can provide the treatment my pets need.

I previously had to rehome a pair that had terrible referred aggression. If they are alright with a single bun nearby though that would be a good sign. Have you considered bonding a trio/ quad with your existing pair? If they all get on then you won't have the worry of the referred aggression.

Back