• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skin / Fur mites

Delta

Warren Scout
I have 3 guineas that are about to go to the vets as im sure one at least has some sort of mite.

Does anyone know if these can be passed into rabbits / humans? Or are they all animal specific?

I think they could be passed onto the buns but only if the piggies are really close to them, or if its been caught through the hay or something.
Animal fleas etc don't tend to like human blood, so they bite but won't stay on you.

Are the piggies itchy?

One is then is and i'm sure she's losing fur behind her ears but i'm not sure if it's always been like that coz have only had her a week. Guineas aren't near the rabbit but could I transfer mites to her after stroking the Guineas? x

It would depend on what mite it was, pop guinea to vets and see and they'll be able to give advice depending on what is causing the problem :)

Who has hair loss behind the ears? Bunny or piggie? Piggies are usually a bit bald behind the ears.

Are the piggies scratching? Have you looked through the fur? Any scaly flakes? Moving dandruff??

I'm not sure about bunnies transferring to humans..we have our own mites "Scabies".Though I think dog scabies etc when being treated humans have to wear gloves etc.

It's the Guineas that have bald patches behind the ear. I've never kept Guinea pigs so not sure what's normal. I've seen her scratching a couple of times. Can't see any flakes and wouldn't say the skin looks inflamed. Have felt a couple of tiny scabs near her bottom but no hair loss there. She was only introduced to our other 2 Guineas last week and it wasn't exactly a happy bond so not sure if she's had a couple of nips or if it's related.
Think it will have to be a vet trip Even if it's just to put my mind at rest that i'm not going to catch mites! :lol: xx

Back