• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best anti-flystrike stuff?

Vita

Mama Doe
And are there any new products?

What's current thinking re. whether they should be put on healthy rabbits, or just those who tend to get mucky bums?

Personally I have never as yet used any type on my Rabbits. Even those who had mobility issues. That is not to say that I never would, but I would not use any on a 'healthy' Rabbit. The chemicals really are nasty and they are no substitute for good husbandry.

I clean my Rabbits out daily, I use fly strips and I am very vigilant re overall cleanliness of all Rabbits. Whether I have just been lucky not to have ever encountered a case of flystrike in the last 15 years I dont know. Perhaps my thinking about the use of things like Rearguard might be different if I had. But at the moment I do not feel it to be appropriate to use heavy duty chemicals on my Rabbits as a matter of 'routine'

I am sure there must be a more concise way of saying all that !!

Personally I have never as yet used any type on my Rabbits. Even those who had mobility issues. That is not to say that I never would, but I would not use any on a 'healthy' Rabbit. The chemicals really are nasty and they are no substitute for good husbandry.

I clean my Rabbits out daily, I use fly strips and I am very vigilant re overall cleanliness of all Rabbits. Whether I have just been lucky not to have ever encountered a case of flystrike in the last 15 years I dont know. Perhaps my thinking about the use of things like Rearguard might be different if I had. But at the moment I do not feel it to be appropriate to use heavy duty chemicals on my Rabbits as a matter of 'routine'

I am sure there must be a more concise way of saying all that !!

Nail-on-the-head as usual J-J.
I've only ever used it on one poorly bunny and I've had rabbits for 14 yrs.

as jane has said on healthy buns, no, just make sure they have clean home, enviroment and check bottoms ends daily make sure they arent sticky to attract flies

Back