• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trouble bonding

jeco

New Kit
Hi,
I rescued a male rabbit two weeks ago as a partner for my resident room female rabbit Luna. Both rabbits are neutered and about 7months old. Bonding them seemed to go pretty well at first I put them both out in a newly made 4x8 foot run and Luna chased Ra for a bit and there was a little fur pulling by both rabbits. The next couple of days Luna settled down and Ra kept trying to mount her but there was no real aggression. For the next two days after that they seemed to get on pretty well, happily sitting next to each other and going about their buissness. Since them Ra has started getting aggressive and terrtorial towards Luna. She will go towards him and put her head down to be groomed and hill go for her and if she is sitting he'll come up to her and nip and push her to move. This behaviour is constant and is occuring alongside lots of urine marking outside of the litter boxes. It doesn't feels like I'm getting anywhere, it's been two weeks and Luna's getting very nervous and on edge around Ra now.
At the moment Ra stays in a 6x4 foot cage in my room while Luna has free run of my room and has her own small cage with her stuff in. Not sure if this pairing will work, any advice?

You have given me the reason for your problem. Why, when they were getting along well, did you keep separating them and Luna has free range but Ra is caged. I think this is why he is acting this way towards her. You have unfortunately built up hostility between them and if Luna is free range she will have become territorial over that space so if you let Ra out she may be aggressive towards him or he may have to be rough with her to prove his dominance.

I think you will have to go back to basics in a neutral area but don't keep separating them. A caged rabbit won't like a rabbit to be free range in the same room either. Hope this helps you.

Back