• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recurrent lack of appetite in healthy bun - no idea why!

Thumper98

Warren Scout
Leo has been having recurring episodes of lack of appetite and we just dont know why!

The last time he stopped eating, the vet said its probably a blocked caecum/problem with digestion. He was given parafin and then duphalac and then made a full recovery in 2 days. We thought it was because he had sneakily ate some of the new litter in his tray so we changed that. His teeth were also checked and the vet said not a problem, his weight is stable at 1.3 kg (in fact he put on 100g since late last year). That was 1 month ago approximately.

This morning he showed no enthusiasm to eat again. I hand fed him some dill, a bit of lettuce and some root parsley - all his usual foods, nothing out of the ordinary. He also ate some hay but i had to hand feed him his favourite bits. It's looking like we will have to bring him to the vets again tomorrow morning if he doesnt pick up. In himself, he's still alert, still tooth purrs when I stroke him, still runs in and out of his tunnel and still cuddling up to his sister. He even flopped after his breakfast today.

Does anyone have any experience for such episodes with seemingly healthy buns? What could be the reason and should I ask for an xray or something a little more probing to find out the root of the cause? If it's something serious internally, we want to know so it can be treated immediately and not just treat the symptoms.

thanks! :wave:

What is his fecal output like ?

How much does he drink each day ?

Has he ever had issues with excess calcium in his wee/bladder sludge/cystitis ?

I assume he is neutered ?

His fecal output is usually well-formed but not huge, darkish brown (i feed meadow hay that's very green + they get small portions of veg/herbs everyday), occasionally they get some fur stuck in during moulting time. No uneaten caecals lying around. Drinks normally - i dont know the exact amount but i havent noticed a drop or increase in drinking if that's any help.

How do i know if there's sludge in his wee? Their wee is sometimes orangey, sometimes a bit milky (I guess that means there is calcium in there?). I rotate the types of veg they get - example i know endive is higher in calcium so i feed that with other types that arent known to be high calcium like herbs. I mix up their menu everyday.

Yes, definitely neutered!

Just back from the vets close to my home just before they closed for the day. They are not my usual vets but wanted to get him seen today.

The vet said once again that it must be a problem of digestion/transit and gave him an injection to help with that. Was also prescribed laxatone which is paraffin based. The box says its for dogs and cats but he assured me its ok to use in rabbits and same usage as the normal paraffin. The general medical exam went fine, his teeth are not the problem, hes alert and his weight is same as before.

I asked if an xray could get to the root of the problem as i dont want this recurring every month! Was told to come back if he doesnt feel better and consider an xray then.

Any thoughts from anyone would be very much appreciated! Anyone tried Laxatone and what else can i do? Poor Leo is traumatised from his vet trip even though it was only a 3 min drive and a short consultation, and actually jumped on my shoulder and onto my back at the vets! I feel awful for having to put him through this :cry:

A paraffin type laxative is not really appropriate as it will simply coat ingesta with oil, preventing absorption of water. Dehydrated ingesta is likely to increase the risk of a full obstruction

What was the drug given by injection ?

Was pain relief given ?

Did the Vet comment on his/her exact findings on palpating your Rabbits abdomen- eg was the stomach very full ? Was there a lot of gas ?
Was the cecum full or 'doughy' ?

Back