• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I give him back to the RSPCA?

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Watch out guys, there's a moan coming!

I think I should give Teddy (now known in our house as Fat Bun - I know, he'll get a complex poor love) back to the RSPCA.

Because of all the rubbish that's happened over the past couple of months I've just reached a total mental block with the bonding (I'm also short on time, I'm always dashing across the country to visit my poor mum who starts chemo in a few weeks which will go on for 18 weeks).

I'm totally stuck. My nerves are in SHATTERS at the moment, everything seems to induce a panic attack.

The buns are currently separated when they're alone and can see each-other when we're home through two sets of bars (they fight through the bars if only one set).

We still switch them over every day but if they are down to one set of bars like when I'm feeding or cleaning out, I pick up Teddy and whisk him away before they've even had the chance to smell one another - I know I shouldn't do this if they're ever going to be friends but I'm just so scared of Little getting hurt. The last time I let them smell each other was two weeks ago and Little got a really bad bite on her mouth. I couldn't see any blood but it seemed to hurt her a lot.

I know I'm just being a coward, and that my last bond started this badly but we got there in the end.

The trouble is, last time around Big wanted to eat Little, but if he bit her or she was frightened she ran away and hid. Now if she's frightened she fights. I don't know how aggressive normal bun fighting is but she seems to fight like a wildcat, tumbling over and over, ripping out so much fur in mere seconds.

I know this sounds so selfish but I don't know if I'm up to this. My OH has tried the 'putting them in a bucket' trick, and the don't fight there (well they can't), but I can't bring myself to go to the next stage.

God I sound a right drip.

What do people think I should do, keep on or give him back? I'm completely head over heels in love with him but I don't want him to be miserable. :cry:

(Please, don't tell me off anyone, I'm having a really rotten time at the moment :cry::cry: )

Can you see if someone will bond for you if you offer a donation to a rescue for their efforts, or pay them?

Are either of the bunnies actually miserable?

Wondering if you may be putting yourself under too much pressure to get them bonded at a time when you have more than enough to worry about already. Perhaps they could wait a while. They are probably getting more attention from you as it is than a huge rescue would have time to give them.

Can you see if someone will bond for you if you offer a donation to a rescue for their efforts, or pay them?

That sounds a good idea :thumb: You're having such a difficult time at the moment and so sorry about your mum, but if you have really fallen in love with 'fat bun', then sending him back is only going to upset you and make you feel worse, and then you will probably start to worry about your other bun being on her own, which is just going to be yet another concern. I really do hope you can get something sorted and it all works out. Must be about time for something good to happen to you.

Depending on how well the buns travel I could bond for you - but I do charge as my finances are dire at the moment. Would be happy to collect them too if you covered the petrol costs.

I only bond and board for RU members. I had come to a halt because of Furby being so poorly but am going to start again on Sunday (with two of my own buns).

Oh dear, Schtoffen, sounds like a very difficult decision. :(

I've had a similarly bad attempt at bonding recently and found it stressful enough without all the other stuff you've got going on.

Hope you manage to make a decision - you just need to work out what's right for you.

Sending vibes :wave:

Thanks for your support guys.

I didn't really know bonding services existed?? Do you think I should contact rescues around here and ask if they do it? Maybe I should do a shout out on RU instead?

No neither is miserable, but Fat Bun/Teddy is such a nervous bun. He's very gradually getting a tiny bit braver...day by day.

But he's definitely going to be 'bun in charge' and until Little accepts that nothing will happen.

Thanks for your support guys.

I didn't really know bonding services existed?? Do you think I should contact rescues around here and ask if they do it? Maybe I should do a shout out on RU instead?

No neither is miserable, but Fat Bun/Teddy is such a nervous bun. He's very gradually getting a tiny bit braver...day by day.

But he's definitely going to be 'bun in charge' and until Little accepts that nothing will happen.

Did you see Rhianna's post?

Depending on how well the buns travel I could bond for you - but I do charge as my finances are dire at the moment. Would be happy to collect them too if you covered the petrol costs.

