• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Rabbits

As there have been many bonding threads and worries and questions I thought Id post this link I found
I found this quite informative and on the whole... very good

http://www.manchesterandsalfordrspca.org.uk/documents/bondingguiderevisedRuth.pdf

Looks interesting. There seem to be so many ways to bond. I have seen people advise putting them togeter, not touching and not separating (unless bad fighting occurs). This way looks good. Trying to work out a way of getting all mine near enough each other to prepare them for becoming the big six...

As there have been many bonding threads and worries and questions I thought Id post this link I found
I found this quite informative and on the whole... very good

http://www.manchesterandsalfordrspca.org.uk/documents/bondingguiderevisedRuth.pdf

Thanks for this. Very informative for the long bond method. I tried the short bond method and unfortunately they fought. I am now trying this method and we are seeing some promising signs of grooming through the separation panel. I was a bit unsure of the next steps but this is brilliant. Perhaps a admin could make it a sticky over in the bonding section.

That is absolutely brilliant, some very, very good advice there

I have read and seen, yes witnessed, some horrendous bonding done, the worst being 2 rabbits who had never ever seen each other before were put in a carrier for 10 minutes and becasue they hadn't killed each other by the end of 15 minutes they were classed as bonded and sent home with no advice, no wonder the new owner had horrendous problems when she got home. The female bunny died within 3 months:cry::cry::cry:

I detest forced bonding particularly when it's done in tiny spaces, I really think it's cruel on the animals, the stress on the bunnies must be horrendous for them.

We are very relaxed here, I don't have any barriers in the house and all the bunnies wander around and talk to who they want and cuddle up to who they want, there is no fighting or aggression and they are left to be with who they want to be with

I have read and seen, yes witnessed, some horrendous bonding done, the worst being 2 rabbits who had never ever seen each other before were put in a carrier for 10 minutes and becasue they hadn't killed each other by the end of 15 minutes they were classed as bonded and sent home with no advice, no wonder the new owner had horrendous problems when she got home. The female bunny died within 3 months:cry::cry::cry:
I detest forced bonding particularly when it's done in tiny spaces, I really think it's cruel on the animals, the stress on the bunnies must be horrendous for them.

We are very relaxed here, I don't have any barriers in the house and all the bunnies wander around and talk to who they want and cuddle up to who they want, there is no fighting or aggression and they are left to be with who they want to be with

:shock::shock::shock:
:(:(

Can I come to live with you, please.;)

I so agree with this. I would much rather take things very very slowly than force Rabbits to accept one another within a few days because it would make things easier for me.

I have never felt it to be right to use fear as a method of bonding Rabbits, I have never done it and I never will.

I so agree with this. I would much rather take things very very slowly than force Rabbits to accept one another within a few days because it would make things easier for me.

I have never felt it to be right to use fear as a method of bonding Rabbits, I have never done it and I never will.

Totally agree Jane, I have seen them petrified with fear and the 'bonders' say "oh that's normal, they will get used to each other", I think it's cruel and wicked

Me neither Jane , thats why i thought some of the above article may be of interest to some people who are just constantly being told to put two rabbits together who have never seen each other before..... in a teeny tiny space.. :(

Here is how we bond bunnies, very relaxed

This is the group of 3 in the kitchen, Rupert, Dilly Daydream and Poppy

Then sometimes Rupert and Dilly Daydream go out to the hall and cuddle up to Ginny and Duke

The sometimes Rupert goes in to the lounge and visits Fidget

And sometimes Dilly Daydream pops upstairs to visit Barney Grumpy Pants and Ellie

(Yes, Barney Grumpy Pants is a French Lop and Ellie is a tiny Dutch and they adore each other)

I think this is a much better way for bunnies to live

Last edited:
Yep! so long as you wander around and 'talk' to all the other bunnies and you don't fight :lol:

It sounds just the life I'd love. No fighting from me - as long as they cuddle up to me and don't leave me out or nibble my btm. ;)

So... all you experienced bonders. I have six rabbits, all neutered/spayed. A gentle pair of sisters, a more feisty male/female pair and two young brothers who have fallen out recently (one softy and one more forward going). I would like to create a group of six (but have plenty of space to create set ups). I would like to proceed as follows:
1. divide our 10 x 6 shed with 10 x 6 run down the middle
2. put a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch in a 10 x 6 run
3. put a double hutch in the final 10 x 6 run

Put rabbits into this set up all separted by solid partitions with so they can hear each other...

After monitoring how they respond, gradually GRADUALLY taking down solid paritions and making them into weld mesh.

Then should I bond them all in a neutral space once they have gone through the swapped bedding/swapped accommodation stage??

It seems a lot of rabbits to keep an eye on if something did go wrong... It would be just so amazing if they could all share the hutches/shed 30 x 6 run...

We followed the slow method with Bobo and Harley - VERY slow:shock: ... but given that Bobo gets scared so easily by things it was the best thing we did - just let him get to used to having Harley around over 4/5 months where he could see her, sniff at her etc but she was safe if he got aggressive - she was always fine. About a week before we bonded them properly we changed litter trays and blankets and when we did put them together properly - it was the easiest bond ever - gave each other a good sniff and that was that...bonded and happy.

Sheldon and Harley were a bit quicker but again gave them time to get used to seeing and smelling each other - they had time out together but then back into individual hutches when we weren't around and then the final bond was a car ride together to the vets which established the boss of the relationship (both were trying before but Sheldon backed down big time in the car). They are a very happy lovely pair now.

We would love to have them bonded as a quad - but again - taking our time and letting them get to know each other without any stress. We are doing it on 'bunny time' not 'human time' if that makes sense.

The thing is that all bunnies are different - and what works for one pair, won't work on another. One size does not fit all. You just have to use common sense and KNOW your bunnies and work out what is best for them.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the 'quick' bonding method - as long as it's clear the rabbits in question don't appear to be overly stressed. It's a judgement call that we all have to make. I've used both methods with equal success.

However, when you work full time, don't have the luxury of being at home all day every day and holidays can't be taken as and when you need to bunny bond, it's very difficult to do the 'long' method. So you have to weigh up the pros and cons of a potentially stressful 'quick' bonding method against the pros and cons of a lonely bunny.

In an ideal world, maybe we'd all do the long method but I don't feel cruel (I think that's a bit strong to be honest) for using the shorter method - which still takes a week to two weeks in my experience.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the 'quick' bonding method - as long as it's clear the rabbits in question don't appear to be overly stressed. It's a judgement call that we all have to make. I've used both methods with equal success.

However, when you work full time, don't have the luxury of being at home all day every day and holidays can't be taken as and when you need to bunny bond, it's very difficult to do the 'long' method. So you have to weigh up the pros and cons of a potentially stressful 'quick' bonding method against the pros and cons of a lonely bunny.

In an ideal world, maybe we'd all do the long method but I don't feel cruel (I think that's a bit strong to be honest) for using the shorter method - which still takes a week to two weeks in my experience.

Admittedly different bonding methods for different bunnies, like some have said what works for one doesnt work for another
However, I would never even consider a stressful or fearful bond, if it was just to suit myself...

Back