• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any tips for cleaning out gunky eyes?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
So Archie has an abscess under his eye, we thought it was a tooth root abscess, but its started to ooze vast amounts of gunk into his eye.

I'm cleaning it with water at the minute but its sealing shut again within a few hours. Is there anything more I can do to keep it clear?

He is in on Monday for GA to investigate further but till then what can I do!

It will need bathing several times a day with cooled boiled water

Flushing the pus out using some artificial tears may also help. You can buy them OTC at a Pharmacy.

Is he on both systemic and topical abx ?

Ok so I'll just need to keep on top of the cleaning. Thank you. Will look for some artificial tears too.

He is on "just" baytril and fucithalmic at the moment as the first vet I saw wasn't going to treat the actual abscess - just wait and see..... A second opinion from my usual vet was the same. Went back today and saw another vet who is going to do the exploratory work. At least we'll know what it is we are dealing with next.

My vet used to say with Harry (though Jane may know better she's far more experienced!) to try to keep the fur underneath the eye as dry as possible but not to rub and irritate it. So to blot it dry, not rub, as gently as possible with a soft tissue or something once you'd finished with the fucithalmic etc as otherwise if the fur and skin is wet all the time you can get skin problems.

I'm talking about underneath the sore bit, not the actual sore bit itself! :wave:

Back