• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth root abscess treatment questions.

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I wondered what people with tooth root abscesses have been prescribed for their bunny.

Nena's is right at the back of her mouth and the affected tooth is growing very deeply, so it's going to be very very hard to remove it. The plan of action is to try to get it smaller to the point where it's almost gone and then see what to do from there really. I'm aware it's likely to reoccur without removing the tooth. It's still very early days so we're working on getting it down before the vet makes a plan of action really.

At the moment Nena is on depocillin injections every 48 hours. Has anyone with tooth root abscesses been prescribed a more regular dosage, or is this normal?

The baytril (0.8ml twice a day) seems good to me, I think?

I'm going to ask about having metronidazole as previous forum posts I've found seem to recommend these 3 together as an effective treatment. I've found that it can be given orally or injected - it'd be really interesting to know whether your vet gave you oral or injectable metronidazole for abscesses. Also, what kind of schedule you were given for this.

She's on metacam (0.8ml only every 24 hours though). She doesn't seem to be in pain and the ulcer on her cheek (from being swollen because of the abscess) has gone down a lot. I would like to get her on metacam every 12 hours to ensure she's not getting any pain in the night (we give the metacam in the morning), however it's really difficult to push the vet if I'm not sure she's in pain. She eats fine at whatever time of the day, there's no difference in her behaviour either... so I feel I might be causing a fuss for no reason if I push for 12 hourly metacam. Again, it'd be interesting to know what pain relief your abscess bunny has been prescribed?

Also, zantac/cisapride was recommended in the original forum post to support appetite when buns are on all 3 antibiotics. Zantac seems somewhat easier as it doesn't have to be given BEFORE a meal, and I can see that by giving cisapride it'd take up an extra hour or two per day than this medication regime is already taking up, so zantac seems better. Zantac appears to be injectable or oral - what were you prescribed and how often do you need to give it?

Sorry for all the questions :lol:

Last edited:
Hi, we are in the tooth root infection loop. After the first lump appeared we had it removed and the found his jaw had infection too.They put in beads. 3 weeks later another appeared. I asked about tooth root but was told there was no problem. We moved vets then as I wanted someone elses opinion. None of which were rabbit savvy. New vet looked at the x ray and said it was defo an infection in the tooth. She sent all the details off to a rabbit savvy vet who has told us hes jaw is so deformed it was highly likely to shatter if we remove the tooth. He is now 0.2 depocillin every 2 days and has been for 6 weeks. He's on it for 6 month and then we are going to see if it's done anything. He was on pro biotic but refused to eat it and its not effected him not having it. Hes not on any pain relief. He's just as he's always been if not happier with all the attention he gets on injection day. Just has a lump under his jaw tho but its not grown xxx

Hi, we are in the tooth root infection loop. After the first lump appeared we had it removed and the found his jaw had infection too.They put in beads. 3 weeks later another appeared. I asked about tooth root but was told there was no problem. We moved vets then as I wanted someone elses opinion. None of which were rabbit savvy. New vet looked at the x ray and said it was defo an infection in the tooth. She sent all the details off to a rabbit savvy vet who has told us hes jaw is so deformed it was highly likely to shatter if we remove the tooth. He is now 0.2 depocillin every 2 days and has been for 6 weeks. He's on it for 6 month and then we are going to see if it's done anything. He was on pro biotic but refused to eat it and its not effected him not having it. Hes not on any pain relief. He's just as he's always been if not happier with all the attention he gets on injection day. Just has a lump under his jaw tho but its not grown xxx

Thank you , it's good to know depocillin every 2 days seems to be a good treatment plan . Awh bless him , it's horrible when the abscess is so deep that its going to be very hard to remove isn't it :( I think our vets have the same idea - get it smaller and then continue with the depocillin long term to hopefully keep it at bay !

There seems to be a lot of people saying their bunnies don't want to take their probiotics, what a pain :lol:! I think I'll only really ask about that if we get her on metronidazole too , otherwise ill trust my vets judgement - I don't want to be too pushy !

I wish everything could be injected - syringe feeding is a bit of a nightmare ... Nena is very good but it takes up 30-40 mins of mine and my moms time twice a day as we also encourage her to eat pellets (snapped in half!) and recovery food etc . Hopefully when she puts on more weight we can just syringe feed instead of watching her eat . It's so time consuming !

When Charlie was on penicillin that was also every other day.

He's now on amikacin following bacterial results. I'm not an expert but i believe this has been really helpful in letting us know what we're up against. Charlie had the offending teeth removed but bacteriology showed nothing had a great chance at working. Amikacin ws our best bet but it seems to hold it at bay rather than improve anything...

But it has helped me to decide no more surgery- his jaw has filled up again and he has another at the base of his ear (another disaster mouth here)

He's happy though. We were reducing metacam to min effective dose twice daily with plan to make that once daily. We upped it when he needed it but are back at min twice daily now and i think that could come down again

I'm amazed by how unfazed he is really

Sending vibes x

Back