• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheapest place to buy recovery food

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
As above really , looking for the cheapest place even if I have to buy it in bulk . Nena is currently on science selective but I wouldn't mind trying oxbow ones ( or any others if they exist ) if they're good and also cheaper.

(Nena has ongoing abscess problems that will reoccur . We're trying to get the weight back on her so I need to continue with the critical care for a while)

I think this works out to be the cheapest , does anyone know of any better offers ? http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supplies-rabbit-food-c-649_650/supreme-science-recovery-500g-p-5642

In all honesty, I haven't used recovery food for a very long time - I make my own, by just mushing up pellets in warm water and using fibreplex :)

In all honesty, I haven't used recovery food for a very long time - I make my own, by just mushing up pellets in warm water and using fibreplex :)

That sounds interesting ! How much fibreplex do you use to roughly how many pellets ? Seems like I can get a 15ml syringe for as low as £6 , and they might be covered by my insurance , so it might work out okay price wise depending on how much you use ? I have plenty of pellets and they're dirt cheap really !

That sounds interesting ! How much fibreplex do you use to roughly how many pellets ? Seems like I can get a 15ml syringe for as low as £6 , and they might be covered by my insurance , so it might work out okay price wise depending on how much you use ? I have plenty of pellets and they're dirt cheap really !

It may not work for everybun, this was just our treatment for Ginger, as she was getting sick so often and we came up with it.

I mash ~10 pellets (SS Adult & Mature mixed) up with luke warm water, just by eye to get a decent consistency. Easy to make up and you can just syringe it up and push it in - sometimes helps to cut off the end of the syringe but leave the hole the same size ;)

Then we give fibreplex after that - fortunately, Ginger loves it, but when she's actually poorly, we just push it behind the teeth as normal and push in a few ml at a time and let her chew it.

Does that help?

I got my Ss recovery sachets from pet planet actually :)
Worked out at about £1.50 s sachets or something with a syringe in there as well.
It was on offer though, not sure if it still is.

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately none of them are cheaper, except for the viovet one and there's not much in it. I'm not too worried about how easy it is to syringe as Nena eats it straight from a bowl if I mix it with babyfood, so I'm going to go with the same one for now. If I ever need to syringe I'll go for the fine grind one :D

It may not work for everybun, this was just our treatment for Ginger, as she was getting sick so often and we came up with it.

I mash ~10 pellets (SS Adult & Mature mixed) up with luke warm water, just by eye to get a decent consistency. Easy to make up and you can just syringe it up and push it in - sometimes helps to cut off the end of the syringe but leave the hole the same size ;)

Then we give fibreplex after that - fortunately, Ginger loves it, but when she's actually poorly, we just push it behind the teeth as normal and push in a few ml at a time and let her chew it.

Does that help?

It certainly does sound very interesting. I'll definitely speak to my vet about it. If I can get fibreplex on my insurance it'll work out a million times cheaper. I'm not too worried about consistency as Nena eats the recovery food & ellas kitchen baby food up off a bowl, so at the moment I don't need to syringe. Definitely a good option to consider if she ever stops eating it properly and requires syringing, thanks!

If she's eating from a bowl ie. just needs food that's softened then I wouldn't bother with the recovery powder. Just soak and smush her normal pellets. You can then add anything you like in with that - pureed apple, carrot etc. or even very finely chopped grass/hay.

If she's eating from a bowl ie. just needs food that's softened then I wouldn't bother with the recovery powder. Just soak and smush her normal pellets. You can then add anything you like in with that - pureed apple, carrot etc. or even very finely chopped grass/hay.

Thank you for your suggestion, I tried this last night and she loves it! I pureed 2 raw carrots and 2 raw apples with a load of pellets softened in boiling water. It ended up quite watery so I've added a cupful of oats which I know help skinny bunnies put on weight. I think I'll still use some recovery food but try to aim to feed her more of this as it's much cheaper, especially factoring in the baby food!

Back