• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Summerhouse ideas - anyone built one or a shed/wendyhouse?

catherine09

Mama Doe
So....seeing as we are still waiting to move house, I have taken to fill my time with designing my new garden, the main bits of it being the bunny areas.

All the acommodation is changing, my lot are moving into a large kennel setup which we have and know where that's going etc.

Then my plan is to get a summerhouse which I would heat in winter, this would house the guinea pigs, my foster bunny and indoor boarding in the 8ft double.

My question being, has anyone built a summerhouse/shed before? To fit in the space we want it to go it would be 17ft by 7ft, so an awkward size! I also want double glazed windows in it and planned to insulate it all, so in reality it might be just better to build it myself.

Has anyone any experience with this?

Last edited:
Thanks Jack. Tbh I'm not expecting many people on here to have built a shed/wendyhouse/summerhouse when you can get them so widely available, but thought there's no harm in asking! :D

So....seeing as we are still waiting to move house, I have taken to fill my time with designing my new garden, the main bits of it being the bunny areas.

All the acommodation is changing, my lot are moving into a large kennel setup which we have and know where that's going etc.

Then my plan is to get a summerhouse which I would heat in winter, this would house the guinea pigs, my foster bunny and indoor boarding in the 8ft double.

My question being, has anyone built a summerhouse/shed before? To fit in the space we want it to go it would be 17ft by 7ft, so an awkward size! I also want double glazed windows in it and planned to insulate it all, so in reality it might be just better to build it myself.

Has anyone any experience with this?

Hiya :wave:

I havent done so but I would be inclined to check the cost of building your own against ready built. If you can get one near to the dimesions that you want you could add an extra run or something. Some of the suppliers make bespoke versions as well.

Hope you get it sorted and I bet your buns will love whatever you do! :D

Hiya :wave:

I havent done so but I would be inclined to check the cost of building your own against ready built. If you can get one near to the dimesions that you want you could add an extra run or something. Some of the suppliers make bespoke versions as well.

Hope you get it sorted and I bet your buns will love whatever you do! :D

Hi

Thanks - quotes for uncustomised summerhouses at the sort of size I'm looking for start at about £1,000, then theres the cost of making it a custom size, insulation etc and boarding for the inside etc. Also want double glazed windows so would be difficult for the maker to cut holes the right size, so I would probably end up doing so.

To be honest, not sure how much it would all cost doing it myself. I looked at prices of T&G cladding/wood but got so confused with how much I would need etc, but I'm sure it would be less than the companies are charging - I mean they have to make a profit somewhere!

I can offer some advice you may need planning permission depending on size, height and location. If you want to write a list of questions I can see if I can answer them for you.

I can offer some advice you may need planning permission depending on size, height and location. If you want to write a list of questions I can see if I can answer them for you.

Checked it out, def don't need planning permission which is good :D

It's just generally I'm worried about the sort of support structure which would be needed to hold a roof of that size up. I have an idea of how I would go about doing this and me and my OH are pretty good at DIY and building things. Just really unsure on the roof :oops:

What you using for the frame?
The roof would span 7ft, you would need around 9 trusses spanning 600mm apart, the last two will be closer than 600mm, normally trusses are spaced either 400mm or 600mm same with joists.

Something the size of 17x7ft would need good trusses, not built like most sheds.

When I was having my hutch and run built by a local firm they were actually in the middle of building a summer house for someone in London - this was from Darlington! They only build to order.
No idea how much it cost but it looked fab. Can link if you want.

What you using for the frame?
The roof would span 7ft, you would need around 9 trusses spanning 600mm apart, the last two will be closer than 600mm, normally trusses are spaced either 400mm or 600mm same with joists.

Something the size of 17x7ft would need good trusses, not built like most sheds.

Hi

I was planning on actually going for a flat roof sloping front - back. My plan was to buy some thick wooden batons and space probably every 2ft, then mount the roof on top of that. I figured that would be more straight forward than having a pitched roof?

