• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving birth

Markgy

New Kit
Ok I'm a bit worried about my second rabbit, firstly I have three rabbits, two female one male, the youngest female gave birth last wee we only found them yesterday and are about a week old, the second female who is four years old gave birth today to three kits, the thing is she is eating and drinking loads but she's just sat in her cage shaking all the time, I've given her some milk as a vet told me it could be a deficiency, but does anyone know if its normal for rabbits to shake after giving birth, it's as if she's freezing cold? Anyone help thanks

What sort of milk? Rabbit's can't digest cows milk and it can make them sick - if your vet advised that then you need a new vet!

Shaking is not normal, but it's good that she's still eating/drinking. How long ago did she give birth? I think she probably needs to see a vet. If she needs treatment you can feed the kits from the other mum, hold her in a sitting position and hold the kits to her in position to feed.

What sort of milk? Rabbit's can't digest cows milk and it can make them sick - if your vet advised that then you need a new vet!

Shaking is not normal, but it's good that she's still eating/drinking. How long ago did she give birth? I think she probably needs to see a vet. If she needs treatment you can feed the kits from the other mum, hold her in a sitting position and hold the kits to her in position to feed.

Ok I went in this morning and she had had two more babies but both were dead, the other three don't look like they have fed so goin to try the other mother who has nine of her own already

I would suggest you get her checked over by a vet ASAP and arrange for her to be neutered as soon as she's finished nursing.

I would suggest you get her checked over by a vet ASAP and arrange for her to be neutered as soon as she's finished nursing.

We don't think she is nursing, how long is it before the mother start? Babies were born approx 2pm yesterday, babies have big rounded belies but mothers teats not wet and on examination seem dry

did you get her to the vet x

Taking her in the morning with the kits, spoke to the emergency vet and he's wasn't to concerned, but seeing as the bellies are full they must have been fed, and he said they normally only feed once in the first 24 hrs as well, so will see tomorrow

Taking her in the morning with the kits, spoke to the emergency vet and he's wasn't to concerned, but seeing as the bellies are full they must have been fed, and he said they normally only feed once in the first 24 hrs as well, so will see tomorrow

Wasn't the vet concerned about the mother?

i found my rabbit like this shivering as if he was cold only a few days ago and rushed him straight to the vet and they could count his heart beats which is usually impossible with rabbits they kept him and got him better, they think he was suffering with shock for what ever reason.

so your rabbit could also be suffering from shock she is quite old to having a first litter sometimes the birth canal hardens but what ever it is she is very poorly and every second counts so it she were mine i would be at the vets right now...

Back