• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

7 days of Baytril - What's next?!?!?

bunnymum88

New Kit
My bunny Drake has been on Baytril for 7 days today for snuffles. His runny nose and wet eyes have cleared up but he is still sneezing.

Backstory is that I get married in little over two weeks and the rabbits go into bunny boarding for the 5 days we are on honeymoon, im worried they won't take him if he is ill but the vet said the next course of treatment would be penicillin injections but reading through previous posts this seems to be a lengthy process.

Can anyone offer some advice on if i should continue to give him the remainder of the baytril or take him to the vets for the next course of action. There is a few days left of the baytril and our vet said to just use it up.

Getting slightly nervous that we may have to cancel the honeymoon because we wouldn' have anybody to look after him if he is still ill. :(

Hiya :wave:

I would ask for a longer course of baytril....maybe 21 days? If the baytril is doing nothing for him though then maybe change to paediatric septrin...your vet should be able to order this or like they suggest go for the injections. Has he been prescribed any metacam? This is usually good for taking any swelling down and allowing the antibiotics to get to where they need to be as sometimes its difficult the antibiotic getting through the mucus. Have they had a good look at his teeth? Sometimes tooth problems can cause snuffles. Also you are not using wood shavings are you?...just wondering if its an allergy or something in his environment.

My bunny Drake has been on Baytril for 7 days today for snuffles. His runny nose and wet eyes have cleared up but he is still sneezing.

Backstory is that I get married in little over two weeks and the rabbits go into bunny boarding for the 5 days we are on honeymoon, im worried they won't take him if he is ill but the vet said the next course of treatment would be penicillin injections but reading through previous posts this seems to be a lengthy process.

Can anyone offer some advice on if i should continue to give him the remainder of the baytril or take him to the vets for the next course of action. There is a few days left of the baytril and our vet said to just use it up.

Getting slightly nervous that we may have to cancel the honeymoon because we wouldn' have anybody to look after him if he is still ill. :(

Definitely continue the baytril. It's the same in humans - you need to continue after the symptoms have cleared up otherwise the resistant bacteria that are there will live, and then you have a harder thing to clear up. How many more days of baytril do you have? Make an appointment for a day or two before you think you'll run out so you're not in a rush, and see what the vet recommends next.

In terms of whats next, a good bunny vet would likely continue the baytril for at least another few weeks... if not longer. The penicillin (it's usually depocillin in rabbits) injections are a long-term thing (a couple of months or longer), but many vets are happy to show the owner how to do it at home and it's very very easy. I've recently started injecting my bunny Nena and I was a little apprehensive, however the needle is so tiny that the bunny barely even feels it. If you think about it, when we don't look when we're being injected, it really doesn't hurt. The bunny has no concept that it's being injected - it just feels a tiny weeny scratch which could be anything for all he knows! Nena doesn't even stop eating :roll:

How long is your honeymoon?

Most bunny boarding places will accommodate medication. If yours don't, I'd definitely look for another as this should be a basic requirement! There should be a boarding service nearby who can medicate, and even inquire at the vets how much it'd be to board them there too. For a continuing medicated thing, I wouldn't say it's worth cancelling the honeymoon over. He's not in any/much pain, he's not clinging on to life - he'll be fine with the medication and decent level of care. There are many people on here who own boarding places and I'd say all that I know of are experienced with poorly bunnies and medication. Hopefully someone might come along saying they're nearby, but you could make a thread in rabbit chat asking for boarding recommendations near you (mentioning the need for medication while you're away) and hopefully you'll get some helpful replies!

I would contact the boarding facility and advise them of the illness. If it's infectious and your bun is sneezing, they may refuse to take him in order to prevent any other boarding buns being infected by him. Anybunny within about 6' of him would be at risk so IMO he should be housed in isolation so, if the boarder does accept him, precautions should be taken.

Years ago, I did some bunny boarding and if there were any signs of pasteurella or any other infection, then unless I had a vacant quarantine area, I wouldn't take the bun.

I would contact the boarding facility and advise them of the illness. If it's infectious and your bun is sneezing, they may refuse to take him in order to prevent any other boarding buns being infected by him. Anybunny within about 6' of him would be at risk so IMO he should be housed in isolation so, if the boarder does accept him, precautions should be taken.

Years ago, I did some bunny boarding and if there were any signs of pasteurella or any other infection, then unless I had a vacant quarantine area, I wouldn't take the bun.

Very good point, I hadn't thought about that. It's been a long day :lol:

Perhaps it's best to look for someone who can come to the house? Should still be possible to get someone.

Hi

Haven't read all this thread but I live in Hampshire and would be happy to look after your bun while you are on honeymoon.

I bond and board on a very small basis - only RU members - and I have a 'snuffles' bun of my own - see

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?384703-8-5-13-Another-vet-visit

so I am happy to inject/nebulise/do whatever is necessary.

I do have two other bunnies boarding with me from end May for a couple of weeks at least but by then Hovis and Frangipan will be bonded so your bun could stay in my bedroom with me.

None of my buns have caught snuffles from Furby - not even his wife - but I keep boarding buns in separate rooms anyway in case of referred aggression.

I do charge - I was made redundant last October, haven't found a proper job yet and have shoulder/neck problems which makes a lot of work difficult. Furby's vet bills, including the nebuliser, have increased my overdraft by about £600 - and is ongoing - so any work I can find is really appreciated.

If your boarding facility won't take Drake then I can either have him here or come and feed/medicate - whatever suits you.

Hi

Haven't read all this thread but I live in Hampshire and would be happy to look after your bun while you are on honeymoon.

I bond and board on a very small basis - only RU members - and I have a 'snuffles' bun of my own - see

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?384703-8-5-13-Another-vet-visit

so I am happy to inject/nebulise/do whatever is necessary.

I do have two other bunnies boarding with me from end May for a couple of weeks at least but by then Hovis and Frangipan will be bonded so your bun could stay in my bedroom with me.

None of my buns have caught snuffles from Furby - not even his wife - but I keep boarding buns in separate rooms anyway in case of referred aggression.

I do charge - I was made redundant last October, haven't found a proper job yet and have shoulder/neck problems which makes a lot of work difficult. Furby's vet bills, including the nebuliser, have increased my overdraft by about £600 - and is ongoing - so any work I can find is really appreciated.

If your boarding facility won't take Drake then I can either have him here or come and feed/medicate - whatever suits you.

:love:

Back