• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kennel or shed?

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
Which would you advise? I am looking at a budget of around 300 to make a second outdoor set up for at least 2 rabbits. I have looked at Boyle's pet housing but they dont (yet) have any pics of their kennels or rabbit sheds. Could anybody help by posting pics of sheds and kennels that they have please...

6x4 shed £200, tongue and groove from a company off eBay :)

Run £50 but once the grass has grown back their wooden run will be going back on but that was only £70 :)

4BDF4B82-1488-415B-8B9E-9BD285C231E5-216-00000033708674C7_zps572b3ce5.jpg

Inside space -

DSC_0336_zps79ba1554.jpg

6x4 shed £200, tongue and groove from a company off eBay :)

Run £50 but once the grass has grown back their wooden run will be going back on but that was only £70 :)

4BDF4B82-1488-415B-8B9E-9BD285C231E5-216-00000033708674C7_zps572b3ce5.jpg

Inside space -

DSC_0336_zps79ba1554.jpg

That looks great. Love the way you have done the inside. Looks really cosy - must get the mesh up in my current shed... edt done it.

Last edited:
I personally prefer shed/run setups as you can often personalise it more and make it fit your space etc. Nothing wrong with kennel setups either, and having a kennel setup means you can always attach another run in the future without it looking a bit silly with 2 runs!

I personally prefer shed/run setups as you can often personalise it more and make it fit your space etc. Nothing wrong with kennel setups either, and having a kennel setup means you can always attach another run in the future without it looking a bit silly with 2 runs!

Kennels look more solid somehow. But I do like shed/run combos...

Kennels look more solid somehow. But I do like shed/run combos...

It very much depends on what shed is bought and how people 'treat' them before use. My kennel is insulated and boarded over, so it's ridiculously solid. It's like an indoor room! But if people don't insulate/board over anything, I can see that a kennel would look more solid since it's all combined :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dog-kenne...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item2a2cca64d7

I am pretty sure that is the company (in Widnes). I live in Southport. Think mine is an 8ft one - but not sure. I have a cosy hutch in the 'Kennel' area and am also able to store brushes, pet carrier etc in there. My rabbits have two ways in/out of hutch area, (like a narrow hall way each side, and centre area, which is draft free) which I think they find reassuring - they do not feel trapped as such!

You can make all kinds of requests for alterations i.e. stable doors, position of door, proportions of kennel/run etc. which did not cost me anymore. It is incredibly well made and the two blokes did a fantastic job putting it up. Highly recommended :)

For me, kennel :)

Hi Tulsi/Hi Cara :wave:

I have been looking at these for my buns.

Cara - what is it like for cleaning? Is your kennel tall enough for you to get inside to clean it?

A lot of them are 5 ft high at the front which is too low for me. I am going to need at least two kennels like this as my buns live in seperate groups - yours looks like really good quality.

Thank you :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dog-kenne...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item2a2cca64d7

I am pretty sure that is the company (in Widnes). I live in Southport. Think mine is an 8ft one - but not sure. I have a cosy hutch in the 'Kennel' area and am also able to store brushes, pet carrier etc in there. My rabbits have two ways in/out of hutch area, (like a narrow hall way each side, and centre area, which is draft free) which I think they find reassuring - they do not feel trapped as such!

You can make all kinds of requests for alterations i.e. stable doors, position of door, proportions of kennel/run etc. which did not cost me anymore. It is incredibly well made and the two blokes did a fantastic job putting it up. Highly recommended :)

Thank you. It does look wonderful and solid.

Hi Tulsi/Hi Cara :wave:

I have been looking at these for my buns.

Cara - what is it like for cleaning? Is your kennel tall enough for you to get inside to clean it?

A lot of them are 5 ft high at the front which is too low for me. I am going to need at least two kennels like this as my buns live in seperate groups - yours looks like really good quality.

Thank you :)

Hello. I already have one shed/aivery set up but have 4 set ups needed now cos two of my boys have fallen out. This would be for a couple and the kennel looks simpler to put up... I would also like to know about height for cleaning.

I guess you could always add runs onto a kennel. I really cant decide!!!

You can but the indoor part isn't as easy to extend and I like the extra indoor room a large shed gives. Both make fab set ups either way so I wouldn't worry too much, just go for the one you prefer! :thumb:

You can but the indoor part isn't as easy to extend and I like the extra indoor room a large shed gives. Both make fab set ups either way so I wouldn't worry too much, just go for the one you prefer! :thumb:

Good point. I am enjoying having space with my lovely girls in their big shed.
20130421_184234_zps5c30ec8c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi again

I've looked at sheds but can't decide as the garden is small. The area that I have to put a kennel or shed on is 20 ft long and around 6 ft deep and will be for two set ups with a run each - 10 ft for each one. That amounts to around a third of the width of the garden.

I keep going round in circles trying to decide :D

Hi again

I've looked at sheds but can't decide as the garden is small. The area that I have to put a kennel or shed on is 20 ft long and around 6 ft deep and will be for two set ups with a run each - 10 ft for each one. That amounts to around a third of the width of the garden.

I keep going round in circles trying to decide :D

So two 4 x 6 sheds (one at each end) and 6 feet of run each in the middle... or two kennels end to end... Guess you look at sheds and kennels and see how it all costs up and how easy/hard it all looks to assemble... I am in the same process atm. Kennels just look so neat, but sheds seem a bit cheaper!! - circles for me too :lol:

So two 4 x 6 sheds (one at each end) and 6 feet of run each in the middle... or two kennels end to end... Guess you look at sheds and kennels and see how it all costs up and how easy/hard it all looks to assemble... I am in the same process atm. Kennels just look so neat, but sheds seem a bit cheaper!! - circles for me too :lol:

Yep - you've got it :lol:

My buns go crazy if they see each other so I will need to have some sort of solid divide.

The kennel that Cara has appeals to me as it is protected on 3 sides with the mesh at the front. I should imagine it would be good for weather like we have at the mo - I thought it may need a tarpaulin over the front if it was really freezing or something, especially at night. Maybe a roll down cover? :)

Pro's and con's with both options. It really is horses for courses :)

My kennel/run does have an added run. My rabbits are in the garden all day but when we go away and someone else looks after them, we can add on the extra space, accessed by the stable doors, and remove it at all other times.

The run is very, very easy to clean. This is prob one of the advantagous points as it is raised off the ground ever so slightly and so everything can be washed away, if necessary, into the gutter we have created at the back of the run. I have put good quality 'plastic window type thingy' over 95 per cent of the open window space to prevent draughts and rain driving through. Where height is concerned, I do probably stoop a little but had to think about that, as I was unaware until I thought about it. So not a problem for me.

The hutch is less easy to access, mainly because of our set-up in the 'kennel' area, which of course has a floor. It need not necessarily be so though. In actual fact our rabbits make little or no mess at all in the hutch area so it does not need to be cleaned out at all, or very rarely if that. I would have put a photo of the hutch area up, but my husband is away at the moment and has the camera :roll:

I particularly like the run as it does not feel enclosed, is very bright and airy and the rabbits can sit on the chairs and have a good viewpoint outside. Stable doors on whichever accomodation, shed or run, are brilliant :)

Last edited:
Back