I only bond and board for RU members. I had come to a halt because of Furby being so poorly but am going to start again on Sunday (with two of my own buns).

Hi!

I'd be really interested in this if you think you can handle them?? I'm skint too but I'm desperate. I'm in Poole in Dorset and I don't drive so I'd have to pay you petrol money too but that's cool. Please could you PM me with your rates, mileage and info about how long you've kept bunnies etc Thank you :love:

I'm trying to think of which RU bunnies I have bonded but have forgotten some of them. I know I tried Hovis and Marnie which was my only unsuccessful bond - apart from Hovis and my trio (see the common denominator there!) and then Marnie and Maurice which went fine.

I also bonded for a member in Wokingham - I collected and delivered for petrol money too that time - but I can't remember her user name:oops: The buns were called Miss E and Bin Kee.

I'll PM you my details and you can have a think!

Found the old threads:-

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Bin-Kee-and-Miss-E&highlight=Rhianna+bonding

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...oday-s-photos-added&highlight=Rhianna+bonding

Sue was my own bun who I bonded with a trio after her partner Florence had to go to the Bridge due to an inoperable tumour.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...g-Sue-has-commenced&highlight=Rhianna+bonding

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of which RU bunnies I have bonded but have forgotten some of them. I know I tried Hovis and Marnie which was my only unsuccessful bond - apart from Hovis and my trio (see the common denominator there!) and then Marnie and Maurice which went fine.

I also bonded for a member in Wokingham - I collected and delivered for petrol money too that time - but I can't remember her user name:oops: The buns were called Miss E and Bin Kee.

I'll PM you my details and you can have a think!

Found the old threads:-

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Bin-Kee-and-Miss-E&highlight=Rhianna+bonding

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...oday-s-photos-added&highlight=Rhianna+bonding

Sue was my own bun who I bonded with a trio after her partner Florence had to go to the Bridge due to an inoperable tumour.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...g-Sue-has-commenced&highlight=Rhianna+bonding

I can't remember who else you've bonded for....but I know there have been several.

Maurice and moomoo are so loved up....even if she is the naughtiest bunny :oops:

Karen is really good at adapting to what individual buns need....when one way didn't work she found another which did.

I don't trust many people with my buns...but do Karen.

I can't remember who else you've bonded for....but I know there have been several.

Maurice and moomoo are so loved up....even if she is the naughtiest bunny :oops:

Karen is really good at adapting to what individual buns need....when one way didn't work she found another which did.

Karen did a bonding for a couple who asked me for help, but for the life of me I can't remember the names of the rabbits only that the owners name was Ollie :?

This is very encouraging but do you think you'd want to take them on? (Also is Rhianna Karen? Confused lol)

The only contact they've had is three 'bucket sessions' attempted humping but no bites, though my OH was holding on to them...and one face to face which was the huge fights.

I've seen the introducing pen you have....if they were in there they'd be trying to fight through the bars :cry:

Do you think there's any hope?

This is very encouraging but do you think you'd want to take them on? (Also is Rhianna Karen? Confused lol)

The only contact they've had is three 'bucket sessions' attempted humping but no bites, though my OH was holding on to them...and one face to face which was the huge fights.

I've seen the introducing pen you have....if they were in there they'd be trying to fight through the bars :cry:

Do you think there's any hope?

I liike a challenge - and have bonded buns before where their owners had struggled and had to give up. I think sometimes it is easier for a stranger to do it as the buns are on completely neutral territory with an unknown person caring for them. One of the buns I bonded wasn't able to be handled but by the time said bun was reunited with owner cuddles were on the menu :):)

Liz - I think the buns were called Fluffsky and Bunsky but I can't remember the couples' name:oops:

Yes, my real name is Karen - which I hate!

Thank you so much - and yes, Marnie is THE naughiest bunny - but very loveable too. She is the only bun who has ever given me loving licks:love:

A little note on fighting via bars. Mr Snowdrop and Poppy fought through the bars but it was the bars they didn't like. They wanted to meet properly! Not all bunnies are the same I know xx

Back