• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hallie was spayed today...advice plz

bunny-boo

Warren Scout
Hallie my French-lop was spayed today but I have not been able to get her to eat, I have blended veggies and her science selective and syringe fed her the last few hours , I will give another feed before bed, but no poos as yet and not eating herself, is this to be expected? thanks

I just had Ruby spayed last week and had to feed her that evening, which I did twice and then first thing the next day and afternoon, by pellet time which was 6pm the next day she was eating fine. HTH

No pain relief to bring home. .she has an injection to cover her for 24 hrs and vet said if she is in pain tomorrow to bring her back for more pain medication.

With all these vets sending buns home without pain relief after spays lately, I think they need to do some research!

She'll be in pain/groggy etc, Poppy and Lola didn't eat until 3am+ after their spay so just keep tempting her with yummy things, she'll probably get stuck in when you're asleep.

Definitely go back and get some pain relief though :)

definitely take her back for pain relief tomorrow, it' a very major operation and she should have metacam for about a week following the spay. it might take her a while to perk up but keep offering her delicious foods and hopefully she will eat herself soon :thumb:

I think what your seeing is quite normal, hopefully she will feeel better tomorrow and start to eat.
However, I would expect to be given pain relief as a matter of course to help with her recovery, for at least a few days after a spay.

I have metacam from one of my dogs so is it safe for rabbits then? Is it the same dose for rabbits 1mg/kg? I will order some from the vets too :) Thanks

I have metacam from one of my dogs so is it safe for rabbits then? Is it the same dose for rabbits 1mg/kg? I will order some from the vets too :) Thanks

She should be ok tonight as shes been given pain relief by injection... but I would insist on pain relief for her for the next five days at least.
A bunny in pain will not eat.. If youve got metacam in, just ring in the morning as they will have weighed her before her spay and will be able to give you an accurate dose....
Lots of eating vibes for your little girl xx

I agree with others on here.... I can not believe vets send bunnies home after such a major op without follow up pain relief :(

The usual dose is 0.2ml per kilo of rabbit for the dog metacam, but speak to your vet tomorrow morning before you give anything.
Try offering her all her favourite treats as well as things like fresh parsley and dandelions, they seem to go down best after operations.

Vets not giving pain relief to take home does make me mad, how can they not expect someone to be in pain the next day after they've cut them open? Just because rabbits don't show pain doesn't mean they don't feel it. Anyway I wish you loads of luck. Keep her warm, but not too hot. Fleeces or towels as bedding are better than hay so she doesn't poke her stomach with the hay as well.

After getting my bun I had to decide which local vet to go to. I phoned them both about spay costs. They were about the same in price except one vets gave me the option of pain relief. Rather than just adding it in to the cost of the spay ( slightly more expensive I know) they gave me an option at an added cost.
Needless to say I went with the vet that basically MADE me go home with pain relief! x

I had my 2 spayed last Thursday, I had to insist on metacam to bring home for them, and also I insisted on an appetite stimulant injection and they had subcutaneous fluids too. They came through the it all really well, ate on the first evening but not much, but the following day they were nomming normally apart from not eating so much hay as normal. Hopefully Hallie will be nomming loads today. Mine are back to being hay munching monsters as of yesterday! Mine really enjoyed hand picked grass and dandelions. Sending nomming vibes to Hallie. :D

Thanks everyone. ..we have continued to syringe feed her and we have had a small bowel movement. ..she has had more metacam and we are picking up bottle today to see her through. She is also having fiberflex I think its called. Feel awful having her spayed when I see her like this :(

I wish we could talk to them and explain that it's for their own good. Well I did talk to Ginger and Apricot and said I was sorry about it and it was necessary but they looked at me as if I was mad :lol: (might have a point there :lol:) sending more nomming vibes for Hallie, hope she feels better soon :thumb:

Back