• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why is my rabbit's head tilted?

Itsamyjane

New Kit
I went out to see to my rabbit this morning and found that her head was tiled to her left, she can still walk and eat fine as she munched happily on the veg I gave her, but after researching I found that this could be a sign on very serious things including cancer. I'm not sure if she can make her way upstairs in her hutch as her food and water from the previous day was left untouched. Please help!

The headtilt can be a sign of E.Cuniculi, or a middle ear infection, which can be very serious and your bunny needs to see a vet ASAP. can you move her upstairs to where her food and water and hay is, and block off the ramp so she cannot fall back down, then try and get a vet appt for today ideally? Good luck!

More info: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

Please please try and get her to the vets ASAP, as bunny may be uncomfortable and needs to be started on medication if it is E.C as soon as possible to have the best chance of survival. If it is E.C, then it can be a very long stint, and it can be very time consuming to help your bunny recover BUT it can be done, lots of people on here including myself have had buns with E.C. and lots of them have made full recoveries, although some bunnys heads stay tilted.

Last edited:
The headtilt can be a sign of E.Cuniculi, or a middle ear infection, which can be very serious and your bunny needs to see a vet ASAP. can you move her upstairs to where her food and water and hay is, and block off the ramp so she cannot fall back down, then try and get a vet appt for today ideally? Good luck!

I agree with this ^. If you call your vet now you can probably take him before closing time.

As already said head tilt is a common symptom of EC. Although it can be caused by other things.

You really need to get your bun to the vets today.

It could be due to an ear infection or EC.

Your bun is likely to be in some discomfort, and getting you need to get her to a *rabbit savvy* vet ASAP.

Make sure her food and water are nearby and she can't fall off anything.

Good luck :wave:

she needs to see a vet asap, its a common sympton of e-cuniculi and she will need treatment off vets and also a 28 day of panacur if it is EC

it could possibly be an ear infection too, though so its best to get her to the vets to check, as leaving it untreated will only make it worse :wave:

Back