• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit with no front teeth

jwr

Banned
Hi

i have been offered a rabbit with no front teeth she had them removed due to misalignment , i would be bonding her with my buck , is their anything i need to really take into consideration with her i worry that she wouldn't be able to defend herself if the bonding went wrong and as far as diet goes would she still be able to eat hay so that the back molars stay worn?

any advice would be gratefully received

many thanks

I have no experience but I think they can still eat hay if you chop it up for them.

Hope somebody comes along with better advice for you. x

Gummy bunnies manage remarkably well.

The only thing you will need to remember is that all food needs to be able to reach the molars, so veg needs to be cut up or grated. Some manage hay fine like normal and others need it cut up slightly to make the individual strands easier to manage. Another thing to be aware of is that if out on grass some buns struggle to bite the strands off, so take much longer to graze. Cutting grass and picking forage can make it much easier for them to get the amount they need... And they'll love you forever!

Ooh, you'll need to check the missing front teeth every so often to ensure that they are not growing back and that any peg teeth don't grow too long as to be a problem :p

oh thats great thank you i was worried that if she was unable to eat hay at all her back molars would eventually grow spurs so thats good to know, what do you think about the bond as she will be more vulnerable ??

oh thats great thank you i was worried that if she was unable to eat hay at all her back molars would eventually grow spurs so thats good to know, what do you think about the bond as she will be more vulnerable ??

To be honest I have never seen that be an issue, bunny fights tend to start off with claws rather than teeth, they are still perfectly able to defend themselves!

Back