For the frame, I was going to, again, buy some thick wooden batons and have them 3' apart vertically, and then arrange strengthening beams between those about 2' apart horizontally, with the next set being at half height. I'm finding it hard to expain! :oops:

When I was having my hutch and run built by a local firm they were actually in the middle of building a summer house for someone in London - this was from Darlington! They only build to order.
No idea how much it cost but it looked fab. Can link if you want.

Oh right! Yes please - although all the custom built ones I've seen have been so very expensive :shock:

Hi

I was planning on actually going for a flat roof sloping front - back. My plan was to buy some thick wooden batons and space probably every 2ft, then mount the roof on top of that. I figured that would be more straight forward than having a pitched roof?

For the frame, I was going to, again, buy some thick wooden batons and have them 3' apart vertically, and then arrange strengthening beams between those about 2' apart horizontally, with the next set being at half height. I'm finding it hard to expain! :oops:
A flat roof would still need trusses and the truss is what holds a roof up. As most sheds are not very big, they use the sides, front and back to support the roof but 17ft x 7ft is a large area and would need trusses to support it, but it's down to you.

Thick of it like laying floor joists, they span the shortest distance and need to support the roof.

For the frame i would use what they call shed framing, its around 32mm x 50mm, the truss you could use the same or get something 38 x 69.

If you like, send me all the details, everything you want and i can give you a price or just advise you.

A flat roof would still need trusses and the truss is what holds a roof up. As most sheds are not very big, they use the sides, front and back to support the roof but 17ft x 7ft is a large area and would need trusses to support it, but it's down to you.

Thick of it like laying floor joists, they span the shortest distance and need to support the roof.

For the frame i would use what they call shed framing, its around 32mm x 50mm, the truss you could use the same or get something 38 x 69.

If you like, send me all the details, everything you want and i can give you a price or just advise you.

I don't think I fully understand what the trusses are then :oops: I thought that 7ft would be fine - lay the batons from the front to the back wall. I guess I've looked at my shed which is 6ft front to back with a flat roof which does the same. Would I need supports in the middle then?

Okay - then I was going to put tongue and groove panels over the top of the framing, I understand that is better than shiplap?

Daniel - what would you advise for the corners? If I shiplap upto the edges they are going to look quite ugly and might have small gaps in.

I think it really will be a bit out of my budget for you to come and do it, plus you're a million miles away from me and I doubt you could post a monster of a shed like this :lol: If you don't mind if I draw out a plan and send it to you?

Yes I imagine it would be expensive but they do quotes + when you look at the 'about us' page they've delivered all over the country. May give you some ideas anyway. I got a really solid hutch 6 x 2.5 x 2 ( takes 4 adults to move it)and 6x6 run with holes for the runaround etc for £200 including delivery + setting up because I was fairly local.

http://www.keithstimberproducts.co.uk/Summerhouses.php

I don't think I fully understand what the trusses are then :oops: I thought that 7ft would be fine - lay the batons from the front to the back wall. I guess I've looked at my shed which is 6ft front to back with a flat roof which does the same. Would I need supports in the middle then?

Okay - then I was going to put tongue and groove panels over the top of the framing, I understand that is better than shiplap?

Daniel - what would you advise for the corners? If I shiplap upto the edges they are going to look quite ugly and might have small gaps in.

I think it really will be a bit out of my budget for you to come and do it, plus you're a million miles away from me and I doubt you could post a monster of a shed like this :lol: If you don't mind if I draw out a plan and send it to you?

Sure you can send a plan to me, 7ft is not to bad but 17ft is. It's just putting a timber every 600mm long, shed framing timber is fine. tongue and groove cladding is better than shiplap, you want PTGVJ Redwood or Whitewood. Shiplap is okay but not as good as PTGVJ.

You would attach it to the frame and if you get a gap, you then place another piece of timber, say 22x44/69mm to cover the end gain of the cladding and hide any gaps you may get. Either way you should use some timber to cover the end gain even if it's just a cladding piece.

Back