• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fur and Feather

katie88

Mama Doe
Does anyone know anything about this? A quick google search has told me it's a magazine that is largely about keeping rabbits but that's all I know.

I have tickets for the devon county show on Saturday and have never been before so don't know what to expect. But there is a stand for 'fur and feather'. I basically want to know if it's about genuine rabbit care and therefore a stand I might want to visit, or whether it's about breeding/showing, in which case a stand I might want to avoid?

Fur & feather is a magazine, but it's quite focused around the breeding/showing side of rabbits (and other small furry/feathered animals) so if you don't want anything to do with that then avoid it. They may have care information etc. too but it will include breeding/showing as well.

as tamsin as mentioned its primarily based on breeding/showing, do you get any other bunny related magazine like rabbiting on via the rwaf or bunnymad magazine from bunnycreations, i fnot id recommened these highly for bunnyloving owners :wave:

Thanks for the replies! Yes I get bunny mad magazine. The main thing I was wondering was if there's likely to be rabbits in teeny cages at the show, in which case I'd deliberately avoid the stand. But if it's likely to be a stand that promotes proper rabbit welfare then I'd like to go and see it. Think I'll avoid it based on what you've both said. Thank you.

Don't bother, even when I used to exhibit I found them quite dull, half of it is just show results and the rest mainly breeding/showing articles, you get the odd good one but for someone who isn't an exhibitor it's definitely not worth the price

Hi from a fellow Devon RU-er! :wave:

I often go to Devon County show and there is a large-ish rabbit tent - and a guinea pig tent. I'm assuming this is the Fur and Feather section as I've never seen a separate stand for them.

There are lots of rabbits in small cages for the day, and quite a few being sold to show visitors at one end of the tent. The rabbits are at table level rather than close to the ground, and are handled inside the square of cages, where there is a large showing table. However, the tent is very busy and as far as I remember dogs are allowed in too. The rabbits have hay and bedding and things, but this set up is down to individual owners obviously.

If I'm at the show I usually go into the tent, and have never seen any rabbits that looked 'frightened' as such (I guess they are used to a 'show' environment), but there doesn't seem to be much control over buying/selling, and if you think that what I have described would upset/annoy you, it could well be a good one to avoid....

Enjoy the rest of the show anyway - wish I was going :)

Shula thanks so much that's really helpful! I won't make a special effort to seek the tent out in that case. Thank you :)

Back