• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Break through with Benjie.

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you know that Benjie was found trying to cross a busy road in the dark at rush hour. He's jet black!! He came here rather than a rescue when no one wanted him, & his finder couldn't keep him.
Obviously something had terrified him in his early life because although he is the most affectionate bunny imaginable, he starts at every noise & unless I'm with him, hides away in what I call his pseudowarren.

He's had a terrible time since a fox built it's earth under the garden shed, combined with the house shaking from nearby building work. Earlier this week he had additional fears from his 1st. experience of thunder, & lashing rain against the window as well. It's been causing gut slow down & fur wear on his feet because he can't relax & stretch out.

Last night he listened to me for the 1st. time when I reassured him that various noises were OK & he was safe. :D:D:D He just listened & then carried on with what he was doing, rather than run into hiding. He's even OK with my tummy rumbles.

I just feel so proud of him, & so moved by the amount of trust he places in me.:love::love::love:

Some of you know that Benjie was found trying to cross a busy road in the dark at rush hour. He's jet black!! He came here rather than a rescue when no one wanted him, & his finder couldn't keep him.
Obviously something had terrified him in his early life because although he is the most affectionate bunny imaginable, he starts at every noise & unless I'm with him, hides away in what I call his pseudowarren.

He's had a terrible time since a fox built it's earth under the garden shed, combined with the house shaking from nearby building work. Earlier this week he had additional fears from his 1st. experience of thunder, & lashing rain against the window as well. It's been causing gut slow down & fur wear on his feet because he can't relax & stretch out.

Last night he listened to me for the 1st. time when I reassured him that various noises were OK & he was safe. :D:D:D He just listened & then carried on with what he was doing, rather than run into hiding. He's even OK with my tummy rumbles.

I just feel so proud of him, & so moved by the amount of trust he places in me.:love::love::love:

Judy, knowing the amount of time you spend building a bond with him I am thrilled to hear this. What a wonderful reward for all of your effort and it's great to know Benjie is feeling more settled at last.:love::love:

Thank you so much for your replies everyone.
I think it was hard for Benjie because as soon as he arrived I had to do "nasty things" to him to treat his abscesses & snuffles. He couldn't possibly understand that I was helping him, yet he's always been incredibly affectionate. It's as if his 1st. experience of me was "she's usually OK but sometimes she isn't".

His fears posed a big problem to me because they're part of normal wildie behaviour. A rustling sound, or sudden crack means a predator is stalking them = "run to safety underground, before you end up as something's dinner." How can they be expected to understand that locked doors & closed windows protect them? Neither are in their normal environment. I think of how I would react if I was on my own in a huge field & a pack of hungry lions was on the hunt, & some "Alien" had put an invisable force field round me, & kept telling me I was fine.
I'd be so scared I don't think I'd even hear the reassurance let alone believe it.

He eventually found his "burrow", a space under my bed, between the wall & cardboard boxes where I store his dry tree leaf forage. Although he's been too frightened to come out to eat on his own, bless him, he always comes out to use his litter tray. Since I've had to sleep on the floor, I've recently found him lying stretched out beside me in the morning. :love:
Night time is so funny. While I sort out my blankets, he sorts out his burrow making minor adjustments to the cardboard boxes, & checks he can run round them! Then we both have a big cuddle.

Awww!! :love: I'd love to sleep next to my bunnies :love:

Thank you so much for your replies everyone.
I think it was hard for Benjie because as soon as he arrived I had to do "nasty things" to him to treat his abscesses & snuffles. He couldn't possibly understand that I was helping him, yet he's always been incredibly affectionate. It's as if his 1st. experience of me was "she's usually OK but sometimes she isn't".

His fears posed a big problem to me because they're part of normal wildie behaviour. A rustling sound, or sudden crack means a predator is stalking them = "run to safety underground, before you end up as something's dinner." How can they be expected to understand that locked doors & closed windows protect them? Neither are in their normal environment. I think of how I would react if I was on my own in a huge field & a pack of hungry lions was on the hunt, & some "Alien" had put an invisable force field round me, & kept telling me I was fine.
I'd be so scared I don't think I'd even hear the reassurance let alone believe it.

He eventually found his "burrow", a space under my bed, between the wall & cardboard boxes where I store his dry tree leaf forage. Although he's been too frightened to come out to eat on his own, bless him, he always comes out to use his litter tray. Since I've had to sleep on the floor, I've recently found him lying stretched out beside me in the morning. :love:
Night time is so funny. While I sort out my blankets, he sorts out his burrow making minor adjustments to the cardboard boxes, & checks he can run round them! Then we both have a big cuddle.

Awww:love::love::love::love: lovely story about a lovely bunny. I can just picture you both getting ready for bed:thumb:

Back