• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anybody know what this could possibly be?

Hello!
I am worried about my little buck.
He's currently uneutured and I have just noticed that in his cage and the surrounding area's seem to be covered in little specks of what appears to be blood?
I've checked him over and over and he is otherwise healthy and I am pretty much confused here.

He is my first buck and he's definitely been a lot more frisker than he usually is lately which is to be expected.

He gets the nuggets so it can't be dye from any of the food he eats or veg.
Also it can't be dye from anything in his cage like a wood chew or anything. He couldn't have cut himself in any way.

Any ideas? :S

Do you feed dandelions at all?
That can sometimes make the wee funny happened with my bun angel.

Try taking a pic of the specks and maybe someone will know if it could be something diet related, it could just be from him flicking his feet after a pee. :)

Try taking a pic of the specks and maybe someone will know if it could be something diet related, it could just be from him flicking his feet after a pee. :)

This! Or maybe where he is spraying his wee. As natsusakura said, dandelions and certain veggies turn their pee really dark red.
Is that your buck in the pics on your signature? I must say that is the most gorgeous rabbit I think I've ever seen!

it could be wee as it turns red sometimes depending on what is fed - dandelions, carrot etc.

have you checked his nails? sometimes if they catch them, that can cause specks of blood.

i would go to the vets just to be on the safe side, just incase it is coming from inside his mouth or something. if it's tiny specks then it might be unlikely but worth checking for peace of mind. :wave:

Just an idea, but do you think it may be from his mouth? I had a similar incident once and when I took my bun to the vets, when he looked inside his mouth it was coming from there, and he needed a dental. Very scary though isn't it and when you can't see an obvious cause.

Could you perhaps provide a picture for us? (I feel weird asking that!) Something that looks like blood might be just wee/wee spray and it'd help us identify the cause more easily!

Hello!
You know that's funny you should say that because my boyfriend gave him a handful of dandelions and it's just been ever since he's had them I believe. I never knew that they could cause red wee either! :shock:

Here's a photo

007.jpg

it could be wee as it turns red sometimes depending on what is fed - dandelions, carrot etc.

have you checked his nails? sometimes if they catch them, that can cause specks of blood.

i would go to the vets just to be on the safe side, just incase it is coming from inside his mouth or something. if it's tiny specks then it might be unlikely but worth checking for peace of mind. :wave:

Hello! :wave:
My boyfriend did feed him a handful of dandelions out the garden recently and I have just come to learn that it can actually cause red wee!

His nails were recently clipped. I thought it might have been from his mouth. I did check though. I'd be more worried if he stopped eating, drinking etc.

Like you said it is still playing on my mind and I have him booked in for a check up on Monday just to be sure! :)

This! Or maybe where he is spraying his wee. As natsusakura said, dandelions and certain veggies turn their pee really dark red.
Is that your buck in the pics on your signature? I must say that is the most gorgeous rabbit I think I've ever seen!

Hello there! :wave:
Yeah he does spray quite a bit which is to be expected. He normally sprays into his potty so that way I can normally keep an eye on things, but as I said on my previous post I did allow my boyfriend to give him a handful of dandelions and I have just learned that they can cause red wee!
I still have him booked into the vets for Monday just to be on the safe side. He appears to be his normal binky self which is great! :D

Yeah that's him! Thank you very much! :) He's a wee horror since he's still not neutered, but I love him! :love:
By the way your DP is gorgeous! Very relaxed and happy bunny it appears! :D

You've got a vet app anyway which is good, :)
Id get them to check it out as it looks different from what I was expecting.
I'm sure hell be fine but better to be safe than sorry, the vet may ask for a wee sample just to rule out blood
What age is your wee man?
He is lovely :love:

That looks very dark. It's been a while since I had bunnies, but I remember a more dark orange colour from pigments in certain foods, not red. Other will be more expert than me though!

You've got a vet app anyway which is good, :)
Id get them to check it out as it looks different from what I was expecting.
I'm sure hell be fine but better to be safe than sorry, the vet may ask for a wee sample just to rule out blood
What age is your wee man?
He is lovely :love:

Yeah, better to be on the safe side! Keeping an extra close on eye on him just in case. He's out running around being his usual daft self at the moment :lol:

He's not long turned 3 and thank you very much! :)

Hello there! :wave:
Yeah he does spray quite a bit which is to be expected. He normally sprays into his potty so that way I can normally keep an eye on things, but as I said on my previous post I did allow my boyfriend to give him a handful of dandelions and I have just learned that they can cause red wee!
I still have him booked into the vets for Monday just to be on the safe side. He appears to be his normal binky self which is great! :D

Yeah that's him! Thank you very much! :) He's a wee horror since he's still not neutered, but I love him! :love:
By the way your DP is gorgeous! Very relaxed and happy bunny it appears! :D

What does DP mean lol? I'm assuming it had seething to do with the picture of Delta though. Yeh she is pretty chilled out... When she wants to be :lol:

